cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK no sound from the right speaker or the subwoofer - solved

TechNuKeZ
Level 7
hi there!

I just bought g550jk and i came across a problem. For the past 4 hours i've been strugling around to make the sound to work properly. The thing is, left side works normaly right side is silent, exterior subwoofer even if i plug it in, it doesn't work. In fact, even if i plug in my headphones left side works right doesn't and its ultra frustrating. I did search the forum before posting this thread, but whatever driver i tried, still no progress. Laptop came with FreeDos and i installed w8.1 straight away, after that nVidia and so on. After i plugged in the subwoofer there was no sound for it, so i remembered oh right, sound drivers, i went on asus site and downloaded realtek drivers there, installed once again no sound from the right speaker or the subwoofer. After that i kept trying new drivers and nothing works.There has to be a driver problem, since its a known problem, i sure do hope any of you Will have solutions merry xmas tho!
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
TechNuKeZ wrote:
hi there!

I just bought g550jk and i came across a problem. For the past 4 hours i've been strugling around to make the sound to work properly. The thing is, left side works normaly right side is silent, exterior subwoofer even if i plug it in, it doesn't work. In fact, even if i plug in my headphones left side works right doesn't and its ultra frustrating. I did search the forum before posting this thread, but whatever driver i tried, still no progress. Laptop came with FreeDos and i installed w8.1 straight away, after that nVidia and so on. After i plugged in the subwoofer there was no sound for it, so i remembered oh right, sound drivers, i went on asus site and downloaded realtek drivers there, installed once again no sound from the right speaker or the subwoofer. After that i kept trying new drivers and nothing works.There has to be a driver problem, since its a known problem, i sure do hope any of you Will have solutions merry xmas tho!

TechNuKeZ, there isn't an audio driver issue with the G550JK that I have heard of... that is the G751 series.

It sounds like you have a wiring issue with your G550JK, and not a software issue. You have debugged as far as you can go, and sussed out that it is a hardware issue.

The only recourse is to return it to the seller, and swap it for another new one if you are still in the return period of the seller. Otherwise an RMA to Asus to repair the audio is the other choice, usually takes 2-4 weeks or longer these days for repairs, sometimes quicker, usually longer, so if you can return it to the seller that is a quicker/better solution.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry with the details of the problem/debugging and ask for a repair RMA.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

TechNuKeZ
Level 7
hmscott thank you for replying, i kept searching and trying new things and i noticed something,(had to edit i did a rollback before i started installing drivers) if i go to Realtek HD audio manager and plug my headphones in, after that pop up came on i clicked on headset, checked the Headphone Virtualization and voila sound is playing in both sides(even without headphone virtualization it Works) but the sound is still a bit off, doesnt sound like it should because for example on my other laptop(4yo fujitsu)Works like a charm, but if i unplug them, same story as before. Just my luck-.- i'll send an email to the seller later on today(1:25am atm :D)if i should bring them the laptop straight away or after new year, end of december nobody Works.Atm they dont have another one stocked in the store where i got it but in another shop across the country according to their online store. I'll sure get back and report how the story ends.

TechNuKeZ
Level 7
OKAY! i found a solution, it wasn't a hardware problem.I couldn't believe that a brand new laptop would have hardware issues so i kept digging.
When i was first installing w8.1 i had 2 partitions 1. system which had bit over 900gb 2.primary which had around 13.5gb so clearly i chose the system partition.When i nearly went hulk mode i remembered about these 2 partitions. Restarted my laptop formated both partitions and installed w8.1 on the primary one(i know 13.5gb is not enough but i just had to test it) and as soon as i installed newest realtek driver from asus driver site..miracle.. everything works..all 4 speakers+subwoofer. Did another clean install..deleted both partitions, so now i have around 930gb primary and system is around 350mb.Everything works like it should even on headphones. I will admit the whole partition thingy sounds quite weird, but worked for me.
SO thank you and wish you all fellow ROGers happy new year!

TechNuKeZ wrote:
OKAY! i found a solution, it wasn't a hardware problem.I couldn't believe that a brand new laptop would have hardware issues so i kept digging.
When i was first installing w8.1 i had 2 partitions 1. system which had bit over 900gb 2.primary which had around 13.5gb so clearly i chose the system partition.When i nearly went hulk mode i remembered about these 2 partitions. Restarted my laptop formated both partitions and installed w8.1 on the primary one(i know 13.5gb is not enough but i just had to test it) and as soon as i installed newest realtek driver from asus driver site..miracle.. everything works..all 4 speakers+subwoofer. Did another clean install..deleted both partitions, so now i have around 930gb primary and system is around 350mb.Everything works like it should even on headphones. I will admit the whole partition thingy sounds quite weird, but worked for me.
SO thank you and wish you all fellow ROGers happy new year!

TechNuKeZ, that's great, good work!

Happy New Year!