Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hello Alinor,

I have a GTX 980 STRIX, maximus vii formula, i7 4790k 16GB ram.

Do you think this build would pull 4k monitor at 60hz? and can you advise how would the fps be for wow?

Merry Christmas everyone

ROG Member Array Starrbuck PC Specs
    Starrbuck PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme X99/U3.1
    ProcessorIntel i7-5930K (4.5GHz)
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) 2666MHz 15-15-15-35 DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum
    Sound CardASUS SupremeFX 2014
    MonitorASUS PG279Q 165Hz 1440p G-Sync
    Storage #1Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCustom water cooling loop
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G600
    Headset Logitech G230
    OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Network RouterVerizon FiOS Quantum
    Accessory #1 EK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock
    Accessory #2 Bitspower VG-NGTX980AM Waterblock
    Accessory #3 Bitspower & Koolance fittings, Swiftech pump & res, Alphacool rads

I bet in WoW you would be fine for a sustained 60 FPS, except in cities or large raids.

What thats too low >< I need ultra and about 100fps. in large raids need minimum around ultra 70 fps.

then I guess 1080p 144hz will be my choice.. T_T

ROG Member Array Starrbuck PC Specs
    Starrbuck PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme X99/U3.1
    ProcessorIntel i7-5930K (4.5GHz)
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) 2666MHz 15-15-15-35 DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum
    Sound CardASUS SupremeFX 2014
    MonitorASUS PG279Q 165Hz 1440p G-Sync
    Storage #1Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCustom water cooling loop
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G600
    Headset Logitech G230
    OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Network RouterVerizon FiOS Quantum
    Accessory #1 EK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock
    Accessory #2 Bitspower VG-NGTX980AM Waterblock
    Accessory #3 Bitspower & Koolance fittings, Swiftech pump & res, Alphacool rads

Quote Originally Posted by Bal View Post
    What thats too low >< I need ultra and about 100fps. in large raids need minimum around ultra 70 fps.

then I guess 1080p 144hz will be my choice.. T_T
    I don't think you could get that high FPS in 4K with a single 980.

I've been using 1440p for a while so a 1080p is out for me. My RoG Swift will be here on Monday. :-D

ROG Member Array

Hello Alinor,

I have a GTX 980 STRIX, maximus vii formula, i7 4790k 16GB ram.

Do you think this build would pull 4k monitor at 60hz? and can you advise how would the fps be for wow?

Merry Christmas everyone
    In World of Warcraft, with my Reference GTX 980, I consistently get above 60FPS even with pretty high graphics settings (usually around 100 but it depends on what I am doing) using DSR 4x for 5120x2880 on the ROG Swift. That's with a i7 980X processor and 24GB RAM. I can't see any reason you would have trouble with 4K in WoW.

I personally would not give up 144hz for 4k. I see a lot of people who have had to decide between the ROG Swift and a 4K monitor, and for me going to 144Hz max was the real point of buying this monitor, and the G-Sync and 1440p resolution really sealed the deal, going to 4k at 60hz would be a step back. I am very happy with my monitor so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrbuck View Post
    I don't think you could get that high FPS in 4K with a single 980.

I've been using 1440p for a while so a 1080p is out for me. My RoG Swift will be here on Monday. :-D
    Hope it won't suck somehow, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthra View Post
    In World of Warcraft, with my Reference GTX 980, I consistently get above 60FPS even with pretty high graphics settings (usually around 100 but it depends on what I am doing) using DSR 4x for 5120x2880 on the ROG Swift. That's with a i7 980X processor and 24GB RAM. I can't see any reason you would have trouble with 4K in WoW.

I personally would not give up 144hz for 4k. I see a lot of people who have had to decide between the ROG Swift and a 4K monitor, and for me going to 144Hz max was the real point of buying this monitor, and the G-Sync and 1440p resolution really sealed the deal, going to 4k at 60hz would be a step back. I am very happy with my monitor so far.
    Well it is a big conflict right now because I love high resolution but having G-sync and 144Hz would be a game changer..

What is DSR? How did you get 5120x2880 on rog swift? o-O

ROG Member Array

Hope it won't suck somehow, let us know how it goes!

Well it is a big conflict right now because I love high resolution but having G-sync and 144Hz would be a game changer..

What is DSR? How did you get 5120x2880 on rog swift? o-O
    DSR is Dynamic Super Resolution. Basically it's a mode that lets the graphics card render to a larger framebuffer, in this case 5120x2880 or 4x total pixels, and then it scales it down for display on the screen. This provides not just edge anti-aliasing, but also texture, shader, effect, 2D image, text, and post processing anti-aliasing, but takes more GPU power and Memory. It does not increase the display resolution, just tricks the graphics engine into providing more data to work with to provide the final image.

