cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?

xamoel
Level 7
Hi,
I have a Fritzbox 7490 mit 5Ghz AC Wlan, my G751JY is directly next to it, yet when writing several large (6-10GB) files my writing speed on my Synology Nas (I'm copying files from my Laptop to my NAS) is only 7 MBps max.

What is wrong with this thing? This annoys the hell out of me!
When I plug the cable into my laptop I get 120 MBps...
56 REPLIES 56

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
Set your Security Options to: WPA2-PSK [AES]. That should help. However, the best you going to get is 18 MB/s. There is definitely an issue with Windows 8.1 and Intel. Keep pointing fingers at each other. Driver issue, not Asus. With my other laptop with Windows 7 Pro, I am hitting up to 46 MB/s. I even installed the: USB-AC56R Wirless adapter and same thing. The system assigns both wireless adapters to USB 2.0 ( USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller -see attached pic ) therefore, you can not get pass the 18 MB/s transfer speeds. So for now I ended running the CAT6 cable to get decent speeds up to 100MB/s +.

ELZZZORRO wrote:
Set your Security Options to: WPA2-PSK [AES]. That should help. However, the best you going to get is 18 MB/s. There is definitely an issue with Windows 8.1 and Intel. Keep pointing fingers at each other. Driver issue, not Asus. With my other laptop with Windows 7 Pro, I am hitting up to 46 MB/s. I even installed the: USB-AC56R Wirless adapter and same thing. The system assigns both wireless adapters to USB 2.0 ( USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller -see attached pic ) therefore, you can not get pass the 18 MB/s transfer speeds. So for now I ended running the CAT6 cable to get decent speeds up to 100MB/s +.

interesting and thanks for the technical info. I too have noticed wireless stuck at 18mb/s. I just installed the 12/29/2014 intel driver...no change

ELZZZORRO wrote:

ELZZZORRO, the image you posted says it is for the Bluetooth portion of the 7260, not the Wifi side.

Please plug in the AC56R again, and disable the built-in Wifi, and post the details for that USB 3.0 device:
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC56R/

Besides using WPA2-AES, also enable WMM in the router.

What make/model router are you using?

Hi hmscott, it is well known that there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller. Please review this link for detail info: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

This, "apparently" is an issue that Microsoft and the PC maker have to work on a permanent solution.

As posted above, on my initial post, the internal wireless card (Realtek AC7260) in my G751JY has the a speed cap @ 20 MB/s max), as it is locked as USB 2.0 due to the issue with Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller.

And it is the same issue with the external wireless USB AC56R adapter. As per your request, please find attached pic of the
USB AC56R adapter ( locked to the

WWM it is actually enabled.

I own 2 AC routers with the latest rev:

1.- NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
2.- Linksys WRT1900AC Dual-Band Wireless-AC

Thanks for your reply and interest to this matter.

ELZZZORRO

ELZZZORRO wrote:
Hi hmscott, it is well known that there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller. Please review this link for detail info: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

This, "apparently" is an issue that Microsoft and the PC maker have to work on a permanent solution.

As posted above, on my initial post, the internal wireless card (Realtek AC7260) in my G751JY has the a speed cap @ 20 MB/s max), as it is locked as USB 2.0 due to the issue with Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller.

And it is the same issue with the external wireless USB AC56R adapter. As per your request, please find attached pic of the
USB AC56R adapter ( locked to the

WWM it is actually enabled.

I own 2 AC routers with the latest rev:

1.- NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
2.- Linksys WRT1900AC Dual-Band Wireless-AC

Thanks for your reply and interest to this matter.

ELZZZORRO

ELZZZORRO, wow, that's really odd. I used that same adapter on a G750JW/JX and it ran at full speed USB 3.0, and I was running Windows 8.1 at the time I got these results on wireless/wired:

USB-AC56R - Asus RT-AC68U Wifi JX

Ethernet JX - RT-AC68U

That was the max speed of the internet at the time, and my USB 3.0 external SSD 512GB got much higher speeds on USB 3.0 as well.

Have you tried the driver swap as in that article? It says no longer recommended, but it looks like it gets results.

Weird. I would report this to Asus both from the G751 registration and the USB-AC56R registration. You've got solid images / numbers so they can recreate the problem.

Has anyone reported a USB 3.0 Wifi adapter that is immune to this bug?

I thought both the G750/G751 used the same motherboard chipset, which would be using the same USB 3.0 driver stack, I wonder why the different results?

Thanks ELZZZORRO

Hi Hmscott, I am not talking about internet speeds (Mbps) but Lan speed (MB/s) on my home network. Big difference between: Megabit (Mb) and Megabyte (MB). 57.57 Mbps equals to 7.14 MB/s. I have the same internet download speeds (50Mbps Down & 10Mbps Up) The issue is with my Lan transfer speed on my network ( transferring files from my NAS server or pc to pc files ). 18 MB/s (MB/s used for file size) transfer speeds on an AC wireless network is not that good at all.

ELZZZORRO wrote:
Hi Hmscott, I am not talking about internet speeds (Mbps) but Lan speed (MB/s) on my home network. Big difference between: Megabit (Mb) and Megabyte (MB). 57.57 Mbps equals to 7.14 MB/s. I have the same internet download speeds (50Mbps Down & 10Mbps Up) The issue is with my Lan transfer speed on my network ( transferring files from my NAS server or pc to pc files ). 18 MB/s (MB/s used for file size) transfer speeds on an AC wireless network is not that good at all.

ELZZZORRO, got it, file transfer speed not internet speed.

What do your Wifi Adapter's Status show for connection speed?

With AC1300 you should be seeing a 866.5mbps connection:

What is your file copy method? Mounted volume? FTP, or? Minimizing the overhead due to transfer protocol on a slow link can help. Pick a faster transfer method with less overhead / handshaking.

I haven't needed to do this for a while, I don't rely on wifi for file transfers often, but using a program like WinSCP or another similar program could speed things up greatly.

WinSCP Free SFTP, SCP and FTP client for Windows
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Filezilla
https://filezilla-project.org/

psftp / PuTTY
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Have you looked at the 2.4ghz/5ghz interference around your center channels?

inSSIDer is a great tool, it used to be free, now it is paid only from the maker, but you can still download the old free version:

http://inssider.soft32.com/download/file/id/1225108/?lp=adwords&tg=us&kw=Inssider+download&mt=e&ad=4...

inSSIDer site
http://www.inssider.com/

If you have a good connection, and you aren't seeing better throughput, interference can drop the throughput greatly.

You won't know until you look, it can get quite busy out there 🙂

hmscott, throughput over Gbit CAT6 ethernet = 100 MB/s +/-.

My Mac Pro, running Windows 7 transfer rates with the ASUS Wireless USB-AC56 = 57 MB/s. <-- Rocks!!!

Only a couple of people that own G751's understands this issue. You are limited to 18 MB/s on your WLAN.

One of the new features of Windows 8 is the built in XHCI host controller software and USB stack. While this brings some benefits like UASP support, there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller and one of them is the Intel Dual band Wireless A 7260 WIFI adapter installed in these G751 laptops.

I do tons of video editing and WLAN file transfers over wireless AC Network. Therefore, my incredible G751-JY (and I hate to say this) will have to go back to the store where I bought it from 13 days ago. These laptop machines rock, however I can not install Windows 7 on these machines in order to get a decent AC WLAN transfer rates, as Windows 7 is going obsolete.

These Asus Republic of Gamers Forums are incredible. Keep the good work.

ELZZZORRO wrote:
hmscott, throughput over Gbit CAT6 ethernet = 100 MB/s +/-.

My Mac Pro, running Windows 7 transfer rates with the ASUS Wireless USB-AC56 = 57 MB/s. <-- Rocks!!!

Only a couple of people that own G751's understands this issue. You are limited to 18 MB/s on your WLAN.

One of the new features of Windows 8 is the built in XHCI host controller software and USB stack. While this brings some benefits like UASP support, there are some devices that currently don’t work with the Microsoft stack on the Intel USB 3.0 host controller and one of them is the Intel Dual band Wireless A 7260 WIFI adapter installed in these G751 laptops.

I do tons of video editing and WLAN file transfers over wireless AC Network. Therefore, my incredible G751-JY (and I hate to say this) will have to go back to the store where I bought it from 13 days ago. These laptop machines rock, however I can not install Windows 7 on these machines in order to get a decent AC WLAN transfer rates, as Windows 7 is going obsolete.

These Asus Republic of Gamers Forums are incredible. Keep the good work.

ELZZZORRO, your Mac is getting the throughput I would expect. Before you give up on the current state of things, 20MB/sec is only 1/2 the Mac throughput, terrible yes, but will it slow up your workflow that much?

Refresh the page and look at my last post again, sometimes I get into thinking / research mode and keep updating the same post, and there are several programs that will get around the network mounted file system overhead, and might get you close enough to the Mac throughput to make it useful until Microsoft / Intel / Asus come up with a fix.

Even if you have a max fixed rate of throughput with the bad USB, reducing the transfer protocol overhead might help enough.

I assume you are going from SSD on your G571 to the network, but if you are going from an HDD, you might use quietHDD to turn off APM to reduce head parking and spin down - if the OS is reading ahead and caching it might be long enough between reads/writes for the disk APM to affect throughput.

quiethdd - set APM/AAM to 255/255 in settings, and select Disable APM in the systray app right click pop up.
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

You can also disable Device manager settings for power save on internal/external devices / internal hubs. And, disable spinning down the HDD / SSD in the power plan advanced settings.