cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JM Asus disk load at 100%

RIG_ROG
Level 7
I bought a ROG laptop G551JM and encountered the next problem: disk load is always at 100% level!
My OS is *awful* Win8.1. I noticed that after several minutes disk's becoming free.
So, what can I do for solving this problem at startup???
I downloaded and installed all updates from Windows Update Center, but it seems to make no effect.
3 REPLIES 3

hmscott
Level 12
RIG_ROG wrote:
I bought a ROG laptop G551JM and encountered the next problem: disk load is always at 100% level!
My OS is *awful* Win8.1. I noticed that after several minutes disk's becoming free.
So, what can I do for solving this problem at startup???
I downloaded and installed all updates from Windows Update Center, but it seems to make no effect.

RIG_ROG, you can look at what is doing the disk IO with task manager, either in the Processes or Details tab - sort by Disk for highest usage on top. You need to do this right away when you see the disk light start up, as typically these are fleeting events.

When you first get the laptop and turn it on for the first time, Windows will do a bunch of background stuff to set things up, including indexing all the files - this takes time initially - but will continually run and update as files are changed, added, removed. I modify/uncheck all the indexing locations, but leave the process/service running as it is needed for on the fly searching too.

The other source for indexing disk IO is from programs like Cyberlink PowerDVD, Asus DVD, and music programs that index your file system looking for media - you can identify which one by looking at Task Manager.

Task Manager also has a more detailed Performance Monitor, click on the blue words on the bottom of the Performance tab, to get this view:

Windows 8.1 isn't any more awful than any other Windows OS, and please don't load Windows 7, as that is a step backwards - use tools like ClassicShell and 8gadgetPack to bridge the user interface gap. The base OS is fine, Windows 7 isn't any better, and you will lose functionality - you can find drivers for some things, but other tools won't work.

ClassicShell / download
http://www.classicshell.net/
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

8gadgetPack
http://8gadgetpack.net/

You can also turn off Fast Startup (not the same as fastboot in BIOS), hibernation, and pagefile to shut off that disk IO and disk usage. I save 64GB on my C drive by disabling hibernation and pagefile, disabling fastboot turns off prefetching some stuff at boot time - which is also what you might be seeing.

Disable Windows 8 fast startup (hibernate file)
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3152/~/disable-windows-8-fast-startup-%28hiberna...

Use the System Control Panel => Advanced System Settings => Performance => Settings => Advanced => Virtual Memory => Change - and set all drives to "no paging file", Ok, Apply, Reboot.

Have fun 🙂

Awesome, sharp answer! Thank a lot for clear explaining.
To be more concrete, I don't have any prejudices about GUI of Windows 8.1
Most problems that annoyed me in 8.1 were connected with drivers problems (e.g. it was a big disappointment to get new a new ASUS N550JV with unstable Atheros Bluetooth driver which was the cause of OS starting after 5-10 minutes, it's known problem. Moreover, this unhappy driver broke normal start of Linux!) or unexplanaible behaviour (like 100% load of disc).
As I realize now, I got a fresh notebook with fresh OS, and Windows need to do some preliminary work as you mentioned above.
I don't see any crime in Details tab of Task Manager, also chkdsc-service didn't catch any problem with my disc.
So, I should have a little more patience)
I confirm that the practice to try installing Windows7 is really bad and unuseful.
Sorry for my English.

RIG_ROG wrote:
Awesome, sharp answer! Thank a lot for clear explaining.
To be more concrete, I don't have any prejudices about GUI of Windows 8.1
Most problems that annoyed me in 8.1 were connected with drivers problems (e.g. it was a big disappointment to get new a new ASUS N550JV with unstable Atheros Bluetooth driver which was the cause of OS starting after 5-10 minutes, it's known problem. Moreover, this unhappy driver broke normal start of Linux!) or unexplanaible behaviour (like 100% load of disc).
As I realize now, I got a fresh notebook with fresh OS, and Windows need to do some preliminary work as you mentioned above.
I don't see any crime in Details tab of Task Manager, also chkdsc-service didn't catch any problem with my disc.
So, I should have a little more patience)
I confirm that the practice to try installing Windows7 is really bad and unuseful.
Sorry for my English.

RIG_ROG, your English is very good, all made perfect sense and communicated your thoughts just right.

Patience is the key 🙂

Have fun!, Scott