ROG Member Array

Question Adding SSD and RAM to G750JW (and optimizing general performance)

Hi all,

I bought a G750JW-RB71-CB in September (it was a demo from Best Buy) and I want to upgrade it. I mostly (as in 99% of the time) use Linux, so right now I have 1 HDD devoted to Linux (Mint, Cinnamon, Rebecca 17.1 if it matters) and the other to Windows.

There are a lot of posts on adding SSD and adding additional RAM onto laptops, so I don't have any questions as to how to install them. I can look that up myself. These following questions either I couldn't find answers to, or answers were contradictory, or outdated, (or just overwhelming and confusing!) so I just want to make sure I have the most up-to-date info that's accurate for my specific system. My real questions are (generally) a) What brand/model/specific SSDs do you recommend, b) (SOLVED) What brand/model/specific RAM do I need (SOLVED), and c) Do I need to install RAID?

Details of questions:
    a) I want to switch one of the HDDs to a SSD but I also don't want to lose space, so I do want to get a 1 TB SSD (or as low as 800 GB, just something roughly 1 TB would be nice). I'm hoping to run my Linux on that entirely (root and home) so that's why. I don't want to switch the other HDD to SSD because that would void the warranty. How do I know which HDD is removable; I mean, obviously if I can remove it easily that's the one, I mean how do I know if that's the HDD I have Linux on or Windows on *before* removing it? Also, what brand and model do you recommend (there are many out there! and with varying reviews)? Are there any specific models/brands I should avoid?

b) (SOLVED) Right now there's 16 GB of RAM but I want to take advantage of the empty slots I have. I know 32 GB may seem excessive but in Linux I use Okular to view pdfs and I have it set to "Greedy" status so that loading them can take up to half of the available RAM. For my pdfs to load quickly and not lag, I want as much RAM as possible. I also use Celestia and other programs which take up RAM. I do know that if I want to install RAM, they should be the same that are already in the laptop. So my question is what is the specific brand, make, model, etc RAM already in here so I can get the exact same one? I had trouble finding this info (SOLVED)

c) I see on these forums things about RAID but I don't know if it would apply to Linux right now. I did see this thread which talks about dual booting Windows and Linux with RAID-0; but I'm wondering doesn't the laptop already come installed with RAID? Do I need to install this (not as in "is it absolutely necessary" but as in "don't I already have this / isn't the laptop already optimized")? The thread also does say the 2 SSDs OR 2 HDDs (I guess SSD/HDD combo isn't possible?) need to be exactly the same size; so does that mean if I switch out one of the HDDs for SSDs then I can't install RAID anymore? If I do install it, will the performance improve significantly on Linux with the setup I mentioned in this thread (1 SSD, 1 HDD, 32GB RAM)? Finally, are there any other tips you may have to make sure my Linux is running at optimal performance and making use of all the specs and goodies this laptop comes with?

Thank you for all of your help!!
    Last edited by airatin; 12-28-2014 at 08:41 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

For Hard Drives SSD's in particular people here love the Samsung EVO

Ram? Get Speccy from Piriform, it'll tell you all about what type of ram you use, especially it's name. Make sure you get low voltage ram though.. 1.35volt

I don't know much about RAID, sorry.. but, if you mean with the mSata's (two drives in one bay) the JW would need the adapter, and that's a separate piece you need to buy, then manually install onto the motherboard. Personally I find RAID a little gimmicky. Of course it improves speed, but SSD's are quick enough in my opinion.. ( I'm speaking in terms of money here, if you're a billionaire then go for your life. :3 )

P.S. I think you can pull out the CD drive and put another HDD / SSD in there if you can find a caddy.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Darnassus View Post
    ...P.S. I think you can pull out the CD drive and put another HDD / SSD in there if you can find a caddy.
    i have a standard 12mm thick SATA caddy in mine with the original 1TB HDD.

eject the dvd cadddy while the laptop is on then shutdown.
    then remove the hdd/ram panel underneath and there is just 1 screw on its own to remove and pull (gently) on the dvd caddy and it will just slide out.

most suppliers sell them and they are cheap. mine is just a no-name one off ebay and i've had no problems.
    some of the better ones will come with an external plastic case to keep your dvd drive in which is handy if you need to use it and keeps it safe/clean (i already had one from a previous laptop)
    Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
    1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
    free bag and mouse
    win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

1) I got the Crucial MX100. It has a layer of protection for loss of power. It's just a bit slower than the Samsung EVO, but since I work with research data, that layer of protection is a "just in case" for me. I don't want to be losing files if I forget to plug the computer while in stand-by or hibernation.
    2) I'm on 8GB of RAM. Being a really heavy user (several programs open and running). I have never reached over 6GB usage. Even with those programs open and me taking a "gaming break" (Evil Within, lately)
    3) you won't really feel a performance increase between RAID0 and the SSD.
    Linux will run just fine. Even if you have a dual boot in the same SSD. It'll be fast!

ROG Member Array

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Question on replacing ODD with a HDD, I understand that G750JW has a 12.5" ODD, but I wanna use one of the HDDs that this laptop already comes with and just pop that one into the ODD (basically when I switch that HDD out to install the SSD, I'll use that same HDD I just took out and move it into the ODD). But I think this HDD is only 9.5". So will this fit into the 12.5/12.7" ODD caddy that I need to get? Or do I have to buy another HDD?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by gazzacbr View Post
    i have a standard 12mm thick SATA caddy in mine with the original 1TB HDD.
    Is this to say that the 1 TB you have in there is just one of the HDDs the laptop already came with, and you just moved it into the ODD caddy you got for it? Because doesn't the laptop only come with 9.5mm, how could that fit into the 12mm caddy?

ROG Member Array

Also, one last question,

I bought two SSDs because they were on sale and I didn't wanna miss the deals, but I only need one.

One is the SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB SATA 6.0GB/s 2.5-Inch 7mm Height SSD , and the other is the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD (also 7mm height).

Will either of these fit into the laptop (i.e. fit into where the current HDD is being taken out)? And also, on the one hand the SanDIsk is bigger than the Samsung (960GB vs 512GB), but the Samsung has better performance compared to the same size model of the SanDisk. The SanDisk is also ~$200 more expensive when import fees and taxes and shipping (I'm in Canada) are factored in. Is the SanDisk worth the extra space if I have 2 1TB HDDs that will be in the laptop also? Or should I stick with it if I regret the Samsung's smaller size? The Samsung in the 1TB model is prohibitively more expensive than the SanDisk 1TB, otherwise I would've just bought that.

Thank you guys/girls again!
    Last edited by airatin; 12-28-2014 at 05:33 PM.