cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74 screen flicker (dark backgrounds and low brightness)

380mcn
Level 9
Hello everybody.
I have an asus g74 and it seems that the screen flickers with a dark background.
If i put the maximum brightness it won't be visible but as it goes down to the minimum the screen starts to flickers. It is a little annoying since i paid 1600eur (2200$).
I have seen other 3 with the same problem. The place where i got it told me it was the inverter. Is yours the same?:confused:

Regarding this issue i don't have any complaint so far (1week of use)

Best wishes

(i don't know the model in question but mine is the one with the i7 2870, 16gb ram, 2hd 500gb, gtx560m 3gb ddr5, no 3D, full hd)
172 REPLIES 172

JRd1st
Level 12
Which inverter would that be?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
the place where i got it, told me it was the lcd inverter.. something like this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00JBCQyGoWMhbN/Laptop-Inverter-LCD-Inverter-for-Acer-Aspire-1350-...

Is your new notebook working or is it flickering too?

This is the first time I've heard about an inverter in the notebook. Hopefully, there won't be a rash of bad inverters in our futures!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn wrote:
the place where i got it, told me it was the lcd inverter.. something like this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00JBCQyGoWMhbN/Laptop-Inverter-LCD-Inverter-for-Acer-Aspire-1350-...

You are well on your way with troubleshooting. Your retailer appears to believe it is a hardware problem. Since you just purchased your laptop, I would ask if they would exchange it for a new unit without the issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

380mcn
Level 9
yes it flickers too.. like i said, it is visible from mid-brightness to lowest one, and with a dark (greyish) background..

JRd1st
Level 12
That's not normal. I guess you should uninstall most of the Asus bloatware, update your drivers from the links in my sig, and see how it goes from there.

I'm having an idea it's your power source. Does this happen on battery, too? Are these like horizontal bars?

Make sure 3d is turned off when you aren't using it, too.

Check back with us and good luck!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
Asus bloatware has been uninstalled and the drivers updated have been the nvidia, directx, chipset, audio, (didn't update touchpad, wireless)
And yes, it is like horizontal bars/lines..

I haven't checked the power source. Perhaps it can be the european version .. i really don't know but i think the power source is the same worldwide (except the wall plug) .
i really don't use the battery so i'll check it later. (i have a 5yr old compal cl56 with has the battery in mint conditions 2 1/2 hour of life)

update: my model is not the 3D version

JRd1st
Level 12
Definitely try it on battery.

Horizontal bars sounds like a frequency component from the power source is sneaking into the video somehow. Maybe you have bad filtering for some reason?

Wait a sec, is your battery out of the laptop? A battery sometimes acts as a great filter, actually like a huge capacitor.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
yes. my battery is still on the pink plastic from the factory.
but it should never happen. if i use the battery all the time in less than 12 months it will wear..

so the power source is sneaking into the video.. the filtering, isn't it done by the LCD inverter after all?