cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riesenfischuhu Ausf. AE (First Build)

schnicky
Level 7
Hello,

I'm Gilbert from the Philippines. I am a Pharmacist(Yeah! SO RELEVANT!) and I build pc rigs when I'm not dispensing medicine or wheelin' and dealin' like Heisenberg. And yes, I also run a hardware store. Anyways, this is my first ever custom rig that involves chopping and welding old pc cases like a mad man.

And yes! I welded the case using a 2 gigawatt Mr. Fusion and worry about the electricity bill later!

For this build, I went for a Strix theme(even though I don't have the card yet, but I eventually will >.>). My main inspiration for its form is the Japanese Type-10 tank back in June.
7 REPLIES 7

schnicky
Level 7
This part is where I added the "desk" component. It's not as precise as other builds but it gets the job done. It did take me long do this because I only work on it for about 30 minutes after my real work.

After slapping them together, I applied generous amounts of putty to smooth it out. Think of it like putting makeup on a pig...

visual reference:

Afterwards, I applied rust converter on the steel parts( because I use thrown away/excess pieces of steel for this build). So from rusted, it turned into black patina(which is another form of rust albeit good rust because in rust, we trust!).

After applying patina, I then sprayed it with primer coat. Next I applied white coat then finished it off in silver/aluminum, then applied clear automotive coat for extra protection. You don't want the pc to contract viruses right?:p

Bad puns aside, it won't be custom if it's not DIY. So, I went ahead and made DIY switches. I covered the button with cutout stickers then sprayed it the same way as above. As for the base, I drilled a hole for an orange LED bulb so it'll be all Strixy and sh!t.;)

Since I ran out of cable sleeving, I resorted to out of the box solution to hide those hideous cables. And because we're going custom, I thought about Gunpla. And the first thing that popped into my brain was Zaku! They have those metallic beads that cover their tubes. So, I went ahead and covered the cables in Silver Beads. I therefore dub thee, Zaku sleeving™!

Afterwards, I peeled off the stickers and I get those familiar angry Strix eyes. Also note that those wirings were temporary as I eventually replaced them with crocodile clips so I won't get them mixed up the following day. 😄

schnicky
Level 7
And now, we proceed to the part of the build where it's relevant to this message board! Speaking of board, I'm using the Asus Maximus VII Formula because it's one heck of a package of awesome!

But wait Schnicky! I thought we're going for a Strix Build. M7F is an ROG mobo. Shouldn't we be using a Strix Mobo? But there isn't one. Hmmm... How about we make one? It can't be that hard, right?

First off, we rid of the most obvious culprit that makes this an ROG board... the LED logo! I ditched it and used it as a name plate for work so instead of getting the title of MFCEO, I am now ROG.

And like pretty much everything else in this build, we make our own logo. But wait Schnicky! If it's not Republic of Gamers, what do we call it? It's obvious silly, we just name it Republic of Strix!

And voila! Republic of Strix board!

totalrognoob
Level 7
In rust we trust is something I don't here outside of EVE very much. I'm waiting to see what cool things you do to it, definitely like your sense of humor.

schnicky
Level 7
So, here are the parts I'm using at the moment:

Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition - because I'm a poor guy >.>
Asus Republic of Gamers Strix Maximus VII Formula - yes, It's officially republic of strix!
Crucial m500 SSD - hey, it's named crucial, so it must be REALLY necessary! performance you can trust... hopefully it performs like a blue pill! 😉
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866 - it haz bling that comes in orange, so obvious choice! and don't forget, it's crucial so it must be really important like crucial contribution or something!
Corsair HXi750i - notice the i. they put i's one everything! iPhone. iPad. iPSU! Hopefully it's not put together with just hot glue and stuff in a chinese factory!

FTW CPU block - FTW! coz it's so much epic win!
EK fittings and adapters - no comment
FTW reservoir - more win!
DDC 3.2 pump with FTW plexi top - put an epic win like a cherry on top!

FTW tubes - yeah, them winnin' tubes! COME AT ME BRO!
Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS - made in my country so... it's available. other than that... it's awesome!
Bitspower passthrough

Kobra cables - it's orange.

schnicky
Level 7
and now, we proceed to plumbing err... watercooling! But first, just like any modder we put in some thermal compound! And for this job, there ain't no better thermal compound than IC7! Coz it's got diamonds, man! The Poor man's overclocking chip now haz them blingy diamondz! We put it in like a grain of rice! Now, not only is it ghetto, it's also ricey!

And true to our ghetto build, we make it ghettofabulous™! with our ghetto radiator mounting! Then we pour in some Mayhems pastel white and add some orange dye to make it like a fatal case of hypercarotenemia! AWW Yeah!

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my main sponsor for this build. Manang's Chicken! Yeah! You heard that right! I'd like to thank them for providing me with free paper towels for leak testing (and their chicken tastes so awesome! it's totally relevant to pc modding!)

Do note that I'm using an old video card as a placeholder 😛

schnicky
Level 7
And we finally come to the build's finishing touches(except I don't have the graphics card to match it <.< sponsor anyone?)

I used clear acrylic that I sanded to give it a frosted look. I then applied generous amounts of acetone for chemical frosting and heated with a hair dryer. Talk about ghetto sneaky!

But wait, there's more! Since the plotter will go crazy with those zigzag patterns that Asus uses, I took it upon myself to mask the panels manually with good ole fashion tape, then spraying it afterwards. If that's not ghetto enough, we even used binder clips to hold them panels intact!

We then cover the thing in glass, like every other desk build! Except this one isn't just like any other build! We covered the rear end with a semi-open grill that doubles as a barbeque grill in case of electrical fire from watercooling! Deym Schnicky! You think a step ahead of the rest! You betcha, kiddo! Now, remember the 5 D's: 1. Dodge 2. Duck 3. Dip 4. Dive, and well... 5. Dodge!

Why did I mention that? Because Chuck Norris personally approved this build.

On hindsight though, it looks more like a king crab than a tank turret which is a good thing!