cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero - random freezes during browsing, BSOD message

RextonETS
Level 7
Hi all,

I have built this computer for 1 and 1/2 years and started to notice issues starting around July 2014. I thought the problem was a little nuisance but it still continued to happen and I can't seem to solve it. When I browse the internet (using Firefox) with a couple of tabs open the mouse cursor would "lag" for like 2-3 secs until it freezes there. Also, sometimes when I play music or video the sound is stuck to a constant tone. The whole computer is frozen forcing me to hard restart.

When I restarted my computer no errors popped up. I went on event viewer and it says Event 41 "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if..." The time event viewer reported was the time my PC froze. The weird thing is the freezes are very random, sometimes my PC would be fine for a week or two and sometimes my PC would freeze almost everyday.

The computer will not freeze when playing games or benchmarking. Temps on PC are normal.

I have cleared cmos, set everything to default settings(no OC), ran memtest86 on each stick of ram with 12 passes with no errors, even updated bios to 0804 to newest 1603 bios via flashing method. Still random freezing.

[/HR]
However, today was different, my computer froze and I hit the restart button instead of the power button on my case and a windows error recovery message popped up:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800CC7A8F8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

[/HR]
Also I went on event viewer it says: Event 18 WHEA-Logger

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Internal Timer Error
Processor ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.

[/HR]
My specs are:
MB: M6 Hero bios 0804 flashed to 1603
CPU: I7 4770k
PSU: SeaSonic SS-750KM
COOLER: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 reference
RAM: 16GB Crucial BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0
System Drive: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB

Sorry guys for the long message, but it's the best I can do to describe my situation.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

jab383
Level 13
Hi RextonETS, and welcome to a fellow Texan

BSOD with code 124 is quite common when overclocking. The remedy is usually to increase CPU Core voltage. I know you're not overclocking, but the same fix may be in order since the logger points to a core error.

I'm guessing that BIOS Vcore control is set in offset mode, or perhaps adaptive. The suggestion is to add +.05 additional offset. Even if using manual voltage control, raising Vcore about .05 volts can help.

If BSODs happen less often, but still happen, with that change, try another +.02 volt increase. Heat issues can crop up with an air cooler when Vcore goes over 1.25, so go slow when you get near that level.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response, Currently my BIOS Vcore control is set to auto and my processor is clocked at 3.9. CPUZ reads the voltage at 1.152v.
I have upped the Vcore to +.02 so now CPUZ reads 1.168v, hopefully at this voltage my comp won't freeze. I will up +.02 if it does.

It's a bit weird that when I first built my PC I set the Vcore at 1.03v @3.9 and had no issues until one year later (July 2014) I had to set to auto Vcore. Apparently auto Vcore is not enough to keep my system stable...

jab383
Level 13
There is also a tendency for CPUs to deteriorate over time. I've seen them do that in a short time - hours - when severely overclocked and loaded in benchmarking. At 3.9GHz stock and voltages under 1.2, degradation isn't noticeable until the sudden onset of BSOD. One year does seem a short time, though.

Jeff

Hello,

I know its been awhile since I posted this but after tinkering with the voltages for a couple of months the issue still persists. I just started my computer right now and opened my browser with 3 tabs open and it froze on me.
I'm still running 3.9Ghz Core voltage is 1.296v Temps are 33c and the ambient temp is 76F. At that cpu voltage I'm not sure if i want to go higher... any suggestions?

Nate152
Hello RextoneETS

That does seem awful high vcore for stock settings.

Try setting the ai overclock tuner to manual then enter the vcore.

You could also try loosening the timings on your ram a little or raise the cpu system agent voltage to 1.10v - 1.15v.

RextonETS
Level 7
Hi, Nate

The reason for the vcore being so high was me manually setting it to get the computer stable. I used to set my cpu vcore to 1.03v then turned it auto mode at 1.152v.

My ai overlock tuner was on xmp mode so i changed it to manual. My ram is at default 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 voltage is at 1.5v.

I didn't mess the cpu agent voltage (vccsa) until now (its at 1.10v), originally it was at .824 v. If this fixes it then I will lower my vcore.