Not every game can really use it however, since the game has to be able to scale the UI to about 2x height and width. I find that Blizzard games are very good at UI Scaling (such that going from 2560x1440 to 5120x2880 has almost zero impact on UI element size and location), while other games, even ones with UI scale options (Guild Wars 2 for example) don't let you scale up enough, and end up difficult to read at 4x (4x is the only sharp DSR mode, as every 4 framebuffer pixels map perfectly to one display pixel). There is still also the issue of mouse cursor speed, as you have to move the mouse twice as far (from the computer's point of view), so the mouse must be moved twice as far to go the same distance onscreen.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...dsr/technology

While it improves quality in just about all areas, I find it most noticeable in refractions such as those used when looking into water in video games. Normally the scene underwater is rendered, then the refraction squishes or stretches pixels around to provide the effect. If an area of pixels is stretched, there are some pretty bad scaling artifacts since there is not enough resolution in the original to cover the new area. With DSR there is enough resolution, and textures and edges come out crystal clear even through water.
    Last edited by Zanthra; 12-29-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthra View Post
    144Hz at 4K is currently impossible until we get more display bandwidth. DP1.2/HDMI 2.0 provides the most bandwidth, but is still not enough for >60Hz at 4K. In fact, HDMI 2.0 has even less bandwidth than older DP 1.2. Apple use a custom solution to drive 5K@60Hz on its iMac.

DP 1.3 will bring more bandwidth suitable for 4K@120Hz:

DisplayPort version 1.3 was released on September 15, 2014. This standard increases overall transmission bandwidth to 32.4 Gbit/s with the new HBR3 mode featuring 8.1 Gbit/s per lane (up from 5.4 Gbit/s with HBR2 in version 1.2), totalling 25.92 Gbit/s with overhead removed.
    4K@60Hz requires 11.96Gbit/s, and 120Hz is double that at 23.92Gbit/s, but 144Hz is 28.704Gbit/s, which is beyond even DP1.3 spec.

Since we already push the G-Sync chip to its limit in the WQHD/144Hz Swift (it has to work ~7% harder than 4K@60Hz) you will need to wait for Nvidia's next generation G-Sync chip for this reason and DP1.3 reasons (don't ask me when that is), as well as LCD panel makers to develop fast 4K panels before 4K@ >60Hz arrives.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    144Hz at 4K is currently impossible until we get more display bandwidth. DP1.2/HDMI 2.0 provides the most bandwidth, but is still not enough for >60Hz at 4K. In fact, HDMI 2.0 has even less bandwidth than older DP 1.2. Apple use a custom solution to drive 5K@60Hz on its iMac.
    Since we already push the G-Sync chip to its limit in the WQHD/144Hz Swift (it has to work ~7% harder than 4K@60Hz) you will need to wait for Nvidia's next generation G-Sync chip for this reason and DP1.3 reasons (don't ask me when that is), as well as LCD panel makers to develop fast 4K panels before 4K@ >60Hz arrives.
    Pretty much true. Freesync will hopefully save us by not adding special processing by a proprietary chip.
    60 HZ 4K gaming is alive and well RIGHT NOW if you have a pair of 290x and 10% OC or better. Some games will not hold 60Hz with full eye candy. DP 1.2 does push enough bandwidth for 4K 60 Hz, but it is close to its limit.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/iiyama...ews-49450.html
    Maybe Asus has the same card up its sleeve?
    Freesync with a free firmware upgrade on the PB287Q?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post

DP 1.3 will bring more bandwidth suitable for 4K@120Hz:

4K@60Hz requires 11.96Gbit/s, and 120Hz is double that at 23.92Gbit/s, but 144Hz is 28.704Gbit/s, which is beyond even DP1.3 spec.

Yeah, the data rate will always be partitioned between resolution and refresh rate. Those who want the highest resolution available for any link will be stuck on 60hz (or lower). 4K will be out at 120, and 5k monitors will be there for 60hz. When 5k goes to 120, 8k will be available at 60. Apple can do a lot of crazy things when they build the computer and the display together.

I will almost always choose the lower resolution, higher refresh displays for gaming. Comparing the Swift to 4k monitors is fine, but it's like comparing apples to oranges. The Swift is probably the best you can get as a high refresh rate monitor at this point.

Note that while the brain starts losing the perception of individual frames in motion blurred material at about 30hz, and the rods stop sensing flickering about 60hz, there are two major things that make high refresh rate gaming really fantastic. The first is that there are more points in time the game is rendered at, where everything is stopped and fixed, that your eye will blend together into a smoother image (like the illusion of multiple mouse cursors when you move the mouse quickly across the screen, as the refresh rate rises, more and more cursors would appear, fainter and fainter, until it's one motion blurred streak).

The second is how your vision deals with that natural motion blur. If your eye is tracking something onscreen, it creates some motion blur as the eye pans across each still frame (the image of the frame is blurred by it's opposite motion across the retina). The shorter each frame is visible for, the less motion blur. This smooth pursuit is used naturally to prevent motion blur by matching the motion of the eye to the motion of an object, so that it's image remains steady on the retina (usually the fovea), you can then make out details and identify the object. In computer graphics this can be fixed even better with ULMB by strobing the backlight to minimize the distance the eye travels while the frame is visible (the image only appears for a split second, and if your eye is tracking at the right speed, the next will appear for a split second in the same place on the retina creating a clear image for the brain to process).

This all vastly improves the experience, especially in high motion games where tracking an object onscreen, such as a target you are brining weapon sights onto, is important. You can use your instinctual, natural processes for dealing with motion. After having played games at high refresh rates, it would be hard to go back, and I hope in time that 240hz and higher may become available.
    Last edited by Zanthra; 12-30-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast