cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower internet download speeds

_h___
Level 7
Hello folks,

I noticed that my download speeds are slower by circa 5Mbps on average from other PCs in my house. Even computers connected through WiFi get higher speeds.

I have 20/1 Mbps connection (can't get anything better in here sadly) and while "normal" measured speeds are around 15-18 Mbps (speedtest.net), my desktop with RVE (Intel Ethernet I218-V adapter)
can only climb to 11.6 Mbps max. PC I've build a while ago for my wife runs on P8Z77-I DELUXE (ITX), is connected to same router with same cable, yet can get much higher speeds. Same goes for laptops, hell even cellphones/tablets.

I wouldn't mind this drop if I was running 100+ Mbps connection, however in my situation it's quite significant. I had this problem since the day I purchased the board and was kind of hoping BIOS updates would solve this issue, however no such luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I tried OS reinstall, driver reinstall, changing settings of the controller itself, nothing helped.
23 REPLIES 23

broncogr
Level 10
Try moving a large file INSIDE the network.
What speeds do you get then?

_h___
Level 7
11.5-12 MB/s, or around 100 Mbps. I don't have cross cables (or gigabit router) so I'm limited when it comes to in-network transfers.

broncogr
Level 10
Ok, so it looks like your Ethernet connection is fine...

_h___
Level 7
Well between computers that is. My old X58 with Marvel controller could achieve higher download speeds than what I have now, which I find very strange.

broncogr
Level 10
Since you are getting the maximum speeds through your network, it doesn't look like there is something at fault here.
The way I see it here, download speeds are only affected by your line and router, not by your motherboard as you have already stated that you get the maximum through your network when moving files inside the LAN.
BTW, is this a fresh install of windows?

Chino
Level 15

_h___
Level 7
I'll try latest drivers and get back to you.

Yes fresh install. I know what you are trying to say, but by using same router with same cable plugged in the same port my RVE desktop has slower download than wife's pc (my hardware is faster). Line feed was constant during the test (I can monitor this real-time directly on router).

Edit: Chino, you mean latest drivers from mobo support page or intel page?

Edit2: Now I feel dumb. It was the driver from Asus support page. Latest Intel driver dated 28/10/2014 did the trick. I urge everyone having this problem, go download these Intel drivers and give them a spin.

Thank you for your replies.

_h___
Level 7
And I'm back. I found out that after restart my download speed lowers back to 11-12 Mbit/s. When I uninstall the driver and install it right back, everything is fine i.e. speeds are back. Then after restart it screws up again.

It's slowly turning to pure frustration.

Any ideas?

fanf74
Level 7
Hi ,

do you have installed ROG GAME FIRST ?