cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Rant -or- How I learned to stop worrying and hate the g751JT-DH72

tjbc
Level 8
It seems clear to me that there are a lot of people who, like me, see the massive potential of the g751 base model (G751JT-CH71 approx. $1,500 USD). At that price point, with that awesome processor/vidcard combo, the sweet IPS screen, the great cooling system and minimal fan noise, all the video outputs, and everything else we all love, it looks like $1500 is money well spent. But then, as sure as the earth goes 'round the sun, you invariably end up looking at specs of the next model in the line, just to see what would merit a $400 increase in cost, and you realize the only difference is a 256GB SSD. What?!? We all exclaim! - I could buy a top of the line 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD and install it myself and save a bunch of cash! Best of both worlds! Well, all of us that have been diligently reading these forums know that this dream is not as simple as it seems, from the missing mounting bracket to the many issues people have run into trying to clone the 1TB HDD the system ships with onto a smaller SSD, it's enough of a hassle to make some people consider just dropping the extra coin and buying the ($1900) G751JT-DH72. I almost came to that conclusion earlier today, until I revisited some retailer websites and saw something that completely annihilates any thoughts I had about purchasing the JT-DH72. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the DH72, a unit with a $400 upcharge from the base model does not include a PCIe SSD! The 256 SSD upgrade is SATA3! Only the JY models come with a PCIe SSD! That makes the JT-DH72 completely and utterly unbuyable in my humble opinion.

This image is from Amazon.com, but you will find similar spec's listed at any other retailer that bothers to be specific about it. Check HIDevolution, and you will notice that the DH72 they are selling for $1900 offers PCIe as an upgrade, at a minimum of $300 more than the $1900 it starts at!

At this point, it seems if you want an M.2 PCIe SSD as your OS drive your only logical choices are to buy the base model and hope that you can install it securely with foam and tape and eyes of newt or whatever is necessary and successfully clone the original HDD, or, shell out an extra $1,000 and buy the -JY.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
That does appear to be the case. That's quite a markup but I guess some people are shy even to install a second hard drive/SSD on their own?

Another option would be installing win8 from scratch rather than cloning. If you're comfortable working on machines that might be less of a headache. If you're concerned about losing the factory restore partition you could make a backup of the whole disk before wiping it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

hmscott
Level 12
tjbc wrote:
It seems clear to me that there are a lot of people who, like me, see the massive potential of the g751 base model (G751JT-CH71 approx. $1,500 USD). At that price point, with that awesome processor/vidcard combo, the sweet IPS screen, the great cooling system and minimal fan noise, all the video outputs, and everything else we all love, it looks like $1500 is money well spent. But then, as sure as the earth goes 'round the sun, you invariably end up looking at specs of the next model in the line, just to see what would merit a $400 increase in cost, and you realize the only difference is a 256GB SSD. What?!? We all exclaim! - I could buy a top of the line 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD and install it myself and save a bunch of cash! Best of both worlds! Well, all of us that have been diligently reading these forums know that this dream is not as simple as it seems, from the missing mounting bracket to the many issues people have run into trying to clone the 1TB HDD the system ships with onto a smaller SSD, it's enough of a hassle to make some people consider just dropping the extra coin and buying the ($1900) G751JT-DH72. I almost came to that conclusion earlier today, until I revisited some retailer websites and saw something that completely annihilates any thoughts I had about purchasing the JT-DH72. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the DH72, a unit with a $400 upcharge from the base model does not include a PCIe SSD! The 256 SSD upgrade is SATA3! Only the JY models come with a PCIe SSD! That makes the JT-DH72 completely and utterly unbuyable in my humble opinion.

This image is from Amazon.com, but you will find similar spec's listed at any other retailer that bothers to be specific about it. Check HIDevolution, and you will notice that the DH72 they are selling for $1900 offers PCIe as an upgrade, at a minimum of $300 more than the $1900 it starts at!

At this point, it seems if you want an M.2 PCIe SSD as your OS drive your only logical choices are to buy the base model and hope that you can install it securely with foam and tape and eyes of newt or whatever is necessary and successfully clone the original HDD, or, shell out an extra $1,000 and buy the -JY.

tjbc, this was discovered a while back, only the JY has configurations with the M.2 PCIE SSD.

I think there might be a lower priced JY configuration that has the 2.5" SSD as well, so be careful 🙂

tjbc
Level 8
Well shoot, I thought I had been pretty thorough in my forum reading but I guess I somehow glossed over that, it was new info to me and it was quite shocking, I mean, even when I thought the $1900 model had a PCIe I thought it was overpriced, but now, I'm speechless.

cablebandit
Level 7
i got my g751jy from ncix for 1927.00 USD. I felt the extra ram, fast ssd and 980m were worth the upgrade price. I dont know if the dvd drive is any different from a lower equipped model