Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Angry G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?

    Hi,
    I have a Fritzbox 7490 mit 5Ghz AC Wlan, my G751JY is directly next to it, yet when writing several large (6-10GB) files my writing speed on my Synology Nas (I'm copying files from my Laptop to my NAS) is only 7 MBps max.

    What is wrong with this thing? This annoys the hell out of me!
    When I plug the cable into my laptop I get 120 MBps...

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array ELZZZORRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    Set your Security Options to: WPA2-PSK [AES]. That should help. However, the best you going to get is 18 MB/s. There is definitely an issue with Windows 8.1 and Intel. Keep pointing fingers at each other. Driver issue, not Asus. With my other laptop with Windows 7 Pro, I am hitting up to 46 MB/s. I even installed the: USB-AC56R Wirless adapter and same thing. The system assigns both wireless adapters to USB 2.0 ( USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller -see attached pic ) therefore, you can not get pass the 18 MB/s transfer speeds. So for now I ended running the CAT6 cable to get decent speeds up to 100MB/s +.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos USB 2 AC 7260.jpg  


  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    78

    Quote Originally Posted by ELZZZORRO View Post
    Set your Security Options to: WPA2-PSK [AES]. That should help. However, the best you going to get is 18 MB/s. There is definitely an issue with Windows 8.1 and Intel. Keep pointing fingers at each other. Driver issue, not Asus. With my other laptop with Windows 7 Pro, I am hitting up to 46 MB/s. I even installed the: USB-AC56R Wirless adapter and same thing. The system assigns both wireless adapters to USB 2.0 ( USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller -see attached pic ) therefore, you can not get pass the 18 MB/s transfer speeds. So for now I ended running the CAT6 cable to get decent speeds up to 100MB/s +.
    interesting and thanks for the technical info. I too have noticed wireless stuck at 18mb/s. I just installed the 12/29/2014 intel driver...no change

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by ELZZZORRO View Post
    Set your Security Options to: WPA2-PSK [AES]. That should help. However, the best you going to get is 18 MB/s. There is definitely an issue with Windows 8.1 and Intel. Keep pointing fingers at each other. Driver issue, not Asus. With my other laptop with Windows 7 Pro, I am hitting up to 46 MB/s. I even installed the: USB-AC56R Wirless adapter and same thing. The system assigns both wireless adapters to USB 2.0 ( USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller -see attached pic ) therefore, you can not get pass the 18 MB/s transfer speeds. So for now I ended running the CAT6 cable to get decent speeds up to 100MB/s +.
    ELZZZORRO, the image you posted says it is for the Bluetooth portion of the 7260, not the Wifi side.

    Please plug in the AC56R again, and disable the built-in Wifi, and post the details for that USB 3.0 device:
    http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC56R/

    Besides using WPA2-AES, also enable WMM in the router.

    What make/model router are you using?

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    I also got up to 20 something, my router is a Fritzbox 7490.
    Well at least the unit isn't faulty.
    Still sucks.

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array ELZZZORRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    Hi hmscott, it is well known that there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller. Please review this link for detail info: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers

    This, "apparently" is an issue that Microsoft and the PC maker have to work on a permanent solution.

    As posted above, on my initial post, the internal wireless card (Realtek AC7260) in my G751JY has the a speed cap @ 20 MB/s max), as it is locked as USB 2.0 due to the issue with Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller.

    And it is the same issue with the external wireless USB AC56R adapter. As per your request, please find attached pic of the
    USB AC56R adapter ( locked to the

    WWM it is actually enabled.

    I own 2 AC routers with the latest rev:

    1.- NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
    2.- Linksys WRT1900AC Dual-Band Wireless-AC

    Thanks for your reply and interest to this matter.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wirless USB Adapter AC slw.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	45157

    ELZZZORRO

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by ELZZZORRO View Post
    Hi hmscott, it is well known that there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller. Please review this link for detail info: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers

    This, "apparently" is an issue that Microsoft and the PC maker have to work on a permanent solution.

    As posted above, on my initial post, the internal wireless card (Realtek AC7260) in my G751JY has the a speed cap @ 20 MB/s max), as it is locked as USB 2.0 due to the issue with Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller.

    And it is the same issue with the external wireless USB AC56R adapter. As per your request, please find attached pic of the
    USB AC56R adapter ( locked to the

    WWM it is actually enabled.

