cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt on Rampage V Extreme - Requirements How To? Help

blackiecb
Level 8
Ok I have a 5 pin Thunderbolt header on my MB.

What hardware do I need to setup and use this header?
Manual says this is for a add-on Thunderbolt I/O card.

Where do I go to buy this equipment?

Do I need any additional drivers or software.
67 REPLIES 67

Praz
Level 13
Hello

I'm using the ASUS thunderbolt EX II/Dual. The non-Dual can also be used and should be available at most retailer/etailers that sell ASUS products.

Praz wrote:
Hello

I'm using the ASUS thunderbolt EX II/Dual. The non-Dual can also be used and should be available at most retailer/etailers that sell ASUS products.

I've looked everywhere for one-google etc. they are not available (Canada/US) anywhere and have not been for quite a while. In fact, finding a thunderbolt I/O addon is like getting blood from a stone. Do you know of a place selling the ASUS thunderbolt EX II/Dual by chance?
Thanks
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

I have the single, not the double. I bought it from NewEgg in October. It was available on Amazon then also. I see it is out of stock at both locations now.

Amazon got it, but they are out of stock, but usually can get it quickly shipped when they do get it.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

I heard the next 30 days or so for stock.

Praz wrote:
Hello

I heard the next 30 days or so for stock.

Awesome, many thanks for the headsup-will keep an eye out. 🙂

RickROG
Level 11
I may have got one searching with Shop Bot:
Asus Motherboard THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL from Ashlin Technology Solutions Inc. -a Canadian company that does a lot of it's business in the US. Apparently they have 5 dual port models in stock in the US (0 in Canada) so I ordered one. The payment is in CNDN currency, so, USD would be lower. I think I'll have to pay customs and so forth, but, they are the ONLY place on earth according to any of the searches I have carried out-over the last month or more-that have one at all; paper launches, I just do not understand that kind of false advertising. It is like ASUS does not care to manufacture and sell them, but, teases with the headers-mind boggling.

Hi Rick,
Thank you for shopping at Ashlin Technology Solutions Inc..
We hope your shopping experience was enjoyable.
We will immediately begin reviewing your order.
If you have any questions about your order, please contact us.
Thank you.

New Order acknowledgement: xxxxxxxxxx
Order No. xxxxxxxxxx
Customer No. xxxxxxxxx

Ship To:

Notes:
Ship Via Ground Terms PAYPAL Created 1/3/2015 12:10:44 AM EST 1/3/2015 12:10:44 AM Modified Status Pending

THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL ASUS Asus Motherboard THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL $122.65
Subtotal $122.65
Shipping Handling $20.00
GST/HST @13.00% $18.54
PST @0.00% 0.00

Total $161.19

RickROG wrote:
I may have got one searching with Shop Bot:
Asus Motherboard THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL from Ashlin Technology Solutions Inc. -a Canadian company that does a lot of it's business in the US. Apparently they have 5 dual port models in stock in the US (0 in Canada) so I ordered one. The payment is in CNDN currency, so, USD would be lower. I think I'll have to pay customs and so forth, but, they are the ONLY place on earth according to any of the searches I have carried out-over the last month or more-that have one at all; paper launches, I just do not understand that kind of false advertising. It is like ASUS does not care to manufacture and sell them, but, teases with the headers-mind boggling.

Hi Rick,
Thank you for shopping at Ashlin Technology Solutions Inc..
We hope your shopping experience was enjoyable.
We will immediately begin reviewing your order.
If you have any questions about your order, please contact us.
Thank you.

New Order acknowledgement: xxxxxxxxxx
Order No. xxxxxxxxxx
Customer No. xxxxxxxxx

Ship To:

Notes:
Ship Via Ground Terms PAYPAL Created 1/3/2015 12:10:44 AM EST 1/3/2015 12:10:44 AM Modified Status Pending

THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL ASUS Asus Motherboard THUNDERBOLTEX II DUAL $122.65
Subtotal $122.65
Shipping Handling $20.00
GST/HST @13.00% $18.54
PST @0.00% 0.00

Total $161.19

Just want to help everyone. I have the ASUS EXP3 card and use an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 converter and it works great. I am using a Focusrite Thundrebolt 2 Audio Interface on my Asus Rampage V 10th Addition Motherboard. Here is what is connected

Asus Rampage V 10th Edition Motherboard
Focusrite Red Pre4 Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface
Asus Thunderbolt EX3 Add In Card
Apple - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter-white/5687400.p?skuId...

All is working great. Remember to go into the Bios and set the Thunderbolt settings to tell the Bios what slot the Asus Thunderbolt card is installed in. There is another post on here that shows the Bios settings to use.

I am one happy Music Producers.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

It is up to the resellers to stock a product. With the limited market for Thunderbolt on the PC most do not choose to stock these cards. For the amount of money involved there should be no customs fees.