cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 180GB 530 Series M.2 SSD Compatibility With ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE uATX Board?

cookmv
Level 7
I just purchased the Intel 180GB 530 Series M.2 180 GB SSD (model number SSDSCKGW180A401) from Amazon.com:

or my ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE uATX motherboard:

I am going to put this drive -obviously- 🙂 in the M.2 slot between my PCI card slots.

I have been reading the motherboard manual and they really only mention 2 requirements:

1. Supports PCIe interface only.
2. Supports 2260 (22 mm x 60 mm) and 2280 (22 mm x 80 mm) SSD cards

and it seems like the Intel M.2 SSD fits those requirements (at least from what I can tell). The Intel.com web page states the following with respect to the 2nd requirement:

Form Factor: M.2 22 x 80mm

So it seems good there but what does ASUS mean by the first requirement? PCIe interface only? Also, would anyone mind checking out the Intel web page and seeing if they can figure out whether that card satisfies the first requirement?

The reason why I am paranoid about this is because I have been reading reviews about how few M.2 SSDs are compatible with my board and I don't recall seeing the Intel as one that was mentioned as being good. If I recall correctly I think people mentioned the Crucial M.2. as being well tested.

I would kind-of like to know fast so I can cancel my order before it ships. 🙂 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~M
1 REPLY 1

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi, this is a SATA-based SSD, not PCIE. On the Intel ARK it states: Interface SATA 3.0 6Gb/S

http://ark.intel.com/products/77949/Intel-SSD-530-Series-180GB-M_2-80mm-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC

You will require a drive like the Samsung XP941 or Plextor M6e to use the M.2 slot.

Please see here for the differences explained: http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-dif...

Very sorry it doesn't work, is it possible for you to return the drive for an exchange?