cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 JY out of the box, very slow to launch any software + GPU fan at 100% on idle

Kosmo
Level 7
Hello friends 😄

I just got a G751 JY, just updated windows 8.1 an nvidia drivers and most of my soft are veryyyyy slow to load. (For example Battle.net launcher takes 30 seconds from clicking it to the screen appearing)
I installed a bunch of software after checking posts here. I've got AIDA64, HWinfo64, gpuz and asus gpu tweak. I'm not always sure what to check. The only abnormal thing I have noticed so far is the Gpu fan running at 100% all the time on idle (while gpu load is 0%).

Any idea on what could cause the problem ?
4 REPLIES 4

Visa_Declined
Level 7
I would uninstall all that stuff, revert back to older drivers, do system restore, etc.

hmscott
Level 12
Kosmo wrote:
Hello friends 😄

I just got a G751 JY, just updated windows 8.1 an nvidia drivers and most of my soft are veryyyyy slow to load. (For example Battle.net launcher takes 30 seconds from clicking it to the screen appearing)
I installed a bunch of software after checking posts here. I've got AIDA64, HWinfo64, gpuz and asus gpu tweak. I'm not always sure what to check. The only abnormal thing I have noticed so far is the Gpu fan running at 100% all the time on idle (while gpu load is 0%).

Any idea on what could cause the problem ?

Kosmo, all those things are normal things to install, you should be ok. I keep AIDA64 uninstalled most of the time, I had a conflict with it and XTU early on, you could try uninstalling that first.

Otherwise everything else looks normal.

Try setting the Nvidia Control panel 3D settings back to default, the High Performance settings do keep the GPU at high speed even after exiting a game. A reboot clears it up if you want to keep the High Performance settings.

Here are the ones I am talking about, Global and Game/app specific:

I just had this happen to my G750JH, after running furmark and prime95 a few times, my GPU wouldn't downclock and the fan was audible. I didn't want to reboot, so I temporarily set those 3D settings back, exited Steam + Monitoring tools + Asus Tweak, and the fan speed dropped within a couple of minutes after cooling down the GPU.

Are you seeing any display driver restart messages? If the nvidia driver is crashing due to OC or bad GPU you can get a freeze / delay while the driver restarts. If you don't get a message the symptom is that the display driver underclocks the GPU until you reboot - a quick benchmark test, and looking at the GPU/memory clock speeds will tell you if it is running at normal speed.

Usually driver IO is what hangs up like that, a large high priority SATA/USB storage request - check the Windows Task Manager => Performance tab => Open Resource Monitor (at bottom left in Blue lettering), and view the Disk activity - sort by READ or Write, like this:

And, last, but not least, you could have a hardware problem. A GPU fan stuck on 100% isn't good, and previous such reports that weren't software were hardware, so you should quickly figure out if it is software, before your return period to the seller, so you can swap it for another one.

If you don't have time to play around with figuring out which software caused this then an OS Reset is the quickest test.

Do an OS reset, through F9, or using a recovery flash drive made with Asus Backtracker is the quickest test, get things back to the out of the box condition so you can see if it is a hardware failure - once back to the out of the box configuration if you still have the same problems, then you should return it for another one.

Kosmo
Level 7
Hello Hmscott, Thank you for your help ! 🙂

To be more clear. My fan is stuck at 100% no matter what I do. Reboot. Not running apps. The computer feels generally slow to launch most apps outside of the browser. Even scrolling in a browser can be slow if a few other softs are running! I can't find away to get all my 3dmarks result in a easy to see way but the physics result looked quite bad. Here are my results if you want to have a look: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5033445

Everything is by default already because I just factory reseted the computer (f9 after bot).

Also No option to send it back to the seller, I'm currently in China. Imported it from the US and gong to Australia next month... If it's a problem I ned to send it to Asus I guess. But I would like to find out what is the problem so they don't send it back to me in the same state.

Kosmo wrote:
Hello Hmscott, Thank you for your help ! 🙂

To be more clear. My fan is stuck at 100% no matter what I do. Reboot. Not running apps. The computer feels generally slow to launch most apps outside of the browser. Even scrolling in a browser can be slow if a few other softs are running! I can't find away to get all my 3dmarks result in a easy to see way but the physics result looked quite bad. Here are my results if you want to have a look: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5033445

Everything is by default already because I just factory reseted the computer (f9 after bot).

Also No option to send it back to the seller, I'm currently in China. Imported it from the US and gong to Australia next month... If it's a problem I ned to send it to Asus I guess. But I would like to find out what is the problem so they don't send it back to me in the same state.

Kosmo, it sounds like it is going to do it for Asus when they get it, and you can describe the problem clearly, so I don't think they will be able to get around sending it back fixed.

Too bad about the DOA status... hope to hear from you when you get it back fixed 🙂

Good luck