    I own 2 AC routers with the latest rev:

    1.- NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
    2.- Linksys WRT1900AC Dual-Band Wireless-AC

    Thanks for your reply and interest to this matter.

    ELZZZORRO
    ELZZZORRO, wow, that's really odd. I used that same adapter on a G750JW/JX and it ran at full speed USB 3.0, and I was running Windows 8.1 at the time I got these results on wireless/wired:

    USB-AC56R - Asus RT-AC68U Wifi JX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedtest #1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	45158

    Ethernet JX - RT-AC68U
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ethernet speed #1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	45159

    That was the max speed of the internet at the time, and my USB 3.0 external SSD 512GB got much higher speeds on USB 3.0 as well.

    Have you tried the driver swap as in that article? It says no longer recommended, but it looks like it gets results.

    Weird. I would report this to Asus both from the G751 registration and the USB-AC56R registration. You've got solid images / numbers so they can recreate the problem.

    Has anyone reported a USB 3.0 Wifi adapter that is immune to this bug?

    I thought both the G750/G751 used the same motherboard chipset, which would be using the same USB 3.0 driver stack, I wonder why the different results?

    Thanks ELZZZORRO
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-06-2015 at 11:48 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array ELZZZORRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    Hi Hmscott, I am not talking about internet speeds (Mbps) but Lan speed (MB/s) on my home network. Big difference between: Megabit (Mb) and Megabyte (MB). 57.57 Mbps equals to 7.14 MB/s. I have the same internet download speeds (50Mbps Down & 10Mbps Up) The issue is with my Lan transfer speed on my network ( transferring files from my NAS server or pc to pc files ). 18 MB/s (MB/s used for file size) transfer speeds on an AC wireless network is not that good at all.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by ELZZZORRO View Post
    Hi Hmscott, I am not talking about internet speeds (Mbps) but Lan speed (MB/s) on my home network. Big difference between: Megabit (Mb) and Megabyte (MB). 57.57 Mbps equals to 7.14 MB/s. I have the same internet download speeds (50Mbps Down & 10Mbps Up) The issue is with my Lan transfer speed on my network ( transferring files from my NAS server or pc to pc files ). 18 MB/s (MB/s used for file size) transfer speeds on an AC wireless network is not that good at all.
    ELZZZORRO, got it, file transfer speed not internet speed.

    What do your Wifi Adapter's Status show for connection speed?

    With AC1300 you should be seeing a 866.5mbps connection:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	802.11ac connection status 866.5mbps.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	45163

    What is your file copy method? Mounted volume? FTP, or? Minimizing the overhead due to transfer protocol on a slow link can help. Pick a faster transfer method with less overhead / handshaking.

    I haven't needed to do this for a while, I don't rely on wifi for file transfers often, but using a program like WinSCP or another similar program could speed things up greatly.

    WinSCP Free SFTP, SCP and FTP client for Windows
    http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

    Filezilla
    https://filezilla-project.org/

    psftp / PuTTY
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    Have you looked at the 2.4ghz/5ghz interference around your center channels?

    inSSIDer is a great tool, it used to be free, now it is paid only from the maker, but you can still download the old free version:

    http://inssider.soft32.com/download/...FY5vvAodIS4A1Q

    inSSIDer site
    http://www.inssider.com/

    If you have a good connection, and you aren't seeing better throughput, interference can drop the throughput greatly.

    You won't know until you look, it can get quite busy out there
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-07-2015 at 01:15 AM.

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array ELZZZORRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    hmscott, throughput over Gbit CAT6 ethernet = 100 MB/s +/-.

    My Mac Pro, running Windows 7 transfer rates with the ASUS Wireless USB-AC56 = 57 MB/s. <-- Rocks!!!

    Only a couple of people that own G751's understands this issue. You are limited to 18 MB/s on your WLAN.

    One of the new features of Windows 8 is the built in XHCI host controller software and USB stack. While this brings some benefits like UASP support, there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller and one of them is the Intel Dual band Wireless A 7260 WIFI adapter installed in these G751 laptops.

    I do tons of video editing and WLAN file transfers over wireless AC Network. Therefore, my incredible G751-JY (and I hate to say this) will have to go back to the store where I bought it from 13 days ago. These laptop machines rock, however I can not install Windows 7 on these machines in order to get a decent AC WLAN transfer rates, as Windows 7 is going obsolete.

    These Asus Republic of Gamers Forums are incredible. Keep the good work.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •