cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX and Windows 8.1 (Freezing a lot)

Dopp0
Level 7
I've cleaned install a windows 8.1 on my notebook 4 months ago, and from one month to now it started freezing windows in a way that I can't start Task Manager, the mouse STAYS responsive, but doesn't click on anything, even CTRL+ALT+DEL almost always doesn't respond, giving an error that if failed to show the options, and sometimes it doesn't even give that error and does anything, forcing me to shut down on power button.

I've scanned for virus (I use Avast but installed some others to try finding anything), made a regclean, disabled some services at startup, but no sucess at all...

The scenarios where this gives that kind of behavior is when I try to clear the recycle bin and/or using USB storage. I have 1 SSD and 1 HD from factory, I've tried to enable the crashdumps to try to analyse the error (no sucess), tried to active the crashdumps on regedit (no sucuess either), the event viewer doesn't show anything useful at all.

Can someone give me a light to investigate or solve? I'm desperate to continue using this notebook, which wasn't cheap at all 😞

Thanks a lot!
3 REPLIES 3

hmscott
Level 12
Dopp0 wrote:
I've cleaned install a windows 8.1 on my notebook 4 months ago, and from one month to now it started freezing windows in a way that I can't start Task Manager, the mouse STAYS responsive, but doesn't click on anything, even CTRL+ALT+DEL almost always doesn't respond, giving an error that if failed to show the options, and sometimes it doesn't even give that error and does anything, forcing me to shut down on power button.

I've scanned for virus (I use Avast but installed some others to try finding anything), made a regclean, disabled some services at startup, but no sucess at all...

The scenarios where this gives that kind of behavior is when I try to clear the recycle bin and/or using USB storage. I have 1 SSD and 1 HD from factory, I've tried to enable the crashdumps to try to analyse the error (no sucess), tried to active the crashdumps on regedit (no sucuess either), the event viewer doesn't show anything useful at all.

Can someone give me a light to investigate or solve? I'm desperate to continue using this notebook, which wasn't cheap at all 😞

Thanks a lot!

Dopp0, if you tied it to USB storage, then that is likely it. There are some controllers that are incompatible with the USB 3.0 controllers in the G750, and freeze on startup and while accessing the USB device (recycle/trash will check all attached drives) has caused this for me in the past on other motherboards - the solution is to stop using those external controllers, or in one case to move the USB device to another controller - the motherboard had 2 kinds - and that worked.

Sometimes putting a USB hub between the laptop and the device can decouple the behavior, sometimes not.

Is the USB device 2.0 or 3.0? Try getting a new USB 3.0 enclosure and move the drive to it. That worked for me too.

Here is the controller I use now, USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Enclosure JU-SA0H11-S1
http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-i...

If you need a 3.5" enclosure, this one looks like it is from the same controller line, and it is available from RadioShack 🙂
http://www.siig.com/usb-3-0-to-ide-sata-6gb-s-2-5-enclosure.html
https://www.radioshack.com/siig-ju-sa0h11-s1-3-5ide-sata-drive-enclosure/55070027.html

I would start by removing the USB devices and see if the problem goes away. If you can't live without the USB 3.0 storage, try hooking it up through a computer/router and share it over the network, if you can't do that use a USB 2.0/3.0 hub in between.

Some USB 3.0 external drive controllers have a problem with power management. When they go into power save mode they put out a signal that can cause this too, a disconnect that doesn't wake up.

Western Digital has an app you can download to turn off the external drive power save mode to stop it from their end.

G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-extern...

You can also stop it from the G750 end by disabling Power Management for that internal USB hubs (do all of them to make sure) using Device Manager, I disable it on all the internal hubs on all my laptops - actually I usually go around and disable it for wifi/bt/ethernet devices too to stop disconnects.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

Dopp0
Level 7
I'll make some tests to check if without using the USB it works ok, thanks!

Answering your question:

1) All are USB3, most of them Western Digital's MyPassport (1TB and 2TB) external harddrives, at least when the problem occours, because I work with too many files for the notebook to store them 😞

2) They are not SATA drivers, I would buy those solutions you've suggested. Maybe then try a Hub, I'll try to find a good one here in Brazil, only if I had some Radioshack here it would be fine!

The really bizarre thing is the issue to render Windows totally unresponsive (even CTRL+ALT+DEL), and not only stopping reading the external device itself 😞

Dopp0 wrote:
I'll make some tests to check if without using the USB it works ok, thanks!

Answering your question:

1) All are USB3, most of them Western Digital's MyPassport (1TB and 2TB) external harddrives, at least when the problem occours, because I work with too many files for the notebook to store them 😞

2) They are not SATA drivers, I would buy those solutions you've suggested. Maybe then try a Hub, I'll try to find a good one here in Brazil, only if I had some Radioshack here it would be fine!

The really bizarre thing is the issue to render Windows totally unresponsive (even CTRL+ALT+DEL), and not only stopping reading the external device itself 😞

Dopp0, I added another important item about Western Digital power management not being compatible with some USB controllers, like in the G751 and maybe/likely the G750 to the post, but in case you didn't refresh the thread and missed it, here it is again:

Some USB 3.0 external drive controllers have a problem with power management. When they go into power save mode they put out a signal that can cause this too, a disconnect that doesn't wake up.

Western Digital has an app you can download to turn off the external drive power save mode to stop it from their end.

G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-extern...

You can also stop it from the G750 end by disabling Power Management for that internal USB hubs (do all of them to make sure) using Device Manager, I disable it on all the internal hubs on all my laptops - actually I usually go around and disable it for wifi/bt/ethernet devices too to stop disconnects.

Since you have Western Digital devices I would check out that Western Digital support post and use the app to disable Power Management on them as well as the G750, and see if that fixes it for you 🙂