cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to completely disable the shadowplay button?

zsalab22
Level 7
I have bought my 3rd ROG laptop (G73->G75->G751), and I am really disappointed with the keyboard:

1. I do not like the red backlight with marked WASD buttons. I want to use my laptop for work as well, and this makes me look like "not woring at all" whenewer I am at work.
2. the distance between the keyboard sections is smaller than in the ROG 75, it easier to use the numeric keyboard when it is more away. AND: the num lock button is gone!
3. HOWEVER, THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN: some creative engineer placed extra buttons, including the shadowplay button next to the escape key! Whenever I try to bring up the menu in a game by hitting the most far-left button, the extremely annoying LAUNCH APP window comes up. This is very frustrating - now one has actually tested this before production? I expected more from a sixth genaration laptop.

(I never in my entire life used any of these extra buttons - not in the G73 and also not in the G75 - fortunately, the G75 had only one.)

Even more annoying I have not found a way to get rid ot this "Launch app" feature.

HOW CAN I COMPLETELY DISABLE THE SHADOWPLAY BUTTON?!
21 REPLIES 21

Sanctrum
Level 9
"... AND: the num lock button is gone!"

So how to toggle NumLock on-off ?

What is the role of the button right above 7 at the Numpad ? As it is not Numlock?

I am asking as I do not have g751 yet...

Looks like g751 is getting more and more ridiculous?

Sanctrum wrote:
"... AND: the num lock button is gone!"

So how to toggle NumLock on-off ?

What is the role of the button right above 7 at the Numpad ? As it is not Numlock?

I am asking as I do not have g751 yet...

Looks like g751 is getting more and more ridiculous?

The numlck is "fn+insert" you could see the word "numlck" below the insert button..
the button above num7 with the rog logo is the game central where you create, custom macrokeys and profile settings for your laptop

Darnassus
Status Under Review
.... drive a screwdriver through it.

Alternatively unbind it in the registry! ;d

Google how or I can help you find it if you get lost

Make a registry backup first.

Darnassus could you help with that unbinding? I've googled it and find nothing. It would be nice if we could bind esc to that button.

Darnassus wrote:
.... drive a screwdriver through it.

Alternatively unbind it in the registry! ;d

Google how or I can help you find it if you get lost

Make a registry backup first.

Darnassus, please help, as I was unable to decipher how to make this....

zsalab22
Level 7
Sooo... anyone else have an idea how to disable the shadowplay button?

(please do not reply by "google it", as I already know letmegooglethatforyou, so I only started the forum topic because google was useless)

mavrik
Level 7
Why can't Asus just add the Shadowplay, Steam and ROG keys to the MacroKeys application so we can choose what to do with them!

mavrik wrote:
Why can't Asus just add the Shadowplay, Steam and ROG keys to the MacroKeys application so we can choose what to do with them!

Because that would not be in line with ASUS's policy of making stupid or user-unfriendly design choices. 😉

Richdog wrote:
Because that would not be in line with ASUS's policy of making stupid or user-unfriendly design choices. 😉

Any idea how an app is called when one of the dedicated keys is pressed? I tried editing the location keys for Steam in Regedit.... no avail.