cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53sw fan

thegreatest
Level 7
If you put your ear up to the left side of the laptop the fan is running very loud. It sounds sort of like a card in a bike tire, just not quite as loud. What could be wrong? I bought this about 3 weeks ago.

The GPU has also been running 5-10 degrees hotter and the turbo boost gadget on the desktop has been jumping around a lot. Even when nothing is open and it's just sitting idle on the desktop.
G53SW-XN1
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GTX 460M
6 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
16 REPLIES 16

JRd1st
Level 12
There my actually be something rubbing against the fan. Look here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speak...

I don't know why your gpu is hotter, but things running in the background will make the Turbo monitor jump around. Perfectly normal.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

thegreatest
Level 7
It doesn't sound like something is rubbing. I know that sound lol

I guess I explained it wrong. It's a weird sound and hard to explain. Maybe a clicking noise?

It's good to hear that the turbo jumping is normal though. As for the temperatures, it was idling around 42 degrees the first few weeks and the last few days it has been between 48-50. Know of any reason why or if this is a bad thing?
G53SW-XN1
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GTX 460M
6 GB RAM

You may have too much bloat running in the background though. If you haven't uninstalled any of the Asus apps yet, you may want to reappraise that decision. Lol. I only kept 4. Lol

Your gpu is hotter at idle?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

thegreatest wrote:
As for the temperatures, it was idling around 42 degrees the first few weeks and the last few days it has been between 48-50. Know of any reason why or if this is a bad thing?

What Power4Gear mode are you running? CPU temps will be slightly elevated in High Performance mode vs. Entertainment mode for example.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I always have it in entertainment mode. I'm about 99% sure something is wrong with the fan.
G53SW-XN1
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GTX 460M
6 GB RAM

thegreatest
Level 7
I unistalled all of the ASUS software besides the Power4Gear and the fast boot. Maybe like 1 or 2 others tops.

And yes, it is running a little hotter idle. About 6-8 degrees.
G53SW-XN1
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GTX 460M
6 GB RAM

JRd1st
Level 12
Your house isn't warmer too, is it?

That increase doesn't seem normal. Your heatsink may be a little loose or the paste job may be ineffective. Or maybe the fan has a problem.

Can you bring that in for an exchange at your retailer?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I got it at Newegg and it hasn't been 30 days so I could RMA. I would rather not though. If it is the heatsink or something wouldn't it just keep getting hotter? It's is just always at 48-50 instead of 42-43. It doesn't ever fluctuate or anything. It's also always about 30 degrees right after I turn it on and it still is. So I don't think it is my house.
G53SW-XN1
Intel Core i7 2630QM
GeForce GTX 460M
6 GB RAM

JRd1st
Level 12
I would get that exchange. RMA means you send it to the manufacturer and they fix it and you REALLY don't want to do that.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com