Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Exclamation G750JW Not Charging, Can't boot from power adapter [solved]

    Ok, so just a few minutes ago my G750JW stopped charging. It had been plugged in all day but I got the 10% battery notice. People seem to say it's a bad motherboard, but the computer is 2+ years old, and I doubt it still has warranty to get a replacement. When I go to try to check though, it redirects me to a nonexistent webpage.

    1. How can I check the warranty status? This link is broken:

    http://support.asus.com/support/imag...final_0827.pdf

    2. If I still have warranty, will they erase my hard drive? I have important school data on it.

    3. Can I repair it myself?

    4. What's the cheapest power supply I can get to see if that's the problem? Do I need to worry about it being perfect amperage and voltage? What will damage it?

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    I have a feeling I might be able to fix something, but would opening the case void any warranty I may have?

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by ajthemacboy View Post
    Ok, so just a few minutes ago my G750JW stopped charging. It had been plugged in all day but I got the 10% battery notice. People seem to say it's a bad motherboard, but the computer is 2+ years old, and I doubt it still has warranty to get a replacement. When I go to try to check though, it redirects me to a nonexistent webpage.

    1. How can I check the warranty status? This link is broken:

    http://support.asus.com/support/imag...final_0827.pdf

    2. If I still have warranty, will they erase my hard drive? I have important school data on it.

    3. Can I repair it myself?

    4. What's the cheapest power supply I can get to see if that's the problem? Do I need to worry about it being perfect amperage and voltage? What will damage it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ajthemacboy View Post
    I have a feeling I might be able to fix something, but would opening the case void any warranty I may have?
    ajthemacboy, it depends on your regions standard warranty. Most are 1 year, some are 2 years, and when it was new you can also get an extended warranty to make 3 years total.

    Ignore the dead link, go to the source for an answer.

    https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry asking about your options for repair. Explain the issue in brief detail, don't ask about anything else on first contact, just get the repair for charging / power filed.

    They may charge you, but then you will have another 30-90 day warranty to cover anything related. Depends on region, ask.

    I wouldn't try to repair it yourself, you might end up with a parts basket and no laptop, better to let Asus repair it.

    Please come back and let us know how it works out

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    It turns out the power supply was bad. We took it to a computer repair store and they plugged it in quickly with an incorrect power adapter, and a light turned on. We sent the power supply in, even though the laptop was out of warranty, and got a new one within a few weeks.

    Hope this helps someone else; before you try to fix the laptop, try another power supply.

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    i want to know how you got them to cover your adapter? they told me EXPLICITLY they wouldnt cover it under any circumstances and mine CAME botched as hell, litterally falling apart. i bought an aftermarket one and its a nightmare. the thing heats up so much and now my pc crashes once a day at least starting a week ago.

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array RAM-disk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Been there. Leave the battery out, that should keep it from crashing.
    "Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by l2apsux View Post
    i want to know how you got them to cover your adapter? they told me EXPLICITLY they wouldnt cover it under any circumstances and mine CAME botched as hell, litterally falling apart. i bought an aftermarket one and its a nightmare. the thing heats up so much and now my pc crashes once a day at least starting a week ago.
    l2apsux, you can get the Asus model adapter from the Asus estore for $99 for the 180w model, and $89 for the 230w model, and Amazon has vendors selling them for 2x that price. You don't need to get an after market one.

    Send the laptop/charger back to the seller and have them replace it if it is in the return period, if not then file a Technical Inquiry with Asus and get it all in writing, and escalate it past 1st tier if you don't get a good response.

    You can also PM cl-albert, he can help with case issues, when you get a case number after filing the Technical Inquiry. A phone call won't do it, or they will ask you to file the Technical Inquiry.

    https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry. Attach photos of the damages as a zipfile to the Technical Inquiry.

    Please come back and let us know how it works out

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •