cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The recent G751 issues... can they be a deal breaker?

scioneer
Level 7
I've noticed that a lot of people are having issues with their g751 laptops on this forum, dead pixels, sound problems, and just software and hardware problems in general. The new g751 laptops are great products, price-wise and spec-wise. I'd just flat-out buy the thing if it didn't have those problems. Are these problems happening just because they're new products that'd just been released, or will they permanently affect g751 chassis laptops alike? Will they be fixed later on when ASUS decides to update their drivers to resolve their issues? Because it's either the g751 or the gt72 for me. 😞
15 REPLIES 15

toronto699
Level 13
your guess is as good as anyones who knows . I have 2 G751-JY-DH72X {Upgraded} for business {TV Post Production Editing}, both work flawlessly. But if I would have bought a unit with a defect I would have sent it back ASAP , as for the audio issue {sub sound only} I believe it will never be resolved. Why accept a new laptop with issues ,defects , that May Never Be Fixed. u paid good hard earned cash its unacceptable

fidelity101
Level 7
Knock on wood...I've been very lucky to date. I've had a few of the problems others have seen like the left USB disconnects, the sound issues, etc., but it hasn't been anything that's kept me from enjoying the laptop. I had the G750JZ for a very short period of time and I really like the red keyboard over the white keyboard and I like the style of the G751 over the G750. It's EXTREMELY fast with gaming which is why I purchased it in the first place. It works great when connected to my BenQ 24" monitor for 3D gaming and the battery life is pretty decent considering the power it has.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and this is my second Asus ROG laptop in 2 years.

I see, gaming-wise it is still pretty good? In that case, i'd go with the gt72, i'm still researching in their forums to look for any problems that befuddle their model.

If you purchase a 751 series laptop, just do what I did, and plan on sending it back. That way you don't set yourself up for disappointment when you receive a faulty product. I bought the JT, and other than the sound problem, I have a trackpad that is popping up a little bit on the right side. I've decided to live with it though, because the chances of sending it back and getting one in worse condition is too high.

geneticweapon wrote:
If you purchase a 751 series laptop, just do what I did, and plan on sending it back. . .

I've been thinking about buying a g751 for a long time now, I have several concerns that have kept me from finalizing the deal for over a month now, but I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger and hope for the best and be ready to return it if necessary. My final decision now is where to buy it from (US). I'm currently leaning towards HIDevolution, only because based on their website they seem to know more about what g751 customers are looking for than the others, as they are the only (US) site that specifically offers to install a PCIe SSD in a JT-CH1 model, most sites don't offer it or only offer a SATA3 SSD, but I'm currently researching the customer service aspect of each site cause I feel like there is a good chance I will need it.

tjbc wrote:
I've been thinking about buying a g751 for a long time now, I have several concerns that have kept me from finalizing the deal for over a month now, but I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger and hope for the best and be ready to return it if necessary. My final decision now is where to buy it from (US). I'm currently leaning towards HIDevolution, only because based on their website they seem to know more about what g751 customers are looking for than the others, as they are the only (US) site that specifically offers to install a PCIe SSD in a JT-CH1 model, most sites don't offer it or only offer a SATA3 SSD, but I'm currently researching the customer service aspect of each site cause I feel like there is a good chance I will need it.

I bought My G751-JY-DH72X from HIDevolution with 3 SSDs and upgraded ram I could not be more happier

ExpatGamer
Level 7
Overall, I'm pretty pleased my G751. I don't have any of the manufacturing defects I've seen reported by others. Only the tiniest bit of light bleed on the bottom of the screen.

The only outstanding issues I have with it, the speaker problem and high temps, are software problems that I expect to be patched. See my thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating) for more on why I think the high temps are just the result of a poorly configured fan profile.

Everything else is performing as expected. The IPS panel looks great. Its definitely one thing the G751 has over the GT72 unless you spring for one of the $3000+ models.

Toronto699, greetings from another Torontonian! Are you doing any rendering on your G751s? I ask because some of us have got near or gone over thermal throttling temp (93C) while stress testing with FurMark & Prime95 Small FFT. Rendering is probably the only other activity that would push the system as hard. How are your temperatures?

toronto699
Level 13
I just checked my G751 order HIDevolution added lC Diamond compound on CPU and GPU as upgrade . I never check temps. but fans are loud at times. I render some , ill check temps

By the way, despite the temp here in the Philippines my laptop was strangely quiet and cool even after my 6 hrs marathon of d3 reaper gaming(considering I played in a quiet room and music off setting). The heat exhaust works very well and kept my keyboard and palm rest area in comfortable temp unlike my other laptop like yoga 2 pro which heats up after 1 hr of Netflix viewing or sony vaio after 2 hrs of internet browsing