cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot from DVD on new ROG G20

rashley
Level 7
This machine is running Windows 8.1 in SecureBoot. I can get into BIOS/UEFI and disable SecureBoot (by going to Key Management and disabling the SecureBoot keys), then enabling CSM, changing boot order to the DVD, setting the Other OS rather than Windows UEFI and still it won't boot from the DVD. It just ignores it and then brings me back to BIOS. I would like to install Linux but can't unless I can boot from a device other than the HDD.

Hopefully someone has done this before. It's possible, although unlikely, that the BIOS/UEFI is somehow corrupt and the machine just won't boot from alternate devices.

This is driving me crazy.
3 REPLIES 3

toronto699 wrote:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54457-ROG-G20-Overhaul G20 Thread

http://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_G20AJ/HelpDesk/ G20 driver page

Neither the thread nor the driver page had anything to help me 😞

I'm starting to think that the BIOS is just not working correctly. Booting from DVD is really not a big deal if SecureBoot isn't running but now the DVD doesn't even show up as an option. I've gotten 5 different boot options at once, all of which are Windows Boot Manager. I wonder if there is something wrong with the motherboard.

rashley wrote:
Neither the thread nor the driver page had anything to help me 😞

I'm starting to think that the BIOS is just not working correctly. Booting from DVD is really not a big deal if SecureBoot isn't running but now the DVD doesn't even show up as an option. I've gotten 5 different boot options at once, all of which are Windows Boot Manager. I wonder if there is something wrong with the motherboard.

Hi,

Did you find a solution for this? I had 5 boot devices, but after disabling some and setting DVD player as first boot priority, it booted from dvd , but after going back in the bios after a reboot I can only see 3 boot devices and the DVDs is not there anymore and my to shiva drive also disappeared from the boot priority list. Any ideas?