Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Phlier, which Nvidia driver do you have installed? Some have reported that 347.09 BETA and WHQL releases don't allow changing GPU/memory frequency on the G751JY, perhaps 347.09 is keeping the Fan Control setting from working on the JZ? Maybe try doing a Custom=>Clean install of the previous version 344.80 to see if that works.
    344.75 is the nVidia driver I'm currently using. I haven't ever messed around with the "GPU Overclock" slider in the Asus GPU Tweak panel... that is, until just after i made my previous post. After sliding the Overclock to On, the fans immediately went to full speed. As long as i have the Overclock slider on, then the fans will respond to the "Full Speed" slider.

Running with the Overclock on, and the fans at full speed, i never went higher than 65 degrees on the GPU.

I notice in Asus Update that there is a VBIOS available for the JZ. Tempted to d/l it and see if it helps with the fans speeding up more appropriately as the GPU heats up.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    344.75 is the nVidia driver I'm currently using. I haven't ever messed around with the "GPU Overclock" slider in the Asus GPU Tweak panel... that is, until just after i made my previous post. After sliding the Overclock to On, the fans immediately went to full speed. As long as i have the Overclock slider on, then the fans will respond to the "Full Speed" slider.
    Running with the Overclock on, and the fans at full speed, i never went higher than 65 degrees on the GPU.
    I notice in Asus Update that there is a VBIOS available for the JZ. Tempted to d/l it and see if it helps with the fans speeding up more appropriately as the GPU heats up.
    Phlier, best to uninstall Asus Update, it has been problematic bricking laptops with BIO / vBIOS updates.

Sounds like it is all running good now

ROG Enthusiast Array

Phlier, best to uninstall Asus Update, it has been problematic bricking laptops with BIO / vBIOS updates.

Sounds like it is all running good now
    Yeah, never had good results with Asus Update, even back in the P4P800 Deluxe days. Don't think i'll mess with the bios update.

I kinda wish i could get the fans to run at full speed without having to use the overclock, but it's better than nothing.

Still wonder why the fan curves aren't better than they are...letting the gpu hit 88 degrees with the fans barely turning just isn't right.

hmscott PC Specs

Yeah, never had good results with Asus Update, even back in the P4P800 Deluxe days. Don't think i'll mess with the bios update.

I kinda wish i could get the fans to run at full speed without having to use the overclock, but it's better than nothing.

Still wonder why the fan curves aren't better than they are...letting the gpu hit 88 degrees with the fans barely turning just isn't right.
    Phlier, the OC is only "5%", IDK if that is GPU or memory clock, or both, but that is very minor, you are getting cooler running than without OC/Fan_Max, right?

The fan curves are designed to meet long life thermal requirements while not overcooling - keeping the laptop quiet. You are likely fine without using the Fan bump. I wouldn't use it unless my CPU / GPU were hitting Thermal Throttling under normal use - and I assume that isn't possible

You might want to log the CPU/GPU temps for a gaming session, and what I and others have found is the max temps are only reached rarely and briefly, otherwise the temps are much lower. You can log temps with hwinfo64 and read them in Excel (convert ;'s to ,'s for better spacing).

Please come back and let us know what you see

ROG Enthusiast Array

Phlier, the OC is only "5%", IDK if that is GPU or memory clock, or both, but that is very minor, you are getting cooler running than without OC/Fan_Max, right?

The fan curves are designed to meet long life thermal requirements while not overcooling - keeping the laptop quiet. You are likely fine without using the Fan bump. I wouldn't use it unless my CPU / GPU were hitting Thermal Throttling under normal use - and I assume that isn't possible

You might want to log the CPU/GPU temps for a gaming session, and what I and others have found is the max temps are only reached rarely and briefly, otherwise the temps are much lower. You can log temps with hwinfo64 and read them in Excel (convert ;'s to ,'s for better spacing).

Please come back and let us know what you see
    Thanks for the help, HMScott, I'll do that. I've been using HWInfo to just determine what the maximum temp was, but haven't logged them. It would be interesting to see how long they're staying at the max value.

And yes, I am seeing substantially lower peak temperatures using the overclock with max fan speed.

Now I have a perfect excuse to give the wife for another gaming session... : P

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

And yes, I am seeing substantially lower peak temperatures using the overclock with max fan speed.

Ha ha ha

hmscott PC Specs

Thanks for the help, HMScott, I'll do that. I've been using HWInfo to just determine what the maximum temp was, but haven't logged them. It would be interesting to see how long they're staying at the max value.

If they would only understand

Let us know how it measures up in the logs...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

so is there anyway i can control gpu fan speed for my g750js? i tried Asus Gpu tweak, Msi Afterburner but the fan control is not active . I dont wanna OC just want to control the fan speed at certain levels. I dont feel comfortable with running fan at full speed.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by amirzubair80 View Post
    so is there anyway i can control gpu fan speed for my g750js? i tried Asus Gpu tweak, Msi Afterburner but the fan control is not active . I dont wanna OC just want to control the fan speed at certain levels. I dont feel comfortable with running fan at full speed.
    For Fan Control - NoteBook FanControl ( use config Asus Zenbook UX32LN )

It's a bit basic but it will allow you to max your GPU and CPU fans

For Overclocking - I'm currently using EVGA Precision, not really a fan of the UI. I May try the MSI one in a bit. I'll update and let every one know how it goes.

hmscott PC Specs

Guys, be careful using NBFC, it could cook your GPU if you use auto mode, or you set the fan speed too low during heavy use.

Suggestions for keeping CPU cooler during heavy loads
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post447787

There isn't a tuned G750 or G751 profile for NBSC, and although using a different laptop model profile that finds the CPU/GPU fans in the G750/G751 makes it look like everything is working ok, it isn't completely functioanl- the auto mode that turns on / off the fans based on temperature doesn't work and you can cook your GPU (CPU seems ok).

I found my idle GPU temps went up like 20c... not good for long life. The fan curves built-in to the G750JH work fine, so I have uninstalled NBFC to avoid damaging my GPU/CPU.

If you are going to use NBFC safely please make sure to monitor GPU/CPU temperatures. GPU-Z monitors temp/freqs for the GPU. And, you might also run hwinfo64 to watch the CPU - just in case. And, don't use the auto mode of NBFC, at least until a working profile for the G750/G751 gets released.

The Asus fan curves are tilted toward quiet operation, and may allow temps to rise higher than seems optimal, but Asus has designed the fan curves to keep the GPU/CPU temps in an optimal range, with quiet operation.
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-11-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast