cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on BIOS 203 for G74SX

Lorca
Level 7
I have a simple question and perhaps I'll be answering my own question. I still have the bios version that came with my laptop(201) and honestly, I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. So my logic tells me that if it isn't broken why fix it. Is it wise to update even if I don't have, apperently, any problems or should I stay with the old version? And btw, what new features/fixes does 203 bring to the table? Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

fuzon1337
Level 10
Lorca wrote:
So my logic tells me that if it isn't broken why fix it.

Bingo! 😉

If you don't have any problem with your computer, you don't have to update the BIOS. As I would say, don't mess with something that is working as it should do! 🙂
Look at SUPPORT ASUS and go to "BIOS". There can you read what is new in the newer versions of the BIOS.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

hieu199300
Level 7
BIOS 203 version is awesome. It fixes numpad problem and 3D switch function.

I think it's almost criminal that Asus doesn't specify that ONE single method, and make those instructions very clear.

WinFlash is B.S. and their techs know it. But I guess marketing wins out, and they insist on that extra bullet point in the "features" list.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Lorca wrote:
I have a simple question and perhaps I'll be answering my own question. I still have the bios version that came with my laptop(201) and honestly, I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. So my logic tells me that if it isn't broken why fix it. Is it wise to update even if I don't have, apperently, any problems or should I stay with the old version? And btw, what new features/fixes does 203 bring to the table? Thanks.

Agreed. If you're not experiencing any issues known to be addressed by a new BIOS, why bother? What's the rush? I think Asus even says that somewhere in the documentation.

I like to use my computers for more than beta-testing manufacturers' new drivers ;), so I have no problem waiting until the reviews come in on new updates. The latest-and-greatest seems to bring headaches as often as it bring imrovements. (I broke my own rule with that freaking iOS5...and now I have a practically useless 3GS to show for it. :mad:)

Boosted_R
Level 8
Bios 203 works great, I would avoid BIOS 202 as it causes the Nvidia driver to crash...
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

I think that must be configuration-dependent. I used a G74SX for a month with BIOS 202 and never had issues with the nVida driver. That was a clean install, though, so maybe there some other piece of software in the OEM installation that interacts with them both.....an Asus axis of evil. 😉

Retired
Not applicable
I flashed the BIOS of my G74SX from version 201 to 202 and then 203 using EasyFlash. The first update from 201 to 202 went worked perfectly fine. The second update from 202 to 203 was concluded by the EasyFlash utility announcing that everything had worked fine and that the computer would restart. That never happened: the computer was completely dead, i.e. it was not possible anymore to switch it on and none of the LEDs even announced that the AC was connected.
Does anybody share my less than optimal flashing experience?

Wonko55 wrote:
I flashed the BIOS of my G74SX from version 201 to 202 and then 203 using EasyFlash. The first update from 201 to 202 went worked perfectly fine. The second update from 202 to 203 was concluded by the EasyFlash utility announcing that everything had worked fine and that the computer would restart. That never happened: the computer was completely dead, i.e. it was not possible anymore to switch it on and none of the LEDs even announced that the AC was connected.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, many people have shared your bad experience.

You'll need to RMA the laptop to Asus for repair; a bricked BIOS can't be user-repaired. Fortunately, it shouldn't take very long, and Asus will cover it under warranty. Contact one of the mods here to help you set up the RMA. The sooner you get it started, the sooner ou'll be up & running again.

PS: I think there's an authorized repair shop in/near Seatle. Maybe they can set you up for local repair.

Wonko55 wrote:

Yes, a quick search through the forums here will reveal that this has been experienced by a number of people. You will need to RMA your laptop and have ASUS repair it, the update bricked it.

For future reference, BIOS updates should be done by putting the new BIOS image on a FAT32-formatted USB stick and then use the BIOS update function from within the BIOS itself. Updating the BIOS from within Windows or by using an NTFS-formatted device has shown to be problematic for some.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool: