Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar

Great post mdzcpa, All I can say to the op is I'm definitely going to be getting one..
    Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I say go for it perhaps another 970 for sli as well? i notice a difference with running the panel with 1 GTX780 compared to two cards in sli especially in BF4, what game do you like to play?
    4930k/Corsair H110i GT: Rampage IV Black ED motherboard: Gskill 4x4GB 2133MHZ 10 11 11 30 1T: CM V1200w Platinum psu: 2x EVGA GTX980Ti SC ACX++: SoundBlaster Zx: Logitech Z906 5.1-channel speaker system: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD: 1tb WD Black HD/512GB WD Black HD: Asus Swift 144HZ 3D 2560x1440 Display: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 2560x1440 matte PLS display: Corsair Vengence K70 mechanical keyboard: Corsair M45 mouse: Thermaltake Core V71 full tower Case: Windows 10 64bit

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by zimzoid View Post
    I say go for it perhaps another 970 for sli as well? i notice a difference with running the panel with 1 GTX780 compared to two cards in sli especially in BF4, what game do you like to play?
    I am going to go all out tbh. GTA V, All upcoming battlefields, Assassins creed, skyrim and alot of upcoming mmorpgs.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Good luck getting a working one. Be sure to buy that thing at a place that can handle RMA for you (amazon maybe). If it works, its perfect, if it fails you will visit your personal nightmare with weeks and month without any help from Asus and an RMA experience that will make you wish you never thought about buying that thing.
    I had 4 fail on me and am still waiting for a replacement (2nd month now). So far I have not seen a working unit (long time working that is)...
    I would consider the Acer 4k aswell, that seems to have less isuess, is cheaper and offers a better resolution. You trade the 144hz for 4k so that trade might be worth it, especially as Gsync is made for 60hz Monitors and not 144hz - so the experience should be comparable.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    I can tell you with certainty that you are about to get a some replies that say "don't buy" this monitor. These posts will be emphatic, and come replete with horror stories of multiple replacements that failed and horrible RMA experiences. The posts will be made by the folks that have obviously had problems with their monitor and have come her to ROG forums to voice their grievances (rightfully so). There does seem top be a higher number of complaints than I would have expected.

That said, based on my own personal experiences, and how I see the internet reports, I'd say go for it. Personally, I have 2 of these monitors that function great. No dead pixels, no back bleed. They look and game awesomely. Some folks are *****ing about "pixel inversion" which I either do not have or cannot see. I took the test in another thread here and posted my results that I get no flicker at all using the test page. I also consider that Asus has sold every monitor they can make. It's the hottest selling monitor ever. Given that folks with problems post while those without issues do not, I'm not really blown away by the issues I'm seeing. On Amazon and Newegg it seems for every post about serious issue, there is 2 or 3 that say the monitor is great. Again, with most folks without problems even posting a review.

So, although I see more incidents than I'd like, and feel bad for the folks that have issues, I think the monitor is still a great buy. The bleeding edge feature set is likely what is causing the higher incident rates of problems, and all monitors themselves are simply subject to a lot of subjective opinion. For me, given the level of complaints I've seen from a monitor that has been sold out since August, and the fact I have 2 of these running at the house which my wife and I enjoy immensely without an issue, I recommend you go for it. Yes, there may be a higher chance of an issue, but the odds are you will be just fine. These monitors are sweet.

Ok. My flame suit is on. I was lambasted by a group of unhappy users from the "trouble" thread for posting a similar recommendation here. Being happy with your monitor is not popular on these forums where most troubled users come to.
    I agree that when the monitor works, there is nothing better. Its a game changer. If you set your settings to game at above 60fps gsync really shines. The fluidity of the gameplay is unparalleled.

However. I'm will caution you that the reviews by people with problems are genuine issues with both ASUS RMA and the quality of the part. Yes it's on the cutting edge of what's possible. Yes it's the best spec'ed display. My experience with getting a working display (blurry text and general sync failure), after 2 replacements, (still have 1 dead pixel which doesn't bother me that much), leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

You should not shy away from getting the display provided that you understand and are prepaied ahead of time to deal with replacing the unit you get should it fail like the numerous units in the "problem threads". You're buying an ASUS product, so don't expect Apple quality, service and support.

When I buy a product, I'm purchasing the product, the utility it provides, the support that comes from the manufacturer etc. If I was to rate the display on specs alone, I'd give it a 10 out of 10. However having replaced 2 of the units already for glaring issues (not pixel inversion or dead pixels which as I said I can look the other way at) a process that consumed hours and was waaaaay too complicated.

All I can say is go for it, but BE PREPARED to deal with replacing the unit. Personally with the aggravation I experienced I would not have bought the product knowing what I was in for.

I judge a company on how they handle themselves when things go wrong. In this case you will see numerous people getting their display back from RMA in a "still broken & unfixed" state. All signs point to a compete discontinuity of support for the product. They are built in china, shipped here and serviced by a 3rd party hired by ASUS to do their dirty work. Unfortunately they have shown a lack of competence in dealing with issues specific to 144z + sync. Understandable since it's a display repair mill that got flooded with "broken" PG278Qs which exhibit issues at specs not normal encountered by average consumer displays.

Again, KNOW, that purchasing a PG278Q you are GAMBLING on getting a 100% good working display as spec'ed and be prepared to deal with the ramifications if it's not. If you do however get a proper model that doesn't crap out on you after a few weeks, you'll be getting the best of the best displays for gaming.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

My September made swift has been working flawlessly so far very happy.
    4930k/Corsair H110i GT: Rampage IV Black ED motherboard: Gskill 4x4GB 2133MHZ 10 11 11 30 1T: CM V1200w Platinum psu: 2x EVGA GTX980Ti SC ACX++: SoundBlaster Zx: Logitech Z906 5.1-channel speaker system: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD: 1tb WD Black HD/512GB WD Black HD: Asus Swift 144HZ 3D 2560x1440 Display: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 2560x1440 matte PLS display: Corsair Vengence K70 mechanical keyboard: Corsair M45 mouse: Thermaltake Core V71 full tower Case: Windows 10 64bit

Holy mother chucking ****. I decided to buy this thing, but I am please I did not right away.

Now specs are unbelievable and it is a revolutionary screen for sure, but I've seen a lot of people cry, here and on Amazon too.

I'm now really in doubt, and unhappy.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Dave6479's Avatar

I was really concerned reading up on these forums here and over at Guru3d regarding problems some user had with the Swift and I'm really shocked at some of the RMA handling with customer service. I have only just received my Swift today and I was actually in two minds to just send it back to Overclockers UK unopened as an unwanted Xmas present. I can now officially say I'm weak and resisted a whole 10min and had to try it out and so far so good. No dead pixels, back light bleed seems at a minimum and the Gsync while playing BF4 is amazing, I have never seen my cards push out 90+ usage during a game and not rip the screen to shreds as this monitor replaced my 60Hz Dell U2711 (now retired to the PS4).
    I hadn't seen a monitor run over 60Hz (excluding the DK2) and I never believed it until now but the difference even on desktop is like night and day.

EDIT : Just had a check and it's a November make.
    Last edited by Dave6479; 12-23-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    I7 4770K @ 4.6GHz, Custom Water Loop
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87, BIOS 1603
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI x3, Vulkan 356.43 Skyn3t VBIOS
    Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1866MHz, 16GB
    Samsung 850 250GB SSD (OS)
    Samsung 840 120GB SSD
    Corsair GT 120 SSD
    Corsair Performance Pro 128 SSD
    OCZ Vertex4 120 SSD
    PSU EVGA SuperNova 1300W
    ASUS Swift PG278Q 144Hz G-Sync
    Oculus Rift DK2 + Leap Motion
    Windows 10 64-Bit Insider Build 14271

ROG Member Array Starrbuck PC Specs
    Starrbuck PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Microsoft Surface Book 2
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi X470
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL14
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Sound CardASUS ROG SupremeFX (onboard)
    MonitorASUS PG279Q 165Hz 1440p G-Sync
    Storage #1Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS C6H Monoblock
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyCorsiar HX 1200i
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Gladius II
    Headset SteelSeries Arctis 7
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula V2
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterNetgear X10 R9000
    Accessory #1 EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti RGB Water Block + Backplate
    Accessory #2 EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM Pump
    Accessory #3 Bitspower fittings, EK & Koolance rads

Quote Originally Posted by Caporale View Post
    The 28" Acer G-sync monitor is better. It doesn't seem to have any of the quality control problems that the ROG Swift has. The 4K for 144hz tradeoff is a decent one, too.
    I disagree. I tried out the Acer XB280HK and its TN panel had terribly washed-out colors and low brightness. Also it flickers at 30Hz or below which can be annoying on loading screens. My system is pretty awesome, yet I had to back down the settings tremendously in BF4 in order to maintain 30-60 FPS. Today's CPUs and video cards can't push 4K effectively enough.
    Last edited by Starrbuck; 12-25-2014 at 05:19 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

If you have the hardware to hold up 60Hz at all times I recommend:
    ASUS PB287Q 28-Inch Screen LED-Lit 4K Monitor

144Hz at 1080 is all well and good, but I prefer 4K, the problem is if you don't have the hardware to push it, you need SLI or Crossifre and top end cards.
    Christmas is here and I am gaming with friends, so far my 4K pushed by two 290x DCUOC with 10% OC is the favorite. We are playing WoW, Counterstrike and Firefall. The 4K is looking better than the gsync 24 inchers and 27 inch at 144Hz at 1080. No one here has a 1440 at 144Hz working.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast