Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Thumbs up Just got new G751JY-DH72X and here's my disappointment with Asus.

I have just spent $3100 dollars for a new G751JY-DH72X. + $150 for a licensed Windows 7, because G751 comes with Windows 8.1 preinstalled which a true joke from Microsoft. I have found out that Asus even doesn't provide drivers for Windows 7.

Having a most expensive laptop out there on hand I'm expecting excellent support from Asus as well. Apparently Asus does not have any plans to support their customers if these guys even doesn't provide drivers for OS other than 8.1.

SO, are we expecting and extended driver selection list from Asus in near future? Because I don't want to start hacking drivers today if Asus will post drivers for Windows 7 later. Asus if your are reading this then please provide drivers for at least Windows 7.

P.S. Windows 8/8.1 is a OS for child, it is not professional OS and not suitable for serious sh*t. I've got this laptop to be a professional work machine with capability of gaming when I want it, 3d modeling, software development and programming, science, NOT a tablet for browsing an internet and sitting in the facebook or twitter.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurV View Post
    I have just spent $3100 dollars for a new G751JY-DH72X. + $150 for a licensed Windows 7, because G751 comes with Windows 8.1 preinstalled which a true joke from Microsoft. I have found out that Asus even doesn't provide drivers for Windows 7.

Having a most expensive laptop out there on hand I'm expecting excellent support from Asus as well. Apparently Asus does not have any plans to support their customers if these guys even doesn't provide drivers for OS other than 8.1.

SO, are we expecting and extended driver selection list from Asus in near future? Because I don't want to start hacking drivers today if Asus will post drivers for Windows 7 later. Asus if your are reading this then please provide drivers for at least Windows 7.

P.S. Windows 8/8.1 is a OS for child, it is not professional OS and not suitable for serious sh*t. I've got this laptop to be a professional work machine with capability of gaming when I want it, 3d modeling, software development and programming, science, NOT a tablet for browsing an internet and sitting in the facebook or twitter.
    ArthurV, the Metro interface isn't required to use Windows 8/8.1, you can use the desktop just like on Windows 7, but with all the improvements and additional technical feature growth since Windows 7.

Windows 7 is an old OS now, getting close to retirement, and "professionals" don't use it, unless for hardware without Windows 8 driver updates. Meeting progress head on, and early, is how professionals handle these OS upgrades.

Windows 8/8.1 isn't bad, it is a new Windows 7.

If you haven't opened the Windows 7 package, you can take it back and get your money back, and put the money into something useful, like a new SSD.

There are free add-ons that make life under Windows 8 more like Windows 7, I use two of them:

Classic Shell - very tunable Start Menu
    http://www.classicshell.net/

8GadgetPack - brings back desktop gadget support, with a bunch of useful gadgets.
    http://8gadgetpack.net/

I hope you didn't blow away the OS yet. If you didn't, then you will want to backup the Asus OS install - as it is the only OS they will provide support for as you said. You can use Asus Backtracker to create a bootable USB 3.0 16GB USB flash recovery drive that can restore to a new SSD/HDD the out of the box OS config.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

If you have blown away the original OS, and you want to restore it, when you figure out what doesn't work / isn't supported on Windows 7, you will need to return the laptop to Asus for RMA so they can restore the OS back on to the original HDD.

Others have returned within the Sellers return period, IDK how long yours is, but it is something to consider and Asus takes 2-4 weeks for RMA's.

If you want to complain to Asus, you should talk to them directly, these are User to User support forums, and although Asus helps out with RMA issues directly here sometimes, it is a rare event. Here are the normal channels for RMA, Feedback, information:

http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

Welcome to ROG Forums

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

I have 2 G751 JY-DH72X with W8.1 and 3 hard drives in each , I have no issues with W8 OS , I use them for editing Beta Cam Video and audio

for CBC TV and satellite transmission of video from my laptop . even in games W8 works great for me . I use Sony Vegas Software , to edit 5.1 audio , 1080P video , no problems

ROG Member Array

Guys, it is my third week on windows 8, I just can't stand it. There's no way I'll stay on it. I'll install 7 anyway but still question remains unanswered:
    Are we expecting and extended driver selection list from Asus in near future? Because I don't want to start hacking drivers today if Asus will upload drivers for Windows 7 later. I know that only Asus can answer this, but I'm asking you guys because maybe you know Asus have done it before with other laptops or models? I'm just trying to predict. Should I wait?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

There will never be W7 driver support for the G751-JY-DH72X. I must add I do rendering with my DHX72X absolutely no issues under stress conditions , 2D 3D rendering works flawlessly. Why not just add Windows Shell to your DH72X. Windows 10 will be here in near future , may be July or Sept 2015. I have W10 as dual boot no issues so far its kinda like W7
    Last edited by toronto699; 01-03-2015 at 07:05 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurV View Post
    Guys, it is my third week on windows 8, I just can't stand it.
    Install Classic Shell, it's free, and it makes Windows 8 look and function exactly like Windows 7. Someone else already suggested it, but it's obvious you haven't tried yet.

I hate Windows 8 as well, and I refused to buy it for my desktop. But now that I've bought this laptop and have seen how fast Windows 8.1 is, there's no way I'd go back to Windows 7

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by geneticweapon View Post
    Install Classic Shell, it's free, and it makes Windows 8 look and function exactly like Windows 7. Someone else already suggested it, but it's obvious you haven't tried yet.

I hate Windows 8 as well, and I refused to buy it for my desktop. But now that I've bought this laptop and have seen how fast Windows 8.1 is, there's no way I'd go back to Windows 7
    same here

ROG Enthusiast Array

why not give windows 10 a try (keep in mind that it is beta). You will get windows 7 look and feel, the OS has new optimizations for gaming.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ReDFoX2200 View Post
    why not give windows 10 a try (keep in mind that it is beta). You will get windows 7 look and feel, the OS has new optimizations for gaming.
    the problem is that Windows 8, same as Windows 10, does not bring anything useful to me at all except additional work to clean up everything. I will not use live apps and all those new shiny features, I don't need windows store, I don't need probably every single feature added that makes windows 8 or 10 looking more fresh/new or different. The direction Microsoft is heading is full online integration, synchronization - I don't like this. When I need to go online I open my browser. I want to be in control of everything. May be I'm old fashioned guy, but the new windows from MS just bring me extra pain in the ass and nothing more. I wouldn't mind of extra stability though.

Windows 7 was like a golden mean between innovations and hardware, I could probably feel like I'm the boss and I can do everything I want, on the other hand Windows 8/10 treats you like child.

If Microsoft could provide a professional version of Windows 8 or 10 that would be another discussion.
    This is just my personal preference, nothing more.

New ROGer Array

I understand your frustration ArthurV, I can only reiterate what others said before me. Install a third-party shell. It sucks, that you have to replace a major UI component, but for me I just continued to be annoyed with Windows 8 even after several months. Classic Shell was painless and all of a sudden Windows was tolerable again (I usually run Linux).

It is kind of crappy of ASUS to not provide a downgrade option like you get on many of the business laptops from Dell or Lenovo. But it is a gaming machine, I can understand it. Many people want touch interfaces, for some reason. But this is what we get when every player out there tries to "vertically integrate" themselves intimately with their supposed customers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast