cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx non-3D screen and Optimus

warpspire
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on buying a G74sx, and overall the features and reviews I've read so far are very impressive. As I wouldn't use the 3D feature much, I think I'll opt for the non 3D version.

Because most of the reviews/feedbacks I could find are about the full-fledged 3D G74sx, I'm unsure about 2 things: Optimus and screen quality.

As far as I know, the non-3D version comes with a glossy 60Hz screen, which I don't have anything against and I also expect the brightness/contrast a bit lower, however, it would be nice to know if the models supplied with such screens are sub-par or not.

Also, by default Optimus is not enabled in the 3D capable variants, but I heard some hearsay that the other versions support it.

Do you have any experience with any of these?

Thanks very much in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

Yahooligan
Level 7
Hi,

Optimus isn't enabled on any G74SX. The non-3D fullHD screen (1920x1080) is a great screen, there are both glossy and matte versions. I have the glossy and the image quality is great. Avoid the HD+ (1600x900) model.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Yahooligan wrote:
Hi,

Optimus isn't enabled on any G74SX. The non-3D fullHD screen (1920x1080) is a great screen, there are both glossy and matte versions. I have the glossy and the image quality is great. Avoid the HD+ (1600x900) model.

Just to add on, Mainly the Best Buy Model has the lower quality screen, but make sure with others.

Also note GPU on the G74sx:

GTX560 2GB version is 128 bit

GTX560 3GB version is 192 bit << get this version as its the better one (faster)

......no point getting the 3D version anyhow, frame rate drops a lot when in 3D mode from the reviews i have seen

----> also considering where your located, research the proper way to update the BIOS properly..... if you want to verify Bios update process MSG me, or post on the forum, if your not sure how to. GL
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
----> also considering where your located, research the proper way to update the BIOS properly..... if you want to verify Bios update process MSG me, or post on the forum, if your not sure how to. GL

Thanks for this, do you think that it will require flashing the bios right from the start?

warpspire wrote:
Thanks for this, do you think that it will require flashing the bios right from the start?

You should be ok, and wouldn't need to do it right away, if your Nvidia driver crashes from time to time, then i would update to Bios 203. Bios 203 seems to fix the problem.

Only thing you would need to do right away is update the ATK driver for the keyboard and touch pad driver, as soon as you get it.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
You should be ok, and wouldn't need to do it right away, if your Nvidia driver crashes from time to time, then i would update to Bios 203. Bios 203 seems to fix the problem.

Only thing you would need to do right away is update the ATK driver for the keyboard and touch pad driver, as soon as you get it.

Thanks, will do!

Yahooligan wrote:
Hi,

+1 It's the best display I've ever seen in a laptop.

Retired
Not applicable
optimus starts at geforce 555 and below

Brian@ASUS wrote:
optimus starts at geforce 555 and below

I think Optimus is supported from the previous generation Fermi cores and up, although I've seen it implemented with high-end cards only in Alienware laptops. It's not that important for me anyway, and I'm partial to simplicity - I can happily miss out on bling and disco lights.

warpspire
Level 7
Thanks everyone!

I'll be the happy owner of a full HD/3G model today then. I think less ram (8G), a slower 2nd HDD (5400rpm) and less gram (1.5g) in the favor of a small SSD or hybrid drive would have made more sense, but not complaining 🙂