cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System boot to install OS Hangs/freezes

wireghost
Level 7
This is the 2nd Rampage V board. The first was DOA when tested, and would not POST. Returned and was sent one that at least boots into BIOS. Trying x3 different external DVD R/RWs, with a W7, W8.1 and several linux distro install discs. So I've narrowed down that the media, and the external drives are not causing this. Support had me flash from BIOS 0706 to 0901, yet this still persists: On W7 install, it gets to Starting Windows and freezes (no tiles ever form), on 8.1 it begins to load, BSOD's and restarts with no error codes at all. On linux, it freezes. I began to pull everything. Cannot pull the GPU, as I have no SPDIF optical out. Tested it thoroughly at work burning in for 48hrs.I did notice it pushed through once with only one 8GB dimm of ram, but switching out and testing the others by having banks A1 and C1, it does not matter what I stick I put into C1, it will still freeze. The manual shows the succession of installing RAM as such: Red dimm slots, A1, then C1. Tried once just the two reds on he left side of the socket and the it still froze. At this point it's unlikely to me that x3 sticks of RAM could be bad, but perhaps the dimm socket C1. Found where I could set the memory in BIOS to the 2400, and also the configs for Hynix 4x 8GB, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit at my wit's end.

Case: 900D
CPU: 5930K
Cooler: Kraken X61
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (32GB 4x 8BG) @2400mhz DDR4
GPU: Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1200w 80+ gold
HDD/SSD's: Multiple Intel SSDs.
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15

wireghost
Level 7
No bent or missing from what I can tell. The pins on both 2011 v3 Rampage Vs are angled. Even took pictures of the socket. 44615

Doesn't seems to get any better. 8GB sole stick now freezes on w7 setup. I'm wondering if the DOA board did damage t the processor.

Chino
Level 15
The socket looks in order. Confirm that you've connected both the 8 pin and 4 pin power cables. Verify that you didn't overtightened the screws for the Kraken X61. Then proceed to remove all your RAM leaving only one stick in the DIMM_A1 slot. Also only have your HDD/SSD that you plan to install Windows on connected and disconnect the rest.

I will also need you to list the exact models of all your HDDs/SSDs/Optical Drives. Also are you using original, untouched images of Windows?

Was able to install W7 went through the mobo dvd. CPU widget showing temp 21-27c 27c mostly on core 1. Adding 2nd stick of RAM into C1 took but BIOS displays Overclock settings failed. (Don't need to OC anything.) Adding stick 3 into B1 then caused boot loop. Removed the stick and used stick #4. That took (still w/ OC setting error), Added #3 into the last red Dimm socket D1 and it went into the loop again. Removed and it boots (still with OC error). To me it looks like a bad #3 RAM stick. Odd enough, BIOS would recognize 32GB.

But what really gets me, is I was up until 2am last night doing the exact same. Altering sticks in A1 to no avail, and anytime I added a dimm to C1 things got worse. I can RMA the RAM, but I'm still a bit concerned about the dimm socket integrity and why the BIOS is displaying the OC settings failure. Haven't OC'd anything. Unless by default the board is set auto OC. (In which, I don't see an option to turn an OC auto setting off in BIOS). 1200mhz threw me as double data rate. Having an "A+" meltdown, having RMA'd one board, now the RAM and now the X61 as no LED on the pump. Have built so many PCs with ASUS components and when I go to completely re-do my personal build, everything that can go wrong does. My luck. 😞

wireghost
Level 7
4 pin and 8 connected. Verified. Just loosened the X61 pump Head. Have 1 x8GB stick in dimm socket A1. Just ran to the shop and pulled an internal SATA ASUS DVD R/RW, and a new/never used Tt 750w Toughpower Grand (Sapphire GPU could push it) another USB mouse and a ps2 keyboard. Windows Install Discs are OEM. W7 Pro 64bit and w8 Pro 8.1. SSD 1 & 2 are Intel 320 series 300GB and x1 Samsung 840Pro 250GB.

CPU temp in BIOS never goes above 25c. With the pump head loosened, the internal drive now in. It is going through install on W7 with one 8GB stick. If it will successfully boot after install, I'm going to see if I can get the remaining RAM in and I guess start monitoring the CPU cores. The pump was hand tight, so I hope to god that's not it.

Chino
Level 15
wireghost wrote:

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (32GB 4x 8BG) @2400mhz DDR4

Out of curiosity, is this a single kit or are you combining multiple kits?

Oh, on the RAM. Single Kit. One pack 32 (4 x8GB) from Newegg

Chino
Level 15

wireghost
Level 7
Thanks for all your help and support Chino. RAM should be in tomorrow. Ordered anther 32GB because RMA delivery to Newegg arrives on the 6th (strange that wiould take forever) So now I'm getting a total of 64GB, all said and done. Hopefully no problems w/ x2 32GB kits.