cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i upgrade the GPU of G750JW ?

sahajarora1286
Level 7
Hello, I bought the ROG G750JW for $1600 hoping that now finally I'd be able to play games on ultra settings. Although I knew that the gpu that this laptop comes with would not support the Ultra settings but I was told by a sales representative at FutureShop that the GPU is upgradable. Today, I felt that I should finally upgrade my graphics card, and therefore I started looking for GPUs that support ultra settings. I came to a conclusion of buying the Geforce GTX 770 4GB, but as I read on a few places on the internet, it came to my knowledge that the gpu on my laptop can't be upgraded at all. I want to know if that's true? Can i NOT upgrade my gpu to a better one? I really wanna play games on ultra settings and I have all the money. Is there any option to be able to do that? P.S I want to buy one today itself if possible, so it'd be great if I could receive a response on this post asap 🙂 Thankyou.
7 REPLIES 7

l2apsux
Level 7
sahajarora1286 wrote:
Hello, I bought the ROG G750JW for $1600 hoping that now finally I'd be able to play games on ultra settings. Although I knew that the gpu that this laptop comes with would not support the Ultra settings but I was told by a sales representative at FutureShop that the GPU is upgradable. Today, I felt that I should finally upgrade my graphics card, and therefore I started looking for GPUs that support ultra settings. I came to a conclusion of buying the Geforce GTX 770 4GB, but as I read on a few places on the internet, it came to my knowledge that the gpu on my laptop can't be upgraded at all. I want to know if that's true? Can i NOT upgrade my gpu to a better one? I really wanna play games on ultra settings and I have all the money. Is there any option to be able to do that? P.S I want to buy one today itself if possible, so it'd be great if I could receive a response on this post asap 🙂 Thankyou.

NOAP.

youre going to have a bad time. whoever told you that lied to you.

let me break it down because alot of people will just say no without telling you why.

the cases that house the 765m will absolutely not house an sli setup, (there is only one pci bus on our mobo) and beyond a doubt you can only fit another one of these cards inside, UNLESS YOU CAa GET YOUR HANDS ON A CARD THE EXACT SAME DIMENTIONS IN PHYSICAL SIZE, AND AN exact LINE UP OF THE PINS TO THE BUS, that will also have any semblance of driver support. there is no upgrading your gpu or cpu.

things you CAN upgrade.

your wireless card,(KILLER is the way to go)
your optical drive (blue ray)
your hdds and ssds ( you can support raid 1-0 and with 2 drive bays you have lots of expansion)
you can try getting a 17.3 inch replacement screen with a higher/lower? refresh rate to get stable frames at the higher settings you want
you can max out your ram and if youre going all out go for dual channel. (1.35 v)
last but not least you can repaste your gpu and cpu to get better cooling performance.
there are some keyboard backlight DIY color mods for this as well on youtube.

doing all that will increase the resale value of the machine while also increasing the performance. but if i were you, i would do all that and sell it ASAP.
the g750 jw is the lemon of rog machines. mostly the best buy ones.

l2apsux wrote:
NOAP.

youre going to have a bad time. whoever told you that lied to you.

let me break it down because alot of people will just say no without telling you why.

the cases that house the 765m will absolutely not house an sli setup, (there is only one pci bus on our mobo) and beyond a doubt you can only fit another one of these cards inside, UNLESS YOU CAa GET YOUR HANDS ON A CARD THE EXACT SAME DIMENTIONS IN PHYSICAL SIZE, AND AN exact LINE UP OF THE PINS TO THE BUS, that will also have any semblance of driver support. there is no upgrading your gpu or cpu.

things you CAN upgrade.

your wireless card,(KILLER is the way to go)
your optical drive (blue ray)
your hdds and ssds ( you can support raid 1-0 and with 2 drive bays you have lots of expansion)
you can try getting a 17.3 inch replacement screen with a higher/lower? refresh rate to get stable frames at the higher settings you want
you can max out your ram and if youre going all out go for dual channel. (1.35 v)
last but not least you can repaste your gpu and cpu to get better cooling performance.
there are some keyboard backlight DIY color mods for this as well on youtube.

doing all that will increase the resale value of the machine while also increasing the performance. but if i were you, i would do all that and sell it ASAP.
the g750 jw is the lemon of rog machines. mostly the best buy ones.

I know this is an ancient post, but I have the JW as well, and was thinking of upgrading the GPU. Having come across this thread now, I'm obviously limited.

I was wondering if I found a used 770m or 780m from the same G750 model, wouldn't that work? Or are the interfaces different even within the same G750 model.

Thanks.

JustinThyme
Level 13
In short, no.*

The CPUs and GPUs are part of the motherboard. There are no sockets or cards to change. The GPU, VRAM et al are soldered to the motherboard. The only components that can be changed are RAM and Drives.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
In short, no.*

The CPUs and GPUs are part of the motherboard. There are no sockets or cards to change. The GPU, VRAM et al are soldered to the motherboard. The only components that can be changed are RAM and Drives.*

Well, thanks for the effort but I know that's not true. I've dissambeled the laptop many times and removed the graphic card before to reapply thermal paste. I dont know about the newer models, but the G750 has a removable card. Although the CPU on the other hand, I think was soldered.

JustinThyme wrote:
In short, no.*

In theory CPU can be replaced by buying a motherboard that has a newer CPU.

I had 4700HQ in my g750jz by stock but I then bought a motherboard that had 4860HQ installed.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
In theory CPU can be replaced by buying a motherboard that has a newer CPU.

I had 4700HQ in my g750jz by stock but I then bought a motherboard that had 4860HQ installed.

Interestinggg...

Is it just a simple swap out? Or anything else involved? I don't mind the disassembly part it's easy.

I guess that would also remove any need to add a vBios if I just get the one for the GPU I want.

roryh86 wrote:
Interestinggg...

Is it just a simple swap out? Or anything else involved? I don't mind the disassembly part it's easy.

I guess that would also remove any need to add a vBios if I just get the one for the GPU I want.

Yes. To explain a bit more.

I had and still have G750JZ. It came with 4700HQ. I bought a new motherboard and this one had 4860HQ instead. Everything else was compatible with this new motherboard because down the line asus apparently released a newer model with the said CPU.

If you want to check if your model also has a never CPU just go to ebay and type -the name of your laptop- motherboard 4860hq or just -the name of your laptop- motherboard and you will see the results.

In my case g750jz motherboard and a lot of them are with 4860HQ.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD