cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog G751JY-DH71 feedback plus some questions I need help on

asus_rog_user1
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

I received my Asus Rog laptop today and would like to start a thread about things I like and don't like and open questions I have.

My first steps when I got the laptop.
1) I admired the packaging it came in. Asus always deliveries their product in nice packages. Not that this matters but it is a nice 1st impression.
2) I opened the box and turned the laptop on. It booted in less than 10 seconds. Wow. What a gorgeous laptop. It wasn't as thick as I thought too. Asus gets an A for design.
3) Next I created a recovery disk using a 16 gb flash drive. I know asus has a recover partition but I like to be safe.
4) I created a system image so I have a backup of the factory settings before I update or add anything. I did this option using a link on the file history program. I had to back it up to a secondary drive an then I moved it to a 16 gb flash drive. The system image tool in windows 8.1 would not write to dvd-r's nor would it write directly to my USB. This caused me hours of pain and I didn't get to enjoy the laptop much today. Thanks Microsoft for the poor implementation!

- Touchpad seems very responsive
- Keyboard is nicely laid out and the keys are nice to type on
- The laptop is lighting fast
- When not playing games, the system is extremely silent. Asus has done an excellent job with the thermal improvements.

Dislikes
- The finish on the laptop shows smudges and requires a lot of wiping down to keep it looking clean
- I can't seem to find a quick off button for the touchpad and this can cause the mouse to jump if you are typing with the laptop keyboard.
- Creating a System Image disk was very difficult to do with Windows 8.1 but after several hours I finally got it created. This is a windows 8.1 dislike not asus rog.
- Windows 8.1. I am going in with an open mind and hopeful I can learn to like it.

Questions
- My ROG laptop is suppose to have a 256 gb M.2 PCIE SSD and a 1TB drive. When I look in windows file explorer, I can see I have the following drives: OS (C:) - 95.3 gb, Data (D:) - 130 gb, Data 1(E:) - 465 gb, Data2 (F:) - 465 gb. It appears asus pre-setup a partition on the SSD (C and D) and the HDD (E and F). Why did they do this? Is there an advantage for speed? Can I undo the 1TB HDD so it's just 1 big drive?
- Is there any other setup tasks I should do before I start using my laptop?
- Any recommendations on which drives I use for games, pictures, videos, music, and documents? I am thinking I should put my most used games on D drive which I believe is the 2nd part of the SSD. Then low use games I put on the E/F drives.
4 REPLIES 4

asus_rog_user1
Level 7
Day 2

I saw a post that people were having issues with youtube showing black bars when transitioning from full screen back to the browser with the esc key. I tried the same thing and was able to re-reproduce the issue. This is not an ASUS issue rather an NVidia driver issue. I checked for updated drives and there was one for Nvidia so I updated it a while ago. I re-ran the same youtube video and the transition was much smoother. I think little things like this will continue to get better as Nvidia improves the driver.

I also am not experiencing any sound issues when I play games on Origin or listen to mp3's or watch youtube video. I did notice some choppiness in youtube but that is gone now that I updated the driver.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone. I will post more as I get hands on with this beast of a machine. Also, if someone has some time I would like to hear feedback on my questions above.

RMXM
Level 7
Yeah I had that Youtube issue too, but was told it can also be from the internet because of my old router but might be what you said too.
So far my only issue remains with the sound once over 40 it has that poor cheap speaker cracking or how should I say. Even lower then 40 it still makes that annoying vibration while playing some games. Thinking to take mine back and change it with another, hopefully a working out of the box one.

RogueNote wrote:
Yeah I had that Youtube issue too, but was told it can also be from the internet because of my old router but might be what you said too.
So far my only issue remains with the sound once over 40 it has that poor cheap speaker cracking or how should I say. Even lower then 40 it still makes that annoying vibration while playing some games. Thinking to take mine back and change it with another, hopefully a working out of the box one.

RogueNote, try the Nvidia driver upgrade too, both the Wifi and Nvidia are good drivers to update early. I would wait a few days to test out the hardware before going on a driver update binge. If you update a bunch of things at once while in the middle of discovering / exploring your new laptop, you won't know if the problem was out of the box or caused by a driver update.

And, be sure to note the version that was installed originally - it used to be that Asus Install could reinstall original drivers from C:\eSupport\eDriver but it seems to be missing from the G751 release - so you will need to download the original drivers from Asus if you blow them away by installing updated drivers - sometimes updated drivers don't improve things and can make things worse... something to keep in mind - always be prepared to roll back to the previous known good driver.

amirzubair80
Level 9
i had a really bad experience at the start. Had not created recovery and my Windows got messed up. I ended up deleting all partitions and re installing windows 8. Now laptop is faster than before.. 🙂