Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Two 32GB kits combined might require a lot of work to get stable and may not be able to reach the timings or frequency of a single kit - be forewarned. It can be a game of luck.

ROG Member Array wireghost PC Specs
    wireghost PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme
    Processori7-5930K
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X
    MonitorSceptre 28"
    Storage #1Intel 300GB SSD
    Storage #2Samsung Evo Pro 1tb ssd
    CPU CoolerEK X360 Modified
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Full Modular 80+ Platinum
    Keyboard Steele Series Apex
    Mouse Tt Level 10
    OS W7 Pro & Debian

Ahh.....great. Well, I'm getting the RMA of the exact same Crucial 32GB, to make 64GB. I'm due for some good luck, hopefully. Today, I got in a 32GB kit that works and a replacement X61 (LED works although the thermal compound looks really weak). Just fired up and everything seems ok. The CPU-Z monitor does show dramatic NB Frequency shifts on the RAM monitor from around 1999 to 2999. Should I be concerned about this? Temps fine, but that's an awfully steep variable! This, I'm concerned about. As long as I'm running stable, I'm ok. If the rma'd 32GB comes in with timing issues, I should be able to set timings in BIOS, but sub-timings, I'm not sure. At this point I don't need OC (not really a whole lot of gaming), just looking for for stability and hopefully a turn for the best. Worst case, if the other 32GB of RAM crashes, I should be able to RMA for refund and just get a newer 1TB SSD. This NB Freq fluctuation does concern though.

wireghost PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    MonitorSceptre 28"
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Mouse Tt Level 10
    OS W7 Pro & Debian

Thanks Chino. That was a bit concerning me, considering the large variables. So far so good.

Now, hopefully the wait for the next 32Gb will actually work.

wireghost PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    MonitorSceptre 28"
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Mouse Tt Level 10
    OS W7 Pro & Debian

Well, Got in the rma'd replacement 32GB kit from Newegg (Cracked blister pack in a manilla envelope, but the DIMMS looked unharmed - strange to ship $400 of RAM that way). It took, but only after enabling XMP in BIOS. Several quick memtests (about 3 hours thus far have been fine. (So maybe my luck is slightly better). Did have a problem with the AI suite. After installing it, my proc when up to 70c and the system started acting funny. Added the micron 8x8 at 1.3v profile to no avail, then went back to XMP. Maybe user error when I was opening and testing the eco of the AI suite, but after it crashed and showed "CPU Over-Voltage", I immediately uninstalled it. Moved it up 3 flights of stairs and big difference in temps. (Have gas logs on the ground floor), so the basement room temp was 56 to 60 f with the Kraken running the cpu at around 20c. Upstairs, it now runs idle at 30-31c. Fairly warm upstairs, and have yet to take room temp. But when I rma'd the 1st Krakn x61, I noticed the stock x61 thermal compound was not covering the entire surface of the cpu at all. Might be better off applying AS5, not sure. Only other issue I can think is whether I need to get cooling on the RAM. It's tightly packed. Will be hard bent to find a fan overlay that fits it, but not sure if DDR4 will really need it. I'm still a bit confused as to what happened with the AI suite install.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crucialfullangle.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	45396

New ROGer Array

I had the same install lockup issue with an X99-A running the latest BIOS.

My problem was the RAM as well. I had purchased DDR4 2800 but left it running at the BIOS default of 2133, I thought this would improve stability until got I Windows installed. NOPE.

Once I selected the correct XMP profile, I was able to install via USB stick.
    Last edited by Haohmaru; 01-30-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2