Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero VII cooling question

taksdd
Level 7
Hi,
I am planning to go with Asus ROG Hero VII which has:

2x CPU fan headers (4pin with PWM)
and 4x Case Fans (4 pins without PWM). Apparently motherboard controls the fans with voltage. I have few questions with regards to
that:

• What is the difference between PWM and 4 Pin Voltage Controlled Header?
  • If I would like to add extra fan to the motherboard is there any splitter for that? (I would like to have all fans controlled)
  • How does the motherboard control fans (I.e. does it adjust speed to temperatures in case? Does it have any sensors ??
  • For the voltage controlled fans do I need them to be PWM?

Thank you
17 REPLIES 17

Kricke
Level 7
I was reading about this and on all ROG Z97 motherboards every 4 pin fan connector is actually PWM controlled and it is a miss print in the manuals.

If you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OX4a6yQ9n0 (it's about the Hero) JJ talks about the fan headers around 24 min in..

//K

Kricke
Level 7
After some more google time,,, Im not 100% sure that the Impact fan headers (exept the CPU one) are PWM,,, due to not able to change in UFEI from DC to PWM..

Hopefully the ASUS gurus in here will provide the answer for Impact??
ASUS really needs to correct the manuals!!...

Puffnstuff
Level 10
The bios has qfan tuning for all attached fans and once you get into windows it still will work however you can run ai suite 3 and further tune the fans to your individual preferences.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

taksdd
Level 7
Puffnstuff but which of them are pwm/not pwm.. not sure what fans should I buy..

Nate152
What case do you have? You could get the same brand of PWM fans for your case.

taksdd
Level 7
Corsair 750D...
Natel I am not sure - some people say that Maximus Hero VII has 2x Pwm (CPU and CPU OPT) and 4x Case "fake" 4 pin headers that use voltage control.. which means that PWM wouldn't be so great..

When I look at motherboard specification the CPU header has: Gnd, CPU PWR, CPU Fan In and CPU fan PWM

But the case header has: Gnd, Case Fan Pwr, Case Fan in and +5v ..
People call it the fake 4-pin fan header.. I am not sure what is the role of it if the +5v is actually fixed..

Nate152

taksdd
Level 7
I think 750D doesn't come with PWM fans though.. I might need to replace these then

Nate152
Yes the fans need to be PWM, there are some great looking corsair PWM fans too. You may need 120mm or 140mm, double check to be sure.

Here are some, make sure they say PWM some don't.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=corsair+sp120+performance&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=352...