cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant get the g750jh displayport to work with thunderbolt

nazgullz
Level 7
hello,
i bought dell u2414h and i want to connect the displayport to the thunderbolt,but the screen doesnt seems to work-it displays a massage that nothing is connected,while i connected it to the laptop.
the hdmi works fine and the screen is new.
i cant find any settings or anything about the thunderbolt port in my laptop.
8 REPLIES 8

nazgullz
Level 7
up..
sorry i realy need help..anyyoing to use the screen with hdmi 10m cable for laptop that is 1meter near ;[

hmscott
Level 12
nazgullz wrote:
hello,
i bought dell u2414h and i want to connect the displayport to the thunderbolt,but the screen doesnt seems to work-it displays a massage that nothing is connected,while i connected it to the laptop.
the hdmi works fine and the screen is new.
i cant find any settings or anything about the thunderbolt port in my laptop.

nazgullz, it is a dual port, a combination DisplayPort and Thunderbolt port. When you plug in a DisplayPort cable to the laptop and then to your screen it isn't a Thunderbolt port, it is a Video Out DisplayPort.

We need to know what model G750 you have.

The G750JW/JX/JH direct connect to the Nvidia GPU so you can use the Nvidia Control Panel to manage the DisplayPort output. You need to manage it from there before you will see anything output on the Dell monitor.

The G750JM/JS/JZ/JY use Intel iGPU / Optimus, so you need to manage the DisplayPort output from the Intel Control Panel.

Did the DisplayPort cable come from Dell with the Monitor? If not, you may need a newer DisplayPort 1.2 cable.

Here is the DisplayPort 1.2 cable I used for my G750JH to an Asus PB278Q @ 2560 x 1440

Accell B143B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Latch, White, 6.6-Feet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7R9I22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

thanks for the quick reply, i was looking into the control panel and got no option to see the thunderbolt or anything related.
i got the g750jh and the displayport cable came with the new screen.
maybe i am missing something?

nazgullz wrote:
thanks for the quick reply, i was looking into the control panel and got no option to see the thunderbolt or anything related.
i got the g750jh and the displayport cable came with the new screen.
maybe i am missing something?

nazgullz, again, you aren't looking for Thunderbolt, you are looking for DisplayPort. 🙂

You should see the Display in the Nvidia Control Panel, your display will show up here, when you have the Dell Display set to input on DisplayPort - the display has to be on the wire for the Nvidia card to see it, and vis versa - the Dell Display needs to see the Nvidia card plugged in to sync up.

You set up multiple displays here, set it them to independent desktops

Then you can adjust the various settings like resolution by selecting within the left list of sections, and set independent settings for each display

Do you see the Dell Display when you view those areas of the Nvidia Control Panel? Did you set the Dell monitor to input on DisplayPort? It likely defaults to another port, like HDMI or VGA or DVI, you need to set it specifically to the DisplayPort input.

nazgullz
Level 7
i do see the options as u posted to me and i do see hdmi-hdtv, and 2 displays with my dell in it.
but i do not see any option to change to display port...
when i set the screen on display port the laptop doesnt "see" the screen(nvidia control panel doesnt see 2 screens as well), and the screen goes to safe mode and want to turn off in 5 min.

nazgullz wrote:
i do see the options as u posted to me and i do see hdmi-hdtv, and 2 displays with my dell in it.
but i do not see any option to change to display port...
when i set the screen on display port the laptop doesnt "see" the screen(nvidia control panel doesnt see 2 screens as well), and the screen goes to safe mode and want to turn off in 5 min.

nazgullz, start with 1 connection to the Dell monitor, then when you get that working you can try running 2 cables/connections at the same time.

Using only the DisplayPort cable/connection, remove the HDMI cable, power off the Laptop/Display and then power on the Dell Monitor and select the DisplayPort input on the monitor, then power up the laptop and go into the Nvidia Control Panel - you should see the Dell monitor.

When I have connected 2 cables to a Dell monitor, to have 2 desktops I could switch between, I also ran into problems. I bought another DELL monitor, so I could have 2 independent screens active at the same time.

nazgullz
Level 7
did exactly what you wrote... nothing works... maybe the cable isnt 1.2?

nazgullz wrote:
did exactly what you wrote... nothing works... maybe the cable isnt 1.2?

nazgullz, it might be a bad cable, it wouldn't hurt to get another to test it out. Make sure it is going in all the way on both ends... If you got it at a brick and mortar store, take your laptop and monitor in to the service center and ask them for assistance in making it work. They will have cables, monitors, other source devices to swap and test to find the problem.