cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a serious mistake keying in Vcore in Bios

Fannwong
Level 8
Hi all

While doing a mild OC on the 5960x when I keyed in 1.7 instead 1.17 and restarted the pc. (Ikr real silly)

It rebooted straight into bios with a red 1.7 on the reading and asked for a new vcore.

I would like to know if there's any real permanent damage to the processor? And there is how can I check?

Thanks for your help!
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
I doubt there was any permanent damage. If there was, you wouldn't have a working CPU right now. 😉

Hi Chino, Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated. Can I surmise that damage to processor is swift and sure, meaning it will go dead dead.

Fannwong wrote:
Hi Chino, Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated. Can I surmise that damage to processor is swift and sure, meaning it will go dead dead.

If the value inputted by the user is greater than the default save value programmed into the BIOS, it will not take effect. That's why you got the warning and it threw you back into the BIOS.

For future overclocking endeavours, always review the window with the summary of all the settings you changed before hitting that OK buttton to save and restart. 😉

Chino wrote:
If the value inputted by the user is greater than the default save value programmed into the BIOS, it will not take effect. That's why you got the warning and it threw you back into the BIOS.

For future overclocking endeavours, always review the window with the summary of all the settings you changed before hitting that OK buttton to save and restart. 😉

Hey!

Seriously that feature is reallllly nice. That review when you apply new setting should've been there since 1950's :D.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Thanks for the insight Chino!

Chino wrote:

GoNz0-
Level 10
you may have shaved a day off it's life but so long as you didn't go bench-marking it or stress testing you will be fine.

Thanks Gonzo!

GoNz0- wrote:
you may have shaved a day off it's life but so long as you didn't go bench-marking it or stress testing you will be fine.

nick_the_greek_
Level 7
Yeah I did it once but I got the f1screen error . I wouldn't worry about it.........