cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW G74SX WONT TURN ON - PLEASE HELP!!!

Retired
Not applicable
I've bought a ASUS G74SX-XA1 few days ago. I turned it on the first time and did the initial recovery DVD's and then installed a few software and a video game. I mean I used it that day without any problem and, at night, I shut it off normally. The next day I tried to turn on the notebook but anything happened... I tried to turn it on with battery pack and AC adapter, then with the battery only and then with the AC adapter only... And nothing happened... After that, I removed the battery and the AC adapter and hold the power on button for 45 seconds and then plug the battery and the AC adapter again but... still nothing. Please I need help!!!! Any ideas?? Faulty RAM stick? HDD died??? PLEASE HELP!!! Forgive my english
19 REPLIES 19

JRd1st
Level 12
Hi! Welcome to the ROG forums!

This fix is for a different model, and may not work but try it anyway. Get a medium strength magnet, put a piece of paper over the handrest just left of the touchpad buttons to protect the finish, put the magnet on the paper and rub it in a circular motion for about a MINUTE. Try to turn the notebook on.

Let us know if it works. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
The reason for JR's recommendation is there is a magnetic switch that determines if the laptop display is closed to sleep/hibernate/shut down the laptop. If the switch is stuck, it may be preventing your laptop from starting. The action with the magnet will hopefully free the stuck magnetic switch.

Just wanted to let you know it's not magic or voodoo... ;>{)>

If this fails, I'd be tempted to return to where you purchased the laptop and see if they would exchange it for a new one.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

... and I used a compass to locate the strongest magnetic field in the lid top just for you. 😄 rofl

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I tried with different magnets but it didn't work. Maybe I don't have the correct magnet... In addition to the situation I described before, only the battery charge led turns on, when I plug the battery and the AC adapter. Thanks anyway JRd1st.

JRd1st
Level 12
Damn! Take one drive at a time out and see if it POSTS.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Sorry for the double post, but I also noticed that the battery charge led its now orange, so something is consuming the battery everytime a try to turn on the notebook, right?

Retired
Not applicable
You're telling me to take out one hard drive at a time? Can you give some advice to properly take them out and then put them back on? Don't get me wrong, I replace the hard drive of my old ACER but i'm a little afraid with this new one. So, can you give some advice or maybe instructions?

JRd1st
Level 12
Just turn the laptop over, remove the access cover, remove the plate over the HDD, remove the HDD. Very easy and self explanatory when you see it. If it still doesn't try to POST, put that drive back in and try the other one. Then try each RAM stick but put them back in the right slot. If none of that works, it may be your screen or it's cable.

Let's get there when we get there. lol

And yes, it would seem so. Maybe it's booting . Do you have a login screen? A startup sound?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOOK ONE OF THE DRIVES AND POSTS!!! Obviously, I need a new hard drive, right?