cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM notes from my purchase

JBJB
Level 7
Just finished my purchase and upgrade of a G751JM. I had a bunch of questions that took a good bit of searching to get all figured out and I thought I'd post those discoveries here for anyone else going through the same. If it's redundant apologies. I was motivated by the touch screen and wanted the best 751 I could get with it, but sadly no PCIE or 980m is available with touch. All that being said, I built it for Ableton and she is running like a champ. Samsung 850 Pro and 32gb Corsair 2133

0. To the uninitiated, the JM is the touchscreen model , and it only comes with the 860m and SATA III, No PCIE no 980M, no other option, no how.

1. The Best Buy G751JM has no PCIE M.2 Port. I thought maybe there would be one and just no tray (which seems easy enough to fabricate) but there is in fact no port. I took the extra step to disassemble the device and inspect the motherboard, hoping it was just a plastic housing over a uniform motherboard build, but no dice. it's not there. I would assume all builds with the 860m will not have the port on the board.

2. The upper memory is easily accessible. Basically just the bottom screws (about 20), and snap remove the upper hinge cover behind the screen then remove the keyboard. The keyboard is easily removed by following the perimeter with a credit card, or plastic pry tool. No need to undo any of the keybed cabling, but if you feel like it there are 4 lift hinged ribbon cable ports. All in maybe 20 minutes round trip and really not any more difficult than an old school user accessible area. Also, there are no warranty seals over any screws or at any other point in the disassembly. *Side note it's a really accessible build and should you have to get into anything at a future date for a repair it's pleasantly roomy and the cables are sturdy and well run. Sorry I'm not a stop and take pictures guy.

3. Had a little workout getting a cloned Samsung 850 PRO SSD working but posted directions to that in another thread if you need some help. 6gb/s no problem and I wouldn't even dream of using this machine without it. The stock 7200 spinner is painful. I mean pain....ful.

There was a few other things I had to dig for as I was researching the buy. I'll edit them in if they come to me. Hope this helps. Cheers, off to make music.!
1 REPLY 1

Happyllama
Level 7
JBJB wrote:
Just finished my purchase and upgrade of a G751JM. I had a bunch of questions that took a good bit of searching to get all figured out and I thought I'd post those discoveries here for anyone else going through the same. If it's redundant apologies. I was motivated by the touch screen and wanted the best 751 I could get with it, but sadly no PCIE or 980m is available with touch. All that being said, I built it for Ableton and she is running like a champ. Samsung 850 Pro and 32gb Corsair 2133

0. To the uninitiated, the JM is the touchscreen model , and it only comes with the 860m and SATA III, No PCIE no 980M, no other option, no how.

1. The Best Buy G751JM has no PCIE M.2 Port. I thought maybe there would be one and just no tray (which seems easy enough to fabricate) but there is in fact no port. I took the extra step to disassemble the device and inspect the motherboard, hoping it was just a plastic housing over a uniform motherboard build, but no dice. it's not there. I would assume all builds with the 860m will not have the port on the board.

2. The upper memory is easily accessible. Basically just the bottom screws (about 20), and snap remove the upper hinge cover behind the screen then remove the keyboard. The keyboard is easily removed by following the perimeter with a credit card, or plastic pry tool. No need to undo any of the keybed cabling, but if you feel like it there are 4 lift hinged ribbon cable ports. All in maybe 20 minutes round trip and really not any more difficult than an old school user accessible area. Also, there are no warranty seals over any screws or at any other point in the disassembly. *Side note it's a really accessible build and should you have to get into anything at a future date for a repair it's pleasantly roomy and the cables are sturdy and well run. Sorry I'm not a stop and take pictures guy.

3. Had a little workout getting a cloned Samsung 850 PRO SSD working but posted directions to that in another thread if you need some help. 6gb/s no problem and I wouldn't even dream of using this machine without it. The stock 7200 spinner is painful. I mean pain....ful.

There was a few other things I had to dig for as I was researching the buy. I'll edit them in if they come to me. Hope this helps. Cheers, off to make music.!

JBJB, Thank you so much for writing this. I myself purchased a JM and was... mortified, that it lacked a PCI port. I have owned mine less than a week and seriously just found out about 15 minutes ago, and googled the ROG forum to see if anyone else knew. So thank you for posting up! 😮

I also chose the touchscreen version for no other reason than because it is the only g751 that had a glossy screen, ideal (IMO,) for photo editing. I could simply spend another $150 and buy an upgraded g751 and purchase a secondary 4k monitor down the road... but I chose this.

Also, since you have single handedly performed on your JM all that I wish to perform on mine (32G DDR3L, SSD configuration,) I would love to pick your brain further on the steps needed to access the not-so user-accessible area DDR3L. Also curious on how you went about the installing of a SSD in this particular model and real-world performance having unable to utilize pcie.

TIA for any help gathered.

For posterity sake, I'll post this picture up of my JM in case there are those that don't believe us.