cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jh Bricked Bios after update [solved]

Mitko
Level 7
Hi! I need help with my Asus g750jh. I bricked BIOS after update. Can anyone send me dump of BIOS asus g750jh? thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

hmscott
Level 12
Mitko wrote:
Hi! I need help with my Asus g750. I bricked BIOS after update. Can anyone send me dump of BIOS asus g750? thanks!

Mitko, if you bricked your G750JH during a BIOS update you need to send in your laptop to get the BIOS chip replaced - or the whole motherboard needs replacing on those models with a soldered on BIOS chip.

Asus will RMA it, but you need to file a request here:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry with clear description of problem and request repair RMA.

You can't fix it with a dump of BIOS from another G750JH.

Given your description, perhaps there is something else wrong, and it isn't booting, but can you get into the BIOS?

What are the symptoms when you power on the laptop?

From power off, press the power button to turn it on, then start tapping the F2 key - not Fn+F2, just F2, and see if that gets you into the BIOS.

Please let me know if that works.

I tried to remove the Battery and the power cable, removed the small 3.3V battery inside, pressed the power button for 2 minute, nothing. The BIOS settings won't reset

Mitko
Level 7
laptop is not POST-ing, F2 key is not working, the display stays black.

Mitko wrote:
laptop is not POST-ing, F2 key is not working, the display stays black.

Mitko, there used to be a sticky posting in the G75 forum that gave the startup sequence to flash from a USB thumb drive, when you can't get into the existing BIOS. I don't see it there now. It's called an emergency flash.

I think you put the BIOS file, unzipped from the zip file, on to an empty flash drive, and power up holding CTRL+HOME with the USB flash drive plugged in.

I would use a flash drive with an activity light so you can see if the laptop is reading the flash drive.

I would hope Asus names it correctly in the zipfile...but you might try a couple of names. Look at the accompanying text file if any with the proper flash file name, and rename it to that, and look in the description in the download area. You can try all the naming variations.

You could ask Asus if they can send you the directions, then post it here, whether it works for you or not... 🙂

Mitko
Level 7
I've tried various reboot combinations with bios file one flash drive (ctrl, ctrl+hold, fn+esc,m,f,b ...etc) it is not work.
When i used a combination CTRL+HOME it's seemed begins to read information from a flash but then everything stops and nothing happened.

Mitko wrote:
I've tried various reboot combinations with bios file one flash drive (ctrl, ctrl+hold, fn+esc,m,f,b ...etc) it is not work.
When i used a combination CTRL+HOME it's seemed begins to read information from a flash but then everything stops and nothing happened.

Mitko, ok so CTRL+HOME is the key combo, but now we need to get the file name correct.

Do you have a G750JH or G750JHA, there are 2 different BIOS branches, and you need the right one.

Here is the G750JH support download area:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JH&hashedid=hadqiWUmqVj4iNX5

For the G750JH it is BIOS 206, for the G750JHA it is the BIOS 204:

Which one have you tried? And, what name did you give the file?

The file names I get when unzipping the 2 BIOS's are:

G750JHA-AS.204
G750JHAS.206

If I load then in Windows in Winflash I see the file named the model name, G750JHA and G750JH

My G750JHA sees I already have this BIOS loaded and complains.

My G750JHA sees this is a BIOS for another model, and complains.

Try putting 1 at a time on the flash drive, name G750JHA-AS.204 as G750JHA.bin and then G750JHAS.206 as G750JH.bin

Make sure to use only 1 file at a time to make sure the laptop doesn't read one it doesn't like first, and stops.

See which one the laptop likes 🙂

Mitko
Level 7
i'v tried AMIBOOT.BIN AMIBOOT.ROM G750JHAS.206 G750JHAS.ROM G750JHAS.BIN G750JH.ROM,BIN,206... nothing 😞 do you know another combinations?

Mitko wrote:
i'v tried AMIBOOT.BIN AMIBOOT.ROM G750JHAS.206 G750JHAS.ROM G750JHAS.BIN G750JH.ROM,BIN,206... nothing 😞 do you know another combinations?

Mitko, refresh the page ALT-R in your browser, I have updated the post, here are the names I suggest:

Try putting 1 at a time on the flash drive, name G750JHA-AS.204 as G750JHA.bin and then G750JHAS.206 as G750JH.bin

Make sure to use only 1 file at a time to make sure the laptop doesn't read one it doesn't like first, and stops.

hmscott
Level 12
Mitko, finally found the thread I was recalling, here is the link to the procedure and the steps listed here too:

G750JZ - Boot Failure (this points to the steps used to fix a G750JH-DB71)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47017-G750JZ-Boot-Failure&p=405011&viewfull=1#post405011

"What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works"

Maybe you need to do the "Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys" step precisely to get it to work.