cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB3 issues, USB3 Boost not working

mboogie
Level 9
Hi folks,

(system based off Rampage V + 5960x, Windows 7 Ultimate)

Within AI Suite 3 I cannot get USB3 Boost to work:

The Version tab shows:

I'm a bit confused with the above since it suggests USB3 Boost is installed, in fact I can see the install folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite III\USB 3.0 Boost.
My external USB3 HDD is a Seagate Fast HDD 4TB model (internal Raid 0) and according to it's docs does support UASP.

I have tried downloading the AI Suite 3 then navigating to the USB3 Boost directory to run the Setup.exe file (as admin) but this process seems to end immediately after the extraction window begins.

In addition, any connection of the Seagate external HDD to any USB3 or 2 port causes issues with the system (most time the HDD is not recognised). When it does finally connect benchmark software shows an average transfer speed seems low e.g. around 60MB/s when transferring 5 files of 6-31GB in size from internal SSD (Samsung 840 Evo).

Perhaps related, a few weeks previously, I had major system issues trying to get my Saitek X52 Pro stick (ms fsx use) installed. In fact it would not completely install and what did install left the system seriously unstable and unable to shut down by itself. After a long process it turns out that this stick is incompatible with the XHCI controllers in the Rampage V (affecting all USB3 and 2 ports). I uninstalled the remaining X52 drivers/software, but it might be possible that something remains, though I did use Revo Uninstaller to deep scan and remove remnants.
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Have you check that xHCI is enabled? Also make sure you're connecting your HDDs into the USB 3.0 ports.

And have you tried connecting USB pendrives instead to test?

mboogie
Level 9
Hi Chino, thanks for your reply.
To avoid trailing multiple Acronis Backup installs (at this stage), I reset my moderate overclock (to 4GHz via the AI Suite 5-way tuner) back to defaults in the BIOS, then updated to BIOS 0901 (PCIE_X4_1 potential future issue resolved). Then, using the motherboard install CD I reinstalled both sets of USB3 drivers then installed the USB3 Boost from the AI Suite3 options.
On a positive note, this has now allowed me to connect the Seagate HDD at will. Additionally, I have confirmed that xHCI is enabled and that I'm connecting to a USB3 port (tried both controllers ASMedia back plate ports (blue) and the front case, via Intel motherboard header), Seagate BUP Fast HDD USB3 connection also confirmed by AIDA64. Additionally, I now get access to the Asus USB3 Boost function.

Using the Sisoft File System Bandwidth Benchmark I see the following:

Drive Score : 149.59MB/s
Detailed Results
Buffered Read Bandwidth : 241.89MB/s
Sequential Read Bandwidth : 180.2MB/s
Random Read Bandwidth : 66.16MB/s
Buffered Write Bandwidth : 324.18MB/s
Sequential Write Bandwidth : 245.6MB/s
Random Write Bandwidth : 93.09MB/s
Random Access Time : 9.57ms

This does look more promising, so I tried copying a couple of large files (3GB and 8GB) from the internal Samsung Evo SSD to the Seagate, then backwards.
WRITE from SSD Evo to Seagate pretty much stabilises at 65MB/s (peak around 70)
READ from Seagate to Evo again seems to stabilise at 65MB/s (peak around 78)

So something seems not right here. The Seagate is an expensive portable drive and all online reviews detail significantly higher read/write rates for large (GB) single files. Unfortunately, the USB3 Boost function, when enabled, makes very little difference (Turbo option only…UASP not detected – I’ll need to look into that as I’m sure it’s meant to be a feature).

Anyway, is there anything else I might be missing here?