cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q?

moeze
Level 7
I've been doing a research for quiet a while now, I am building a new pc with GTX970 and I am looking for a 1440p gaming monitor. Firstly I came across the PB278Q however many people said that it suffers from ghosting and it is 60hz so I wasn't really interested so then I came across the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q which looked like a great overall monitor but the reviews killed my hype. Are the problems really frequent amongst buyers?

Should I get it or just wait since there isn't any good 1440p gaming monitors out yet.
71 REPLIES 71

mdzcpa
Level 12
I can tell you with certainty that you are about to get a some replies that say "don't buy" this monitor. These posts will be emphatic, and come replete with horror stories of multiple replacements that failed and horrible RMA experiences. The posts will be made by the folks that have obviously had problems with their monitor and have come her to ROG forums to voice their grievances (rightfully so). There does seem top be a higher number of complaints than I would have expected.

That said, based on my own personal experiences, and how I see the internet reports, I'd say go for it. Personally, I have 2 of these monitors that function great. No dead pixels, no back bleed. They look and game awesomely. Some folks are bitching about "pixel inversion" which I either do not have or cannot see. I took the test in another thread here and posted my results that I get no flicker at all using the test page. I also consider that Asus has sold every monitor they can make. It's the hottest selling monitor ever. Given that folks with problems post while those without issues do not, I'm not really blown away by the issues I'm seeing. On Amazon and Newegg it seems for every post about serious issue, there is 2 or 3 that say the monitor is great. Again, with most folks without problems even posting a review.

So, although I see more incidents than I'd like, and feel bad for the folks that have issues, I think the monitor is still a great buy. The bleeding edge feature set is likely what is causing the higher incident rates of problems, and all monitors themselves are simply subject to a lot of subjective opinion. For me, given the level of complaints I've seen from a monitor that has been sold out since August, and the fact I have 2 of these running at the house which my wife and I enjoy immensely without an issue, I recommend you go for it. Yes, there may be a higher chance of an issue, but the odds are you will be just fine. These monitors are sweet.

Ok. My flame suit is on. I was lambasted by a group of unhappy users from the "trouble" thread for posting a similar recommendation here. Being happy with your monitor is not popular on these forums where most troubled users come to.

mdzcpa wrote:
I can tell you with certainty that you are about to get a some replies that say "don't buy" this monitor. These posts will be emphatic, and come replete with horror stories of multiple replacements that failed and horrible RMA experiences. The posts will be made by the folks that have obviously had problems with their monitor and have come her to ROG forums to voice their grievances (rightfully so). There does seem top be a higher number of complaints than I would have expected.

That said, based on my own personal experiences, and how I see the internet reports, I'd say go for it. Personally, I have 2 of these monitors that function great. No dead pixels, no back bleed. They look and game awesomely. Some folks are bitching about "pixel inversion" which I either do not have or cannot see. I took the test in another thread here and posted my results that I get no flicker at all using the test page. I also consider that Asus has sold every monitor they can make. It's the hottest selling monitor ever. Given that folks with problems post while those without issues do not, I'm not really blown away by the issues I'm seeing. On Amazon and Newegg it seems for every post about serious issue, there is 2 or 3 that say the monitor is great. Again, with most folks without problems even posting a review.

So, although I see more incidents than I'd like, and feel bad for the folks that have issues, I think the monitor is still a great buy. The bleeding edge feature set is likely what is causing the higher incident rates of problems, and all monitors themselves are simply subject to a lot of subjective opinion. For me, given the level of complaints I've seen from a monitor that has been sold out since August, and the fact I have 2 of these running at the house which my wife and I enjoy immensely without an issue, I recommend you go for it. Yes, there may be a higher chance of an issue, but the odds are you will be just fine. These monitors are sweet.

Ok. My flame suit is on. I was lambasted by a group of unhappy users from the "trouble" thread for posting a similar recommendation here. Being happy with your monitor is not popular on these forums where most troubled users come to.

Thank you for the informative reply, I will grab one as soon as it is back in stock.

mdzcpa wrote:

I agree that when the monitor works, there is nothing better. Its a game changer. If you set your settings to game at above 60fps gsync really shines. The fluidity of the gameplay is unparalleled.

However. I'm will caution you that the reviews by people with problems are genuine issues with both ASUS RMA and the quality of the part. Yes it's on the cutting edge of what's possible. Yes it's the best spec'ed display. My experience with getting a working display (blurry text and general sync failure), after 2 replacements, (still have 1 dead pixel which doesn't bother me that much), leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

You should not shy away from getting the display provided that you understand and are prepaied ahead of time to deal with replacing the unit you get should it fail like the numerous units in the "problem threads". You're buying an ASUS product, so don't expect Apple quality, service and support.

When I buy a product, I'm purchasing the product, the utility it provides, the support that comes from the manufacturer etc. If I was to rate the display on specs alone, I'd give it a 10 out of 10. However having replaced 2 of the units already for glaring issues (not pixel inversion or dead pixels which as I said I can look the other way at) a process that consumed hours and was waaaaay too complicated.

All I can say is go for it, but BE PREPARED to deal with replacing the unit. Personally with the aggravation I experienced I would not have bought the product knowing what I was in for.

I judge a company on how they handle themselves when things go wrong. In this case you will see numerous people getting their display back from RMA in a "still broken & unfixed" state. All signs point to a compete discontinuity of support for the product. They are built in china, shipped here and serviced by a 3rd party hired by ASUS to do their dirty work. Unfortunately they have shown a lack of competence in dealing with issues specific to 144z + sync. Understandable since it's a display repair mill that got flooded with "broken" PG278Qs which exhibit issues at specs not normal encountered by average consumer displays.

Again, KNOW, that purchasing a PG278Q you are GAMBLING on getting a 100% good working display as spec'ed and be prepared to deal with the ramifications if it's not. If you do however get a proper model that doesn't crap out on you after a few weeks, you'll be getting the best of the best displays for gaming.

mdzcpa wrote:

do you work for aSUS?

mdzcpa wrote:

It's the fact that you are being paid by ASUS to big up their poor quality monitor that annoys people.

RubberV
Level 7
I bought this monitor 4 days ago, and no issues yet. It's really the best monitor I had.

RubberV wrote:
I bought this monitor 4 days ago, and no issues yet. It's really the best monitor I had.

Where did you grab yours?

moeze wrote:
Where did you grab yours?

I got it from a shop in Montreal, I ordered it back in august. It's the second they received since then.

Caporale
Level 7
The 28" Acer G-sync monitor is better. It doesn't seem to have any of the quality control problems that the ROG Swift has. The 4K for 144hz tradeoff is a decent one, too.