cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty for items purchased online?

echineko
Level 7
Hi guys,

Just had a rather jarring encounter earlier, wanted to know if anyone had any advice/similar experiences. I recently purchased 2 x Asus R9 290x DCII graphic cards from Amazon during the recent sales, and registered the products successfully and everything.

As I was going to be sending in my PC for some repairs at the service center (hard disk issue, turned out to be OK in the end), I wanted to have one of the cards looked at, as I was paranoid about hearing some weird sounds (again, seems to be fine 😛 ) Well, the local Asus service center folks here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia firstly flat out refused to accept any responsibility for graphic cards ("go back to your dealer"), and then they showed me a screen claiming it's only valid for a local, US warranty.

Now, luckily the cards are actually fine, but this made me quite uncomfortable (especially after getting 2 R9 290Xs). My questions are:

1. Why would the card be available to ship overseas if it's only valid for warranty in the US? I know other hardware vendors do have strict policies for items that are meant to only be used and supported in the states, they don't even allow it to be added to the cart without a valid US address

2. Why would the local Asus service center (not a third party at that) flatly refuse to even look at Asus graphic cards?

3. Assuming there's a valid and reasonable explanation that item 1 is the way it is, can I then pay some nominal fee to expand my coverage to an international warranty? Or am I SOL? The funny thing is I distinctly remember a friend of mine who also purchased from Amazon (and only a R9 280X, at that) be able to not only get service, but actually a full replacement when he had issues.

Anyone able to advise?

Cheers,
echineko
2 REPLIES 2

Praz
Level 13
Hello

1. you need to inquire about this with your place of purchase. They sold you the card not ASUS.

2. Warranties are regional and are honored for the region they are purchased in only unless the item is advertized with an international warranty.

3. ASUS does not offer such a warranty option. Perhaps your place of purchase may .

Praz wrote:
Hello

1. you need to inquire about this with your place of purchase. They sold you the card not ASUS.

2. Warranties are regional and are honored for the region they are purchased in only unless the item is advertized with an international warranty.

3. ASUS does not offer such a warranty option. Perhaps your place of purchase may .

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. Just a clarification, the Asus service centre here said they do not accept any graphic cards at all, not just mine. Is that normal? And I will get back to Amazon about this for sure, but I think it would be useful if Asus advised them to at least have a disclaimer for non-US customers regarding the warranty.

As it is, it's not clear at all that there might be issues. I agree Asus is not directly responsible for sales on their site, but at the end of the day you have loyal customers paying for high end cards etc, don't their sales matter to the company?

Finally, realistically speaking, what are my options here if I actually do have an issue down the line?

Echineko