cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GTX 970 Strix Temperatures

Eyecon
Level 7
So this week I bought my self a new system and my choice for a graphics card was the Asus GTX970 Strix. I have been using it for the past 3 days and I am still trying to make up my mind if I should return it to the shop I bought it from.

The problem is that temps while gaming on this graphics card like no other I've seen on my previous graphics cards, when ever I start a game, any game from World of Warcraft, DOTA 2, Far Cry 4 or CS:GO I get an average temp of 78C and peaking at 83C. This is very worrying for me and it is making me a bit uncomfortable playing games. I want to know if this is normal from this card and if I should quickly go to the shop and get a replacement for it.

The performance of this card is a great leap from what I had previously and I am pretty happy about that, but for now the only way I have found to keep the temps to a maximum of 70C is by using EVGA Precision X and changing the Fan Graph and adjusting MAX temp slider.

So please reply with your thoughts if you own a graphics card like this and if you had the same problem.

SPECS

i7 4790K
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Asus GTX970 Strix
NZXT H440
7 REPLIES 7

Xenocrates
Level 7
from what I've read, the threshold for issues is 95C, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. It is factory overclocked, so it very well may run over the reference temps. if you haven't already, i would suggest if setting the case fans ETC to a higher speed. If noise is an issue, well, you can live with the higher temps, or buy quieter fans. unless you start hitting higher peaks, i wouldn't be too worried. Try artificially stressing it, with a benchmark or something, so that you can watch the temp closely, and play with the fan settings as you go.

cytotek
Level 7
All the new cards run very hot, especially if they are factory overclocked, and if you have the side case on that would make a ton difference.

Most reviews are on benchtable rigs with no case, It seems your temps are normal, but if your worried, just increase fan speed when gaming and wear ear phones, if sound of the fan is still a problem, really only thing that you can do is take off the side cover and have a fan blowing over the card with lower fan settings, Or go watercooling.

But temps are what they should be, Posting ambient temps would help with the replies from others.

I have Gtx 970 strix too, and running it stock I barely hit 60C playing Guild wars2 on Ultra and COD AW on ultra and 2x smaa. Right now, its overclock to 1323mhz and hitting just 70C. BTW this is on auto mode for strix fan

I notice your case is H440. It could be your air circulation. I Have same case though and I run corsair SP 120 x3 front and 1 AF140 out back. And another SP120 x2 exhaust for my h100i up top. All fans are performance model ( not quite).

BTW, we have same spec just mobo is a HERO

Cucumonster
Level 7
I found this thread while trying to find out what's wrong with my system, which kept freezing every now and then in GTA 5.
I had the Gtx 970 strix, and it also ran at 65-69°C while on 100% load. I thought "what a great card, how cool it stays and how quiet the fans run"...
Weeks later I finally had it replaced because I could not find another reason for my games freezing (PC still pingable, but screen output stuck).. and the replacement card (same type of course) goes up to 85+°C immediately as soon as it's under load, and is then cooled down to 80°C with the fans running at 100% (decreasing then). Well.. it's still not a loud card, but it looks like my old card reporting 65°C was simply a broken temperature sensor.

dt2645
Level 7
replace it

mine idles at 35c and when i play cs it gos up to 60c

M11C
Level 10
i can never get my 780 over 45C, even in Metro last light with 4x SSAA, running at 1300MHz

Watercooling FTW :cool:

"essentially one of the most hardcore overclocking motherboards ever made."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/24/asus_rampage_iv_black_edition_motherboard_review/7

InfernoStorm
Level 10
It's probably best that you RMA the card because it just doesn't feel right with other people with much lower idle and load temps. Of course airflow and ambient temps play a part in how much hotter your card runs in your case but when the gap is that big, it's likely something wrong with the card.