980 Strix Displayport Issues

Qsuicide
Level 7
So I built this SWEET rig...

Intel i7 5820k
Asus x99-pro
Crucial Ballastix 2400mhz 32gb quad channel kit
Asus Strix GTX 980 4GB DC20C-4GD5

Bench built it, blazing fast, fully stable, lots of cool bios options to play with etc. The entire time however, im using a DVI to VGA connected 20" 'Bench Monitor'. After I fully assembled the machine, rebenchmarked, installed a bunch of software, full windows updates including latest EVERYTHING drivers, I go to hook up the 27" Asus VE237Q Dual Monitors using Displayport, I get nothing on the screen (except the NO SIGNAL warnings). I retested on both monitors with a couple different cables, reseating the card, using one of three ports and every combination of two ports at once, still nothing. I had never used display port on these monitors, so I quickly hooked one up to another eVGA 750TI based machine I have here, and boom both monitors lit up no problem. so, cablse are ok, monitor ports are ok.. whats wrong?

im about to pull the 980, and try it in another system to see if I get display port there, ruling out the card as a problem physically. I will also put the 750TI card into the monster x99 rig, and see if that will do displayport output with no issues. I have read A BUNCH of forums about displayport issues on various monitors using the 900 series Nvidia cards from all vendors, but I didn't see much about non posting. most have issues with the monitors not coming on AFTER login screen, but I don't get even the post screen or bios. or windows, I tried manually detecting monitors, its just as if the ports aren't 'connected'.

the ultimate plan for this is to use my Asus ThunderboltEX II Dual addon card to power dual 27" Mac Thunderbolt Displays, so I don't really have the option of just using hdmi and dvi ports for my dual monitor set (which coincidentally both work apparently fine -_-)

HELP! I purchased the best parts I could for a monster rig, and my $700 videocard wont even post displayport. I can upload whatever 'reports' or 'screenshots' needed, and thanks in advanced for ANY tips/help/suggestions 😄

Qsuicide
6 REPLIES 6

Qsuicide
Level 7
SOLVED! I feel like a noob now.

after pulling the 980 and putting it into another system, verifying the displayports work fine, and putting a 750ti into the x99 and verifying displayport worked there too, I reinserted the 980 into the x99, but didn't screw in the card.., hooked up a displayport cable and voila! its alive! powered down, screwed in card, and no go once again. it seems while screwed in, the card connectors sit high enough my display port cables and adapters just don't make a tight enough connection. I shifted the motherboard down as far as it would go, and screwed everything in, and now displayport seems to be working fine.

never had this issue before using vga or dvi, as the space was tight but it always connected. I should note that I always had the displayport cables 'click' into place (and locked so they cant pull out without using the pressdown button) before when I couldn't get a signal from it.. but I guess clicking in, and 'being fully inserted', are two different things.

So enjoy reading this post, I sure had fun solving this issue (a long night of headaches and worries of broken hardware).

Qsuicide wrote:
SOLVED! I feel like a noob now.

after pulling the 980 and putting it into another system, verifying the displayports work fine, and putting a 750ti into the x99 and verifying displayport worked there too, I reinserted the 980 into the x99, but didn't screw in the card.., hooked up a displayport cable and voila! its alive! powered down, screwed in card, and no go once again. it seems while screwed in, the card connectors sit high enough my display port cables and adapters just don't make a tight enough connection. I shifted the motherboard down as far as it would go, and screwed everything in, and now displayport seems to be working fine.

never had this issue before using vga or dvi, as the space was tight but it always connected. I should note that I always had the displayport cables 'click' into place (and locked so they cant pull out without using the pressdown button) before when I couldn't get a signal from it.. but I guess clicking in, and 'being fully inserted', are two different things.

So enjoy reading this post, I sure had fun solving this issue (a long night of headaches and worries of broken hardware).

Has anyone else on this forum had this same issue with the DP not sending a signal and it was tied to NOT screwing in the video card as a fix?

No, but will try!

Chino
Level 15
I'm glad you were able to solve the issue. This happens alot while using HDMI as well. Sometimes we think they are all the way in but it's only making partial contact.

Qsuicide
Level 7
very odd that the display port cables would click in, but still not be in tight enough to make the connection. PROBABLY because I didn't buy $200 cables lol. the machine is tearing up through Valley and 3Dmark benchmarks all night, with none of the previously mentioned lines or wakeup issues that others are having with their 9XX series cards. time to get out the dremel, and clear away some metal on this case so I don't have this issue in the future somehow 🙂

Acrensis
Level 7
I am having the same problem as you. I will try it right now! I hope this works.