Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Getting a new laptop, Need some advice

    I'm considering buying either a G771/GL771, G751 or G551/GL551 but I'm currently having difficulty of choosing which one I should go for..

    I know some of the differences between the 3 models, but it's still hard to choose

    I also don't mind the storage, since I hardly use the optimal drive, so i can get a caddy and install an HDD/SSD over it

    So I think I can use some advice on which to choose

    the things that I'm considering are:

    1. G751 comes with GTX970/980m while G771 and G551 come with GTX860m

    2. Cooling (gpu & cpu) & fan noises

    3. removable battery vs. non-removable battery

    4. 16GB of ram is more than enough for me, so I don't really need to worry whether I can upgrade to 32gb or not
    Last edited by pcshano; 12-14-2014 at 02:23 AM.

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    i own the g751jy. i will list some pros and cons of it that i have found so far i previously owned a g75vx. i upgraded to a 1tb ssd and thats another story i will explain

    Pros

    Power and cooling:
    its very powerful and very quiet. and the cooling is some of the best that i have ever seen and used also the quietest. when running a stress test a very intensive one i got my cpu temp up to 91c before i shut off the benchmark to be safe. it was starting to completely slow down so i doubt it would have gotten warmer than 92c. the gpu was a little cooler around 86 area. the palm rests and keyboard area don't seem to get warm at all so if you game on the internal touchpad and keyboard your hands aren't going to melt off :P

    Display:
    the ips panel is a major step up from me from the tn panel on my older g75vx. crisp and clear images and its a matte finish so its good in bright rooms too. a little issue i have been having but this may be due to the fact im on windows 7. is that after i sleep the laptop the brightness controls no longer work and i have to restart the computer to regain the control.

    Hard drives/ ram:
    im pretty sure all 3 of the laptops in the g751 lineup have dual 2.5 inch sata drive bays a m.2 slot and 4 so dimm ram slots. the g751jy i have same with 24 gigs of ram split between the 4 ram slots. it also had a m,2 ssd 256gb and a 1tb 7200rpm hdd. the m.2 drive slot is in the same area as the 2nd 2.5 inch drive bay so you have to choose between m.2 or a sata drive. also keep in mind if you plan to get a 2.5 inch drive for the laptops with the m.2 ssd you wont have a drive caddy to hold the 2.5 inch drive. you will need to purchace one. (or in my case i modded one from another laptop to work

    Performance in game:
    my model has the i7 4710hq with the gtx 980m so most games tend to run at ultra and 60 fps. and a lot of games really aren't too taxing of the machiene. i can easily game with it on my lap (on bare legs) and have no issues becoming uncomfortable from heat coming from the laptop. i have also never experienced thermal throttling.

    Battery:
    unfortunately the battery in the g751jy is not removable however when now gaming and even when on high performance on battery i can usually easily get over 2 hours of battery time when browsing the internet and watching hd videos.

    I0 (usb ports etc):
    this computer is stacked pretty good in terms of the i0 it offers. it has 4 usb 3.0 ss ports and one of the is a faster charging one for apple devices. it has a thunderbolt, hdmi and a vga port. it also had a blue ray reader and writer drive. it also has 3 audio ports. 2 headphone/ speaker outputs and one mic in/subwoofer out.

    Sound:
    the internal 2.1 speaker system is actually very impressive in terms of sound quality and output. and the interfaces seem to work good within the computer.

    Cons:

    Now for a couple of cons/ issues and things i've done to fix them and also ones i haven't been able to fix as of today.

    Mouse drivers are terrible:
    me bring a gamer that is on the road often i usually use the touchpad and the keyboard build into the computer. however the terrible elantech driver doesn't allow you to use both of the touchpad buttons at the same time. and it also had this weird issue where it would randomly stick around places and it would take a second to respond (clearly ruining gaming). What i did to solve this is i downloaded and installed synaptics touchpad drivers. unfortunatly you will lose the 2 finger scroll and pinch zoom. basically the computer recognizes your tpouchpad as a ps/2 mouse and not a touchpad so you wont have any gestures but the mouse will work good and both keys can be used at the same time.

    Display brightness:
    as i said before in this post if i put my computer to sleep and wake it up i lose the brightness control functionality until restart. i have tried everything to remedy this with no luck and i have a good feeling its due to the windows 7 install on this pc.

    No windows 7 driver support from asus:
    if your want 7 its up to you to make it work in terms of drivers. i found the majority of drivers worked properly that were meant for 8.1 except for sound, i am guessing the atk package, the 5 hotkeys i couldn't get to work either or the asus manager. the 8.1 sound driver works but the asus audio wizard has a glitch where it defults headphones and speakers to small. to fix that i used the g750 audio drivers for windows 8. i haven't found any solutions for the other issues so far.

    Conclusion:
    overall i love this laptop its a powerhouse with amazing cooling and is almost silent. very pretty display i love the internal keyboard. i would avoid installing windows 7 unless you know what your doing and you really want it. i had to change some boot options in the bios to be able to run 7 (not very hard) and the build quality on this laptop is amazing.

