cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero VII and Windows Update Issues

cashxx
Level 7
I'm having all kinds of issues......I just installed a new Asus Maximus Hero VII with 4790k processor. Formatted my Samsung EVO 840 500GB drive and installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Already had CD made with latest drivers from Asus website for my board made and installed the chipset and other drivers.

Then I do Windows Update and get through the first 200 or so updates and reboot. Run Windows Update again and have about 22 updates and it fails installing 14 of them.

Formatted the drive and used the drivers off the cd that came with the board and same issue.

Formatted again and didn't install any drivers except for the LAN driver and did the Windows updates only and same issue.

Stopped Windows Update and Deleted the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and rebooted and ran Windows Update again and same issue.

Error Code:
code 800706F7

Updates look mainly like security updates so not sure what the issue is.

My hardware and software:
Windows Pro 7 64-Bit
Asus Maximus Hero VII with 2012 BIOS Update but by the sounds of it, may be better running 1104.
Intel 4790k with Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB SSD
HAF 932 Case
G.Skill 16GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB 04G-P4-2974-KR
Antec 1000 Watt TruePower Quattro Power Supply

Was running an Asus ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard with a 920 2.66ghz overclocked to 3.6ghz and V8 Cooler Master heat sink and 6GB of OCZ Reaper memory before without issues. Also had two 480 nvidia cards in sli.

Anyone ever have this issue or an idea on what it could be? Other than the updates failing for no reason that I can find the system seems to be stable.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I had issues with windows update however I've seen it with other boards from time to time. I had to install the updates a few at a time in order to get them to work on my laptop last week with win 7 x64. I didn't have the same problems with win 8.1 pro which I installed on both my desktop and laptop between yesterday and today. If you keep seeing problems with win 7 you should consider win 8 and with classic shell it looks like win 7.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

I tried doing one at a time and no luck. Still get the same error code. I have Windows 8.1 sitting next to me here......that is my next thing to try, but I dread using Windows 8!! Wish 10 would be out and I just switch to that, but for right now I would rather stick with Windows 7.

I just can't get over this issue, never seen this before! All the patches seem to be are security updates for Windows......Microsoft can't get that right either??....lol

Thanks for the reply!!

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I had trouble booting windows 7 even with multiple clean installs so I moved to 8.1 pro. It actually interfaces with the uefi bios so my bios screen and my boot screen are one and the same screen. Windows 7 took multiple times to load for me almost never loaded on the first attempt. It would almost always reset the bios at the loading windows text or the first sign of the windows logo.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

cashxx
Level 7
Well I'm not sure what changed.....I came home tonight and formatted the drive again and installed Windows 7. Discovered the Asus AutoInstall button when the CD launched and just installed everything. Ran Windows Update and they all installed.

When I ran Windows Update tonight it went from 193 updates from yesterday to 123 today. Had a bunch of optional updates of about 53 and left them alone.

Running stable now......just got done installing burning software, Office, a few games and things look fine. Device Manager is clean......all updates are installed and looks good!

Either Microsoft had stuff screwed up or you almost have to install everything by using that AutoInstall button. I have never installed everything and have always did the chipset drivers first and then any ball bats in the device manager I installed the appropriate drivers until they were all gone and never had a problem until with this board.

Fun Fun!!

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Glad you got it all sorted out.

Karlo666
Level 7
I dunno why you complain about Windows updates.
Its same for me.
After i install OS and run updates(about 200 downloads 1st time) it fails installing some of them.
I just rerun updates and its fine.

You shouldnt worry about it.

In my 15 years I have never had that issue unless something was wrong. Things are fine now though. Not sure what the issue was. Only thing I did differently was the way I installed the drivers.

Backfire1
Level 7
It is possible you did not have your drivers installed correctly. Glad you figured it out. Have a great holiday.

moseng
Level 7
Glad it worked out. In another life I did numerous windows updates on too many pc's to count. In case someone else has a similar issue here is a quick process that usually works to "un-stick" updates. In fact I had to do it on Windows 8.1 a few days ago and it worked great.

Open services and stop windows update service.
Open explorer, go to the Windows folder and find a folder called SoftwareDistribution.
Delete or move the SoftwreDistribution folder out of the Windows folder.
Start Software Update from Services or best to just reboot at this point. A new SoftwareDistribution will be created.
Start Microsoft Update and it should work.
Good luck.