cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing windows to M2 problem

bobbagels
Level 7
Hello hello,
I am trying to install windows 7 64 Bit to a XP941.
I get to load the windows set up screen and choose the Mc (Disc0 Partition 1)
When I chose it and hit next it tells me
"setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate and existing system partition. See the set up log files for more info"

Im not sure what to do.
I havent done anything except update the bios to 0802 (board came with 0603)
I did go in and change the PCIE x8_4 to M2
24 REPLIES 24

um, im unsure, what do you mean?
when the "select boot device" window pops up I get 4 choices
1- is the m2 SSDF
2- is the Corsair Voyager 3.0 usb stick (which when I click on loads windows installation screen)
3-UEFI Corsair Voyager 3.0 (when I click this it sends me back into the bios screen)(to the extreme tweaker tab every time)
4- enter setup

Chino
Level 15
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

I am doing that, when I choose that option it kicks me back to the bios every time

Chino
Level 15

bobbagels
Level 7
does it have to be mbr or gpt?

Chino
Level 15

well, i have to give up tonight. Im getting tired. Im doing something wrong. Everything seems ok with my machine, I just cant seem to get the iso thing on a usb stick right.
I formatted the USB stick to NTFS. Is that correct?

abvolt
Level 11
Your USB drive must also contain the directory and file: "*:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi" (* is the drive letter of your USB key that holds the Windows 7 installation files). This is the ".efi" installation boot loader extension. If you do not have this directory file on your USB drive this is how you create it:

First, create a new directory called boot inside the "efi" folder on the USB. You will then need to copy all of the files from the "*:\efi\microsoft\boot" directory into the directory you just created ("*:\efi\boot"). Next, use 7-Zip to open the archive located at: "*:\sources\install.wim."

Inside the archive, find the file located in folder "1\Windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi." Copy this file to "*:\EFI\Boot\" location you created earlier. (Not in the 7-zip) (This file is also available from any current windows 7 installation. It is located in the "C:\Windows\Boot\EFI" folder.)

After copying the file to the "*:\efi\boot" directory, rename the file in "*:\EFI\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" to "bootx64.efi". You should now have an EFI boot loader folder for Windows called *:\efi\boot\" with all of the files copied from the "*:\efi\microsoft\boot" folder and the newly named "bootx64.efi."
Your install media (DVD/USB) must be inserted into your PC prior to powering it up. This will allow your UEFI to register your device (DVD/USB drive) as a UEFI boot enabled device.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20