cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! loss of brightness control after sleep

Boom_austin
Level 7
Im having an issue with my g751jy laptop. when i wake my computer up from sleep (opening the lid) i can no longer adjust my brightness on the screen. Even if i go into power options and physically move the slider over it snaps back to wherever it was originally. When i use the fn keys the animation of brightness up or down the popup animation works but has no effect. the keyboard brightness and sound both work fine even turning the display off and on works. i am running windows 7 have have tried windows 7, 8 and 8.1's atk driver package. the only thing that will fix the issue if i do a complete restart. but if i close the lid and sleep then wake it up the functionality is gone. i can acutally use a 3rd party program like desktop lighter to adjust the brightness sort of.

Some of these issues may be due to the fact im running windows 7 instead of the pre installed 8.1 but any help would be greatly appriciated
for everything else i updated the bios to the latest, same with the nvidia, chipset, sound and other drivers. i also installed a 1tb crucial ssd so thats a change from stock but the issue also happened on the original m.2 ssd
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
Boom_austin wrote:
Im having an issue with my g751jy laptop. when i wake my computer up from sleep (opening the lid) i can no longer adjust my brightness on the screen. Even if i go into power options and physically move the slider over it snaps back to wherever it was originally. When i use the fn keys the animation of brightness up or down the popup animation works but has no effect. the keyboard brightness and sound both work fine even turning the display off and on works. i am running windows 7 have have tried windows 7, 8 and 8.1's atk driver package. the only thing that will fix the issue if i do a complete restart. but if i close the lid and sleep then wake it up the functionality is gone. i can acutally use a 3rd party program like desktop lighter to adjust the brightness sort of.

Some of these issues may be due to the fact im running windows 7 instead of the pre installed 8.1 but any help would be greatly appriciated
for everything else i updated the bios to the latest, same with the nvidia, chipset, sound and other drivers. i also installed a 1tb crucial ssd so thats a change from stock but the issue also happened on the original m.2 ssd

Boom_austin, it looks like this problem has been around for a long time, with no solution I have found so far, and now that I read this paragraph I recall the problem myself. Try this work around:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/08a3eb1d-b698-4639-af4b-5278b721fcdc/brigh...

"Many people having problems with the brightness control (doesnt work) when you resume your notebook from sleep/hibernate. I noticed that the problem only occurs if
you set the action (sleep/hibernate) for when you closing the lid. But if you set the sleep/hibernate action for the powerbutton, the brightness works fine on resume."

And, this one was my first thought, but it takes steps after waking up, the first method shouldn't

"This usually works for me when the brightness setting gets stuck in the min/max settings:

Hit Windows key and start typing Device Manager. Go to Device Manager -> expand display adapters -> right click on the child, click "Disable". Once the screen reloads, right click and click on "Enable"."

And, then there is this one to try:

"Simply close the lid. Open it again and ur problem is solved."

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you 🙂

Thanks for the reply hmscott. i tried your little work around with the power button and closing the lid. unfortunately that actually didn't help at all with the problem.
I have heard horror storied about disabling your display driver in device manager where the screen goes black and stays that way and the computer is essentially bricked. so im heasatent to try that but thank you for the suggestion
even if i go into start then sleep or hibernate the problem still occurs.

Boom_austin wrote:
Thanks for the reply hmscott. i tried your little work around with the power button and closing the lid. unfortunately that actually didn't help at all with the problem.
I have heard horror storied about disabling your display driver in device manager where the screen goes black and stays that way and the computer is essentially bricked. so im heasatent to try that but thank you for the suggestion
even if i go into start then sleep or hibernate the problem still occurs.

Boom_austin, those aren't my workarounds, but I have used them before, and you can find those and more at that URL, and here are a few more to check out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+brightness+after+sleep&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Disabling and enabling an interface via Device Manager is normal debugging behavior, you won't brick your laptop. If you are concerned about it, hook up an external monitor first, so you can get back into the Device Manager should the built in display "go black"

Just for you, I did it myself, and the screen blanked and came back after disabling, and the same for enabling. 🙂

I think you need to disable the Power Button Sleep action before trying to invoke Sleep from menu... or did you already try that?

Good luck 🙂

thanks for the help i tried everything including disabling the gpu and nothing solves mine other than a restart 😞 if you come across anything new please comment 🙂 maybe we will get it figured out someday

Boom_austin wrote:
thanks for the help i tried everything including disabling the gpu and nothing solves mine other than a restart 😞 if you come across anything new please comment 🙂 maybe we will get it figured out someday

Boom_austin, I think my last fix suggestion is the worst, go back to Windows 8.1 😉

hahahaha funny guy 😛 thats not happening :P. maybe when windows 10 comes out i will upgrade. i tried the beta release and its a major improvement over 8.1