cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Formula won't POST/BOOT

MsTek
Level 7
It keeps giving me random Q code errors and won't show anything on my monitor. I've reseated the memory, checked the cables. etc..

Any help would be great...

Let me add what the build is:

NZXT Kraken Water cooling
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W ATX12V/EPS12V 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1000-XR
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001
80 REPLIES 80

Nate152
Hello MsTek and welcome to the ROG forum. Thank you for the video:)

That's a nice pc and good to see you're getting some time to spend with it.

The code it stops on is the code you want to pay attention to and all those codes are listed in your manual. Since you said it stopped at A2 one time, what I would suggest is trying your gpu in the first pci express slot.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello MsTek and welcome to the ROG forum.

That's a nice pc and good to see you're getting some time to spend with it.

The code it stops on is the code you want to pay attention to and all those codes are listed in your manual. Since you said it stopped at A2 one time, what I would suggest is trying your gpu in the first pci express slot.

I did have it in that slot at first. Ironically I moved it before I took this video because supposedly there is some LED to let me see if there is an issuwith the HD which it shouldn't have yet. 😉

So a little more...

NZXT Kraken Water cooling
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W ATX12V/EPS12V 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1000-XR
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

No optical drive... I will only attach a portable one to install the OS then I don't need one anymore.

ERTUS
Level 7
Update BIOS with USB device, remove CPU.

Only PSU and motherboard must be connected

Nate152
All right

Thank you for your system specs, I was going to ask for them next.:)

Since you tried the gpu in the first slot and it's the same result, try disconnecting the Seagate drive and have only one stick of ram installed closest to the cpu (slot A1).

Are you able to get to the bios?

MsTek
Level 7
Alright.. did as you asked- Back to A2... so that is kind of better? One stick of ram in, HD disconnected and GPU moved to top slot... Guessing I should try to flash the BIOS yet... Still nothing showing on my monitor and no beeps... 😞

Nate152
A2 is either the drive or the gpu.

You do have the monitor cable connected to the gpu and not the motherboard correct?

If so, try disconnecting the Samsung drive and connect only the Seagate drive.

Any luck yet?

The monitor is connected via DVI to the GPU. That is a EVGA GEFORCE GXT 780.

I think the VGA LED is lit on the little LED next to where the 24 pin power into the board goes in.

I disconnected the samsung and put the seagate in... same error.. A2

MsTek
Level 7
So frustrated! LOL!

Nate152
Yes I understand

I can see the pcie power cables so I'm sure you have those connected.

I can't see both your drives being bad, would you by chance have another gpu to try, or another pc you could try your gpu in? This really is the only thing left for me to have you try. I'm leaning towards the gpu since it doesn't work in either pcie slot.