    I hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Thank you, though I already know about the G751 series, I'm leaning toward that in fact
    however, seeing as G771 and G551, especially the G551, are cheaper, and GTX860m is actually fine for me since I don't really go for ultra setting for games and most games i play don't even need best gpu =)
    so It's all coming down to about the cooling system, how do they compare to the G751?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by pcshano View Post
    Thank you, though I already know about the G751 series, I'm leaning toward that in fact
    however, seeing as G771 and G551, especially the G551, are cheaper, and GTX860m is actually fine for me since I don't really go for ultra setting for games and most games i play don't even need best gpu =)
    so It's all coming down to about the cooling system, how do they compare to the G751?
    pcshano, we had only one report so far, and it wasn't good if you need to do heavy duty computing, as their G771 required reducing the multipliers to get under the Thermal Throttling limit:

    G771JM Cpu throttles during use of handbrake video convert
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...highlight=g771

    The G751 fares better, unless you load both CPU/GPU under the heaviest stress, unlikely in most gaming situations, but some have still experienced fleeting Thermal Throttling with some games:

    Post #60, so read forward and backward from here:

    Cpu or Fan problem ???
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post457188

    The G750 frame still has the best cooling, I am assuming the newly announced G750JY also has the same cooling, here is the G750JY page at Asus:
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G750JY/

    There are some G750JY's out for sale now, but it isn't available everywhere.

    And, if you don't need heavy duty 980m graphics, you can still find the G750JW/JX/JH new/used - all without Optimus, or the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    pcshano, we had only one report so far, and it wasn't good if you need to do heavy duty computing, as their G771 required reducing the multipliers to get under the Thermal Throttling limit:

    G771JM Cpu throttles during use of handbrake video convert
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...highlight=g771

    The G751 fares better, unless you load both CPU/GPU under the heaviest stress, unlikely in most gaming situations, but some have still experienced fleeting Thermal Throttling with some games:

    Post #60, so read forward and backward from here:

    Cpu or Fan problem ???
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post457188

    The G750 frame still has the best cooling, I am assuming the newly announced G750JY also has the same cooling, here is the G750JY page at Asus:
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G750JY/

    There are some G750JY's out for sale now, but it isn't available everywhere.

    And, if you don't need heavy duty 980m graphics, you can still find the G750JW/JX/JH new/used - all without Optimus, or the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus.
    what you said about G750JY sounds good, but I can't find it anywhere off ebay/newegg/amazon or even custom site like xoptic
    I've looked into the G750J series, and also thinking about it, the removable battery is also appealing... the only thing that held me back is it's a little hard to find new ones cheap, consider the price between G751 and G750 are pretty close

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by pcshano View Post
    what you said about G750JY sounds good, but I can't find it anywhere off ebay/newegg/amazon or even custom site like xoptic
    I've looked into the G750J series, and also thinking about it, the removable battery is also appealing... the only thing that held me back is it's a little hard to find new ones cheap, consider the price between G751 and G750 are pretty close
    pcshano, the G750JY isn't out for wide release yet, only in the Romania(?), hopefully it will be here soon for the places you mentioned. You need to do a Google search on G750JY it will find the only places it is on sale. Currency exchange indicates it will be less expensive than the G751, but that may only be in that region.

    Live near Romania?
    http://www.emag.ro/laptop-gaming-asu.../pd/D8DZWBBBM/

    Here are the discussion threads covering the G750JY so far:

    The New G750JY ROG Laptop - 8gb 980m
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=g750JY

    Asus G750JY real? G750 with GTX 980M
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=g750JY

    If you need to get a G750 now, you will have to hunt down a place that has them new, not just Amazon, or look for used ones on ebay/Amazon - the prices for the G750's are still high because they are in demand. The most recent G750JM/JS/JZ have Optimus, and the G750JW/JX/JH are more desirable for some without Optimus.

    If you can wait, and don't mind Optimus, the G750JY might be worth the wait, but we don't know. Initial production teething issues are always present with new ROG laptops, so be prepared to deal with it, or get an older one that has the driver issues worked out.

    Good luck!, and please come back and let us know what you found and ended up getting

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    pcshano, the G750JY isn't out for wide release yet, only in the Romania(?), hopefully it will be here soon for the places you mentioned. You need to do a Google search on G750JY it will find the only places it is on sale. Currency exchange indicates it will be less expensive than the G751, but that may only be in that region.

    Live near Romania?
    http://www.emag.ro/laptop-gaming-asu.../pd/D8DZWBBBM/

    Here are the discussion threads covering the G750JY so far:

    The New G750JY ROG Laptop - 8gb 980m
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=g750JY

    Asus G750JY real? G750 with GTX 980M
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=g750JY

    If you need to get a G750 now, you will have to hunt down a place that has them new, not just Amazon, or look for used ones on ebay/Amazon - the prices for the G750's are still high because they are in demand. The most recent G750JM/JS/JZ have Optimus, and the G750JW/JX/JH are more desirable for some without Optimus.

    If you can wait, and don't mind Optimus, the G750JY might be worth the wait, but we don't know. Initial production teething issues are always present with new ROG laptops, so be prepared to deal with it, or get an older one that has the driver issues worked out.

    Good luck!, and please come back and let us know what you found and ended up getting
    thank you, I'm leaning toward G750 actually, probably the one with GTX 780m currently on ebay with SSD
    though that also depending on price too, if it getting close to G751, i'd just get the G751JT-DH72 i believe

    the one I'm eye-ing at is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834232276
    though so far no review or anything on it yet, i'm a little reluctant
    Last edited by pcshano; 12-14-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •