cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First timer for OC in need of help :D

zaxaz
Level 7
Hi. i recently started streaming the Crew and find that i need some more out of my CPU i always knew this wold happen one day so i got the right edition from start 🙂

i hope Nate152 got time to help a total OC Newbi 😄

My system
Motherboard: Maximus VI hero
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k 3.5 GHZ (non OC)
CPU cooler: Cooler masterSeidon 120V
Video Card: Asus GTX 770 Ti 2GB OC
Memory: HyperX Beast 16GB
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hello there zaxaz and welcome to the ROG forum.

What I'd like you to do is download ROG realbench, real temp 3.70 and cpu-z. Once you get these three programs installed post back here and we will begin overclocking your cpu.

Post the speed of your ram for me too please.

zaxaz
Level 7
programs Done...

Rams. is a bit missed up 😛
Block 1
8Gb 12800 (800MHz) DDR3-1600
Block 2 & 3
4Gb 14200 (899MHz) DDR3-1778

Here is a base line after 3 hrs The Crew.

Nate152
Thank you

Before we do any overclocking I would like you to go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults. Boot to windows and open up ROG realbench and real temp 3.70.

Run the Realbench stress test for say 5 minutes and post the maximum temperature real temp is showing. Temperature controls how far you will be able to overclock your cpu. This will give us an idea of how far we can overclock. We don't want to see temps above 75c.

Post your maximum temps please.

Here is result. all in bios is default. tho i am running raid on the 2 ssd tho so that is set back
5-6 min of the stress test

Nate152
OK, Let's see how well your seidon 120 can handle 1.25v. Your cpu core temps are good and are pretty equal, this is good.

Go into the bios on the extreme tweaker tab and set the ai overclock tuner to manual. Sync all cores and set the cpu core ratio to 42 and set the cpu core voltage to 1.25v. F10 and Enter to save and exit.

Open up realbench, real temp and cpu-z.

Run the realbench stress test for 5 minutes again monitoring the temp with real temp and check cpu-z to see that the core voltage is 1.25v.

Temp wll be higher now. Increasing the cpu core voltage will increase the temp. Post your maximum temperature again for me please.

zaxaz
Level 7
k done...
i noted that it hovered from 68-72 most of the time.. only peaked to the max for short moments..

Nate152
All right, 1.25v looks to be the maximum voltage for you.

Now go back into the bios and set the cpu core ratio to 43, F10 and Enter.

Run the realbench stress test again for 5 minutes to see if you are still stable.

If you are stable after testing, go into the bios and set the cpu core ratio to 44 and test again. If 44 is unstable back it down to 43.

Once we get your max overclock we will set your ram.

zaxaz
Level 7
k.. considering getting me a cooler with bigger radiator, think that will buy me more? if my cpu are able to get close to the magic 5GHz i read about very few of them can 🙂

Nate152
The only way I've seen anyone hit 5.0GHz with a 4770k is by delidding, and you're not guaranteed to hit 5.0GHz even with custom cooling.

All cpu's are not created equal the voltage will vary from a little to a lot to hit the same speed.

So what is the outcome 4.3GHz or 4.4GHz?