cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M7H XMP issues with DDR3-2133

Kendall
Level 7
Okay, so i'm going to put it all out there, but be gentle with me... I'm fairly new to all of this.

My system setup is:
Mobo: Maximus VII Hero - Bios 1104
CPU: Intel 4790K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 2133 See it on Amazon

At this point in time I don't think it would have anything to do with any of my other peripherals so i'm not going to list them unless someone thinks that it may be necessary.

The issue is that it seems my M7H will not correctly enable XMP, and can detect that it should be running 2133, but every indicator after that is that my ram is running at 1066MHz or less.

Here are some system info screens along with my BIOS configuration at boot:

Also, my sticks ARE on the list of compatible RAM.

I've tried adjusting the timings, although I've only tried adjusting RAS / CAS / Etc and booting, setting back to default and booting, enabling XMP and booting.... but I haven't gone deep into trying to tweak. Anyone reading this post can probably tell that I don't understand enough about RAM yet to mess with this. No matter what I put, XMP, Auto, Manual, I keep getting the same or very similar results.

My question is, what am I missing? Is this a hardware issue or am I just totally messing up something super simple? Appreciate any and all help...
3 REPLIES 3

Sparax
Level 9
Hi Kendall

Don't worry mate there is nothing wrong with your settings or ram

The system information tool only reports the DRAMs frequency ie: Single Data Rate

However your running DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate) so that freq is has to be multiplied by 2 to find what frequency the sticks are truly running at so 1066 x 2 = 2132 which is what you should be expecting.

Hope that clears things up for you

jab383
Level 13
HI Kendall, and welcome

Sometimes the DDR RAM will be running at the slower rate - 1333 usually - in BIOS when it hasn't had a chance to get into the overclocked speed yet. That often happens when an overclock fails and the BIOS resets after the blue screen. In that case, RAM clock is 667.

After BIOS gets a chance to boot up all the way, monitors in the OS will show full speed 2133 - clock rate 1066.

Jeff

Kendall
Level 7
Thank you guys... I can stop freaking out now. I'm sure my BIOS is even more thankful than I. No more tweaking!

Or was it just the start?
Muhahahahaha.

Merry Holidays!