cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM and CPU upgrading G60VX

FreeDog523
Level 7
Hi all, I'm a avid fan of the ASUS gaming laptops, and I have just finished reconstructing my G60VX laptop from spare parts I got off of ebay.

So the scoop is that I want to know what is possible with this thing, and I from reading quite a few threads, there is a strange difference between the Best Buy version of this laptop versus one that is bought elsewhere, namely CPU compatibility. I keep reading that Best Buy's version of the G60VX cannot support quad core, but others can. Has anyone been able to dig up actual evidence that this is true? And on that note, anyone able to directly identify their laptop as a best buy version or vice versa? The thing is that I have an old one that I bought from best buy years ago, it specifically stated on the label under the bar code on the back that it was a G60VX-RBBX05, so no question on what it is. The one that I have repaired came from EBay, and it doesn't have the same bar code on the back, doesn't list the RBBX05 anywhere no a serial number, and who knows if the guy used a spare motherboard or not.

I've used CPUID to get the basic info here is the information:

So I'm wondering, has anyone able to verify their motherboard as not the Best Buy version or not, whether this rumor of being able to support quad core cpu is true, and what is the maximum RAM supported because I think 8GB but I've heard different? Just asking as if I was a hobbyist that loves my blue shiny g60vx and would like to get it cooking away.
3 REPLIES 3

FreeDog523
Level 7
Well for anyone interested, since there was no real way to determine if this laptop was able to support the quad core processor till I have the money to just try it and see if it works, I have gone with what I know is possible from others experience as far as the upgrade goes.

What I upgraded:
-- RAM to 8GB DDR2
-- CPU to Intel Dual Core Extreme X9100 3.06 GHZ

Just the above made it run better as far as loading and processing info. I did the heat mod, and that helped a lot with the cooling. The only problem is that the X9100 CPU demands a lot of wattage, so as expected it caused greater heating issues, though not as I expected. Instead of the CPU heating up a lot which it actually is cooler than the previous on was, the GPU had trouble. I suspect somehow the extra juice and heat is getting transferred to the GPU chip somehow, and that's why it has problems. So I invested in a cooling pad and it seems to keep the temps within acceptable ranges, but without it, it is impossible to play anything that is graphic intensive because the GPU overheats and the screen goes crazy!

Another thing that I found, because some people have been trying to control the fan, NoteBook Fan Control,

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/04/this-handy-tool-keeps-your-laptops-fan-under-control/

it has been great for controlling the fan in this laptop, any of the ASUS profiles in this software work, and I can turn the fan to 100% constant when I am playing and then set it to a constant 37.5% or so when I am just doing normal stuff, because I hate how this laptop allows the GPU to get to 80 degrees C before it kicks the fan on for a few seconds, and then lets it heat up again. Very annoying, now it stays between 40-50 degrees C when I am doing normal stuff at 37.5% fan speed.

Hi FreeDog,

When you upgrade to X9100 is there any setting should be change?

I have a problem upgrading to Q9000, the windows won't start. But the Bios read the processor, do you have any suggestion?

Hi, I will borrow this thread for a question.
First, thank you for sharing your info, it helped me to figure out what cpu I could go for.
I have just bought a X9100 to upgrade my G60VX
I picket one up from E-bay and installed it.
But my G60VX will not start with the new cpu installed. Power led lights up for 2 second then everything dies. No screen image, no boot image, no boot sound, no bios. Nothing.
After this the power button is dead. If I remove the battery and the power cord I can make the power led flash one more time, then nothing.
So what might be wrong?
All pins are straight and the cpu fits like a glove in the socket. Cpu locking mechanism turns 180 degrees and locks the cpu in place fine. I have repasted with MX4 and that part is fine as well.
I removed the X9100 and installed my T6600 again. With the T6600 everything works fine, so its related to the X9100 for sure.
Anyone who has done the X9100 upgrade who can help me out? I am out of ideas.
I would be very grateful for advice and help.