cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an Asus G750JS-T4129H laptop - some questions before purchase

tian447
Level 7
I'm looking to buy an Asus ROG laptop, and the one that has struck me at the minute is the G750JS-T4129H version. It is currently on sale for £1099, which is £300 cheaper than everywhere else, so I'm quite tempted as it fits my budget a bit better than the higher price which I can't really stretch to (or justify on my current wages). I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the URL to link to the website, so I will leave it for now, but will add it upon request, but I'm fairly sure you can just search for the model number and it will appear.

Since the best part of £1100 is quite a bit of money, and it's quite difficult to get a look at one of these laptops unless you know someone who has one, I have a few questions:

1) I notice that a lot of people have some concerns (i.e. moan) about the Matte screen found on these laptops. So far I've been unable to find out what screen is on this model (G750JS-T4129H). Does anyone know about this? What sort of screen is on it? Is it the 120Hz glossy screen, or the 60Hz matte screen?

2) What is the build quality like on these laptops? I'm a bit concerned that they might be a bit rubbish.

3) What does the brushed aluminium effect look like for the keyboard palm rest area? Does it look a bit tacky, or does it actually look quite nice "in person". Pictures online don't really do it justice.

4) Would you recommend going for it? All the different model numbers are quite confusing, as there seem to be lots of different versions of the same thing.

I keep thinking I'm just going to go for it, but then it gets to actually putting my credit card details in, and I bottle it! 😛

I'm just looking for a bit of advice or thoughts on this before deciding either way.

Cheers!
9 REPLIES 9

thunderbird
Level 7
Hi tian447,

I'm looking at exactly the same laptop, and have the same questions. I've been doing lots of research in the last 2 days, and the gist of my results so far is that this is a bargain for the price.

You've probably seen this already but this website has a good review of nearly the same model http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G750JS-T4064H-Gaming-Notebook-Review.116946.0.html. Checking on Youtube there are many reviews of the G750 series and all of them rave about it.
I think tomorrow I'm going to pull the trigger on this one and get it whilst you still can.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G750JS-T4064H-Gaming-Notebook-Review.116946.0.html

Hopefully an exsiting owner will come forward and post their views, but if not at least under DSR you can reject it for full refund.
Cheers

tian447
Level 7
Hi thunderbird,

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

The links you posted are another reason that I get confused with the whole process of buying this model of laptop. The one we're looking at is an Asus G750JS-T4129H and your links are for an Asus G750JS-T4064H. Dead similar (both G750JS) but they seem to have slightly different specs, mainly:

T4069H has:
i7-4700HQ
256GB SSD + 750GB HDD
12GB RAM
GTX 870M 3GB
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/G750JS-T4069H-ASUS-G750JS-T4069H_1552195.html

T4129H has:
i7-4710HQ
128GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
16GB RAM
GTX 870M 6GB
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/G750JS-T4129H-ASUS-G750JS-T4129H_1627260.html

So minor differences as you pointed out, but similar prices. What's the deal with that?

I'd love to know which one of these 2 to go for.

My main concern is the screen. If one of the other forum posters / owners could post their insights and help the 2 of us out, that would be fantastic! 🙂

tian447
Level 7
One other quick question.

I had a quick look at a video on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmIy5cWEGtQ

At the 3 minute mark, he is barely pressing the top of the laptop, but the flex seems to be quite pronounced for minimal pressure applied.

Is this something you have noticed with your models?

tian,

Just had confimation from SOL that they are brand new straight from factory, and confirmed with them that they are 2 year warranty. Finger poised over buy button......

I phoned them earlier to ask about the screen, but they didn't seem to know any technical specs.

I'm debating just going for it as well...! It's already in the shopping cart haha

thunderbird
Level 7
Hi tian,

Took a look at the video you mentioned, yes there's a bit of give I agree, but I did some searching online for Asus screen issues with respect of the G750 series and couldn't come up with much.

I found one other web site that mentions some flexibilty, but to be honest I think all screens will flex if you bend them hard enough! The good thing is that Asus give a 2 year warranty, and for £50 on their web site you can increase that to 3 years! So I think it's well covered. Plus given the size and weight of the thing I'm not about to be lugging it about that often.

All the videos I've seen are positive, my only other thought was an MSI, but that's more money than this one, and they seem to suffer with heat/fan noise, therefore I ruled it out.

Wish an owner would make a comment here before the deal ends. I think that the company we are both looking at has managed to get a special build with a few extras thrown in from Asus?

To me still looks like a good deal, I will make my choice today as my luck goes they will run out of stock!

Let me know if you have any further information.

Cheers

tian447
Level 7
I'm still torn between the T4069H and the T4129H - the specs seem lower on the T4069H but the RRP was almost £300 higher. Surely there must be some sort of reason for this. I know you should never go by the RRP, but this seems bizarre for a machine with lower specs!!

tian447
Level 7
Thunderbird,

I just wanted to let you know that I went for it and bought the Asus G750JS-T4129H from the link above. It arrived today and I've spend the past hour playing around with it.

The good points:

1) The build quality is fantastic. Everything about it feels solid and well built. The screen flex that I was worried about is minimal, and is much less pronounced than in other Asus Laptops (I still have an A52F version and it seems to be made of newspaper in comparison).

2) The keyboard is lovely. The keys have a very nice depress to them, and it is quite comfortable to type on. The backlight seems to have 4 brightness settings (might be 5) and there is minimal backlight bleeding - there is some on the function keys but nothing excessive.

3) The thing is quick. Very quick. Maybe it's in comparison to a 5 year old Asus laptop, but it's like lightning. Love it.

4) I've tested it out with Mass Effect 3 and Minecraft on some high settings, and it's a dream.

5) THE SCREEN - It is great. I was worried about it being dull and horrible, but the anti glare screen is still fantastic. I'm glad I never let the matte effect put me off, because it's fine. Much better than hardly being able to see your stuff on the screen in bright light, like in an office!

6) The speakers are loud. Very loud.

7) I am very very happy with it.

The bad:

1) The subwoofer isn't very powerful, but this is hardly a surprise.

If you haven't already bought it yet, I highly recommend it!

hello tian447,

damned i'm from singapore, and your config for the 750JS is impressive.