Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

You should send yours in and tell them to stop being cheapo with their premium laptops. I hope repair costs cost them 10x what they saved by being cheap in their manufacturing practices and lack of qa/qc.

At least their lack of quality is giving employment to a lot of RMA techs.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

New ROGer Array

I have the exact same issue.. I sent it in for repair, now a month later they send it back to me, say it's fixed and that they have replaced some parts that was faulty.

but when I start it up the FIRST thing I notice is that it still flickers.. I'm calling the place where I bought it from
    tomorrow to get my money back.

and I was going to take the computer home to my parents for christmas.
    I guess I can scratch those plans now.

New ROGer Array

I have the same problem (flicker low brightness) Any fix for this or must I send my G74 to Asus?

Andre

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Hi Andre.

As you can see from @mrtopaz's #112 post immediately above yours, sending your laptop to ASUS is unlikely to resolve your issue.

@Vulkon's #107 post indicates the issue may be resolved in a future BIOS update:

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkon View Post
    So I have recieved the e-mail from Asus Support, translanting and quoting:

Such issue has been reported. Please, wait for the next BIOS update.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I didnt see in the threads that u have tryed the power option yet through windows

my screen was flickering (g72gx) i tryed all the fix's that were on youtube but none worked , then i came across a sreeen flickering thread here in the rog fourms and it said to change the power option in windows to full high performance and save

it worked for me and havint had a screen flicker since might give it a try if you havint already 8)\

kraygon

New ROGer Array

Did not work here

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Straffa View Post
    Did not work here
    The only real solution is to raise the brightness to the point that the flicker is no longer bothersome. This really isn't an issue, but a function of the technology used in modern LCD displays. They attenuate brightness by flickering the image on & off.....to make it darker, the "off" cycle is increased. Most people don't really notice it, but some, unfortunately, are sensitive to the resulting effect.

An RMA can't "fix" it, because there's defect or malfunction involved. One possibility, for owners especially bothered by the flicker, would be raising the brightness way up, and then using a tinted screen cover/protector for dimming. I realize that's far from ideal, but it might be the only option given the technology.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    The only real solution is to raise the brightness to the point that the flicker is no longer bothersome. This really isn't an issue, but a function of the technology used in modern LCD displays. They attenuate brightness by flickering the image on & off.....to make it darker, the "off" cycle is increased. Most people don't really notice it, but some, unfortunately, are sensitive to the resulting effect.

An RMA can't "fix" it, because there's defect or malfunction involved. One possibility, for owners especially bothered by the flicker, would be raising the brightness way up, and then using a tinted screen cover/protector for dimming. I realize that's far from ideal, but it might be the only option given the technology.
    I beg to differ.

There is a defect/BIOS/software problem as I have looked at other g74sx in stores that have the exact same displays as mine and they do not have any noticeable flicker when I lower the brightness. I am not sure if it is a BIOS issue as most g74sx ship with BIOS 201 and I immediately updated my BIOS after receiving it. I cannot find BIOS 201 to download and it does not come on the software cd. I requested it from tech support and they have not responded in over a week.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

You don't think it's possible that the store lighting affected your perception, of both the brightness and the flicker? I think you have to sit them side-by-side to compare in the same environment.

I'm not dismissing your recollection....I don't think any of us can trust our auditory and visual memory enough to make a precise comparison between sounds or images we see at different times.

(If there are still display models in stores that are running BIOS v201, couldn't you go in and (sneakily) make a copy? I think either WinFlash or Live Update lets you make a back up of the BIOS....)

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

Anyone with a G74 and screen flicker, please contact me for RMA. I know what is affecting them, as my G74 here had the same issue, but is now fixed. Please give me your personal info, contact info, and model and serial number. (North American customers only, other customers please contact your regional ASUS Customer Support)
    Kicking Ass Since Today